IGNORED

Don't Worry About The Defence

Port Said Red

After nearly a 1/4 of the season gone only 3 sides in this division have conceded a goal a game (Brentford, Bournemouth and Port Vale). The rest are all averaging a higher average figure and although we statistically have the worse defence currently, that figure is skewed by the Swansea debacle.

Magic J. clearly believes that attack is the best form of defence and judging by league standings that seems to be borne out. The top teams are there because of the goals scored, rather than their miserly defences.

Personally I was so wrapped up in our own poor showings that I hadn't noticed just how even this league is again. Even the top 3 have already dropped 10 points each at this early stage, and yet are 5 points clear of fourth! This seems quite unusual to me, there almost always seem to at least one team that would be unbeaten or at least close to it at this stage.

Unless those teams get more consistent a good unbeaten run by any side in the chasing pack will surely see them top of the league by Christmas. The signs are that it could be us.

After nearly a 1/4 of the season gone only 3 sides in this division have conceded a goal a game (Brentford, Bournemouth and Port Vale). The rest are all averaging a higher average figure and although we statistically have the worse defence currently, that figure is skewed by the Swansea debacle.

Magic J. clearly believes that attack is the best form of defence and judging by league standings that seems to be borne out. The top teams are there because of the goals scored, rather than their miserly defences.

Personally I was so wrapped up in our own poor showings that I hadn't noticed just how even this league is again. Even the top 3 have already dropped 10 points each at this early stage, and yet are 5 points clear of fourth! This seems quite unusual to me, there almost always seem to at least one team that would be unbeaten or at least close to it at this stage.

Unless those teams get more consistent a good unbeaten run by any side in the chasing pack will surely see them top of the league by Christmas. The signs are that it could be us.

Yes it is very open again but we have a lot of catching up to do if we're going to come through the pack.

We've played 11 games so have 35 left to play. If we average 2 points per game from here on in we'll still 'only' be on 83 points (unless my maths is is crap as it was when I was in school).

That might just be enough for a top 2 finish but is more likely to be 3rd or 4th place. It'll be a big ask for us to hit the top of the table from where we are. Not impossible but it will more than likely require us to pick up more than 2 points per game which is asking a lot of any team.

Yes it is very open again but we have a lot of catching up to do if we're going to come through the pack.

We've played 11 games so have 35 left to play. If we average 2 points per game from here on in we'll still 'only' be on 83 points (unless my maths is is crap as it was when I was in school).

That might just be enough for a top 2 finish but is more likely to be 3rd or 4th place. It'll be a big ask for us to hit the top of the table from where we are. Not impossible but it will more than likely require us to pick up more than 2 points per game which is asking a lot of any team.

All true, but the evidence so far suggests there aren't going to be many others capable of averaging 2 points per game either. As is often the case, the teams that perform best through the injuries and suspensions that accumulate throughout the season will have a huge advantage. I believe we are one of the best placed teams in that regard.

All true, but the evidence so far suggests there aren't going to be many others capable of averaging 2 points per game either. As is often the case, the teams that perform best through the injuries and suspensions that accumulate throughout the season will have a huge advantage. I believe we are one of the best placed teams in that regard.

Agreed. The way I judge it is to ask myself 'would I take a play off spot right now?'. At the moment, my answer is a resounding 'yes'.

I'm hoping that will change as the season progresses though!

I fully expect Huddersfield and Swansea to be in the top 6 by the end of the season, which leaves us battling for 4 places from a starting point of 19th position. That's speculation of course but they are the two sides I think will maintain it. They may have dropped points but they are still averaging the magic 2 points a game total that is a reasonable benchmark for what is needed to go up in the top 2.

It will take a winning run of the proportions we saw a couple of seasons ago to get us right back in amongst the top positions I think. We can do it but it will be tough.

Archived