IGNORED

City V Barnsley

Bristol Boy

Well, as I predicted, GJ made a couple of changes, one enforced and one very sensible.

I still prefer 3-5-2 but I've no complaints, as the midfield interchanged during the game and that allowed all of the players to move into the central areas and excel.

The full backs were excellent and that gave us better width.It's particularly important on the left as Brown isn't naturally left footed.

Stewart had his best game since joining, although I could have slapped him for that stupid tackle and his FOURTH needless booking.

We played a high temp passing game which suits us and, in fairness, that's what Tins said he wanted, he just couldn't get the same players to do it.

A really enjoyable night and I can honestly look forward to more of them, because we looked like a team.

We had defenders who wanted to head the thing and tackle.The midfield wanted the ball, all of the time and the front players made some excellent runs and enjoyed far better than normal service.

Without being churlish, we tired in the second half and seemed to run out of ideas a bit.It would've been nice to score another but I'd have settled for 3-0 before the start and I'd settle for any win Saturday, although goals are important as we try to claw back from the minus 8 before last nights' game.

My only slight concern is when we play away. Do we have the ability to soak up pressure and break or will we try to dominate, as at home?

I read a post about Doherty & Coles.I'll tell you, they'd struggle to get in that team.

At least I can see where GJ's coming from and what he's trying to do.

Six goals-Six Points AND the performance level promises more, which, as I've said in the past, is the key.

PHILLIPS 8/10 Some excellent saves & handling, on the quiet, particularly down at the feet of players who got inside Orr on the left of Barnsleys attack.

ORR 8/10 Looks confident, assured and effective, although I would've liked to see him get forward a little more and put in some more crosses.Very promising and YES, Bradley you are a defender!!! Enjoy it, because you look like you're worth a few bob there, son! Oh, and the only time you didn't look class was when you tried to 50 yarders...........so don't!

WOODMAN 8/10 Confident display and very solid.Some decent breaks forward and needs to do that more whilst realising that his priority is defending.Defended well.

SANKOFA 8/10 Never put a foot wrong and didn't seem to break sweat.Excellent positioning and you'd have thought that he and DP had played together for months.Didn't overdo it and looks quick, strong and clean in the challenge, hence a player that will avoid bookings.

PARTRIDGE 8/10 Looks every inch a £150k player and justifies Tins decision to fork out the money for him, even moreso with Heywood out.Beginning to look like a leader & organiser.

COTTERILL 6/10 Worked his socks off supporting BO.All the tricks have to lead to something and I wonder if GJ will play him away or possibly switch SB to the right and bring in a left winger on loan/ play Smith, as GJ's wide players have bit of licence to come infield to effect the game.Same complaint as always.END PRODUCT, LACK OF.

SKUSE 8/10 Outstanding performance.Covered every balde of grass but not like a headless chicken.He did it with great purpose.His positioning was better and he played some excellent, neat 20/30 yard driven passes that were exquisitly weighted.I lost count of the attacks he broke up aNd this was his best game of the season by a mile.He set up Stewarts pen.

WILKSHIRE 8/10 Superb through ball for Brookers goal and got forward to good effect, although the finishing needs improving.Linked well with the other midfielders, showed a good engine and movement.

BROWN 8/10 Excellent run to set up Stewarts second goal which killed Barnsley stone dead.Effective enough coming in off the left.I'd like to see more shots from him, but what a competitor.Linked well with CW at times.

BROOKER 8/10 Fine finish for the goal and lead the line well.More than justified his selection and still our biggest goal threat.

STEWART 8/10 Good finish,Good penalty and some fine movement.His best game since signing but what the hell was that tackle about?? Cut that out Marcus and you'll be a better player for it.No "well at least he's passionate," crap from our younger Forum Brethren, please.

SUBS

Murray 5/10 Had a go but, let's be honest, it's just not there anymore, is it?

Bridges 6/10 Some nice touches and if Stewart was injured/suspended, I'd go for him as a replacement because I think he'd dovetail nicely with Brooker and is our most similar player to Stewart.

Madjo 5/10 The main problem was the timing of his runs and our passing.I put that down to the fact that we're so used to having slower players up front, we've stopped giving the quick through ball into the channell or over the top, as an option, since LL left for Reading.Like I said he's raw but I'd persevere with him because he's different from our other strikers, GJ seems good with the kids and he's obviously not costing a fortune. :D

Can't see any changes for Saturday, barring injuries.

Agree almost 100% and pretty much in line with conversations I have had today.

Good to see Phillips not dropped, as suggested by you BB!!, he is a quality shot stopper and added assertiveness to his game against Barnsley.

Interesting everyone in the start line up gets 8 except Cotterill on 6. I wouldnt disagree with that and one for Davey boy to ponder, because he he is capable of more, the trouble is he gives the ball away too cheaply.

I was pretty sure GJ would bring Brooker in, if fit, he is key and led the line superbly. Madjo looks keen as mustard, but my initial view is he looks exactly what he is - a semi-pro looking to make a very big jump up; poor first touch and offside several times which I don't think you can put down to delayed passes. But he has raw talent and agree he's worth working on.

Skuse I have thought since I first saw him is a midfield player not defender, he has great engine, touch and I said before, he looks as though his long range passing ability could make him the new Tinman.

Brown is awesome, the way he was on their defender for the 3rd goal, I cant imagine anyone else doing. The new Gerry Gow?

I would still like to see Bridges accomodated in the same team as Stewart - but Wilkshire played well and also apparently against Brentford, so fair play to him and long may that continue - his problem for me is consistency, not just game to game but within games - but perhaps GJ will motivate him that bit better.

Orr we have said before is a revelation at right back, and Woodman all of a sudden looks strong and grown up rather than a lost boy in a mans game.

Stewart is getting there and is beginning to prove he will do the only thing we really need him to replace Lita for - goals.

The central back two Partridge and Sankofa didnt have that much to do - but did what was necessary very comfortably. The decision by Johnners to bring in Sankofa I find interesting, given my admiration of Keogh. To be fair, the lad is obvious quality, more a Rio Ferdinand than Sol Campbell, and if we have him for just the month while the coaching staff work on the finer points of Keogh's game, it might prove to be astute thinking.

Agree with comments re Murray, which is a real shame, but his runs always ended up with losing the ball - he was only effective when putting in balls from deep, which is fine in a sense, after all Beckham has made a very lucrative career out of that, but it makes him a bit of a one-trick pony and I cant see Johnners using him much.

Roll on Saturday.

:city:

Agree almost 100% and pretty much in line with conversations I have had today.

Good to see Phillips not dropped, as suggested by you BB!!, he is a quality shot stopper and added assertiveness to his game against Barnsley.

The central back two Partridge and Sankofa didnt have that much to do - but did what was necessary very comfortably. The decision by Johnners to bring in Sankofa I find interesting, given my admiration of Keogh. To be fair, the lad is obvious quality, more a Rio Ferdinand than Sol Campbell, and if we have him for just the month while the coaching staff work on the finer points of Keogh's game, it might prove to be astute thinking.

I'll wait until Chesterfield & Doncaster away before making my mind up about Sankofa.Leo Fortune West could be a different kettle of fish than Conlon.

On Phillips, yes he did well but let's see away from home when more crosses come into our box.

Now, let's beat 'Pool

Archived