IGNORED

A Week Is A Long Time In...football

Southport Red

Was it Harold Wilson who said a week was a long time in politics? well it certainly is at BCFC.

This time last week , many of us were still expecting the announcement of Lennie Lawrence as manager and had a team that ought to be very good, but weren't.

7 days later, we have taken 6 points out of a possible 6, have scored six and conceded only two. Confidence is surging through the team and supporters and the 'blimey we are going to get relaegated this year' posts have been replaced by 'blimey we're only 4 points off the playoffs' posts.

Seems to me that Tinnion was a good judge of player quality (this is his team) but could not get them organised/motivated - a good director of football but not neccessarily a great manager - comments?

So, was it only a week ago that ...

What will happen next week?

Was it Harold Wilson who said a week was a long time in politics? well it certainly is at BCFC.

This time last week , many of us were still expecting the announcement of Lennie Lawrence as manager and had a team that ought to be very good, but weren't.

7 days later, we have taken 6 points out of a possible 6, have scored six and conceded only two. Confidence is surging through the team and supporters and the 'blimey we are going to get relaegated this year' posts have been replaced by 'blimey we're only 4 points off the playoffs' posts.

Seems to me that Tinnion was a good judge of player quality (this is his team) but could not get them organised/motivated - a good director of football but not neccessarily a great manager - comments?

So, was it only a week ago that ...

What will happen next week?

..............O points out of 6, concede 6 and only score 2 players lose all confidence, "blimey we are going to get promoted" posts replaced by "blimey we are heading for relegation posts", and calls for Johnson's head as he doesn't know how to organise or motivate a team and calls for the restoration of Brian Tinnion, who certainly recognised a good player when he was in charge (and he's a City legend).

Well we are the most fickle fans in the league aren't we?

Well we are the most fickle fans in the league aren't we?

I don't think it's a case of being fickle at all, of course there were many negative post's on here and they were sometimes aimed at the wrong targets, but I think it was down to the fact that we care about the club.

The club had spent money and are still spending it in good wages on a squad that included 5 internationals (at their age level) and two ex-premiership stars and it was under achieving in the extreme. The fact that last seasons squad was of a similar or lesser quality and had also under-achieved, called the leadership of both squads into question. Hence the need for change.

The names then bandied around for potential successor were distinctly uninspiring and only maintained the depressed state of mind that we had as a collective.

Then came the announcement of Magic's appointment; everyone has been given a lift and not just because of the results (which are a bonus at this early stage) but because his past record suggests he is a reformer and a winner.

When you consider what we could be looking at tomorrow, we have every right to be optimistic.

Maybe not fickle, but I think we are definitely the fans most susceptible to hype in the League, if not in the entire world.

We either think we'll be promoted with 120 points and the manager is a god or we'll be relegated and should behead him. Players are either heroes or zeroes - no middle ground at all.

Sometimes I think we wouldn't know reasonable optimism if it bit us on the collective arse :devil:

Nibor

Maybe not fickle, but I think we are definitely the fans most susceptible to hype in the League, if not in the entire world.

We either think we'll be promoted with 120 points and the manager is a god or we'll be relegated and should behead him. Players are either heroes or zeroes - no middle ground at all.

Sometimes I think we wouldn't know reasonable optimism if it bit us on the collective arse :devil:

Nibor

My original reply was made with tongue firmly in cheek, but I agree with your view on fans being susceptible to hype.

As regards reasonable optimism, three weeks ago I was reasonably opimistic that we might just escape relegation at the end of the season. I am now reasonably optimistic that we might have a chance of challenging for a play off place come the season end. Is that correct recognition?

The bottom line is this - the manager is the most important employee of any football club, at any level. Look at the impact Wenger has made at Arsenal and where he has taken them since he inherited the shambles left by Bruce Rioch. Look at the difference Fergie has made at Man Utd, turning a team that hadn't won the title for 25 years into one that expected to win it every year; look at Chelsea now compared to how they were under Ranieiri.

Last week we didn't have a manager and at best were looking likely to appoint a journeyman to replace Tinman. Instead Steve L plays a blinder and signs the best 'up and coming' manager in the lower leagues. Result: 6 points from two games and a team that finally knows where it is going and what is expected of it.

The set-up at AG reminds me of the Channel 4 show 'Supernanny' - Tins was one of those hapless parents that spend all their time shouting at their kids, and the kids just ignore them and go on misbehaving. In comes Supernanny Johnson, lays down the guidelines, shows the kids the naughty corner they are going to be sent to if they misbehave, and suddenly we have a disciplined outfit.

Well_Red

The bottom line is this - the manager is the most important employee of any football club, at any level. Look at the impact Wenger has made at Arsenal and where he has taken them since he inherited the shambles left by Bruce Rioch. Look at the difference Fergie has made at Man Utd, turning a team that hadn't won the title for 25 years into one that expected to win it every year; look at Chelsea now compared to how they were under Ranieiri.

Last week we didn't have a manager and at best were looking likely to appoint a journeyman to replace Tinman. Instead Steve L plays a blinder and signs the best 'up and coming' manager in the lower leagues. Result: 6 points from two games and a team that finally knows where it is going and what is expected of it.

The set-up at AG reminds me of the Channel 4 show 'Supernanny' - Tins was one of those hapless parents that spend all their time shouting at their kids, and the kids just ignore them and go on misbehaving. In comes Supernanny Johnson, lays down the guidelines, shows the kids the naughty corner they are going to be sent to if they misbehave, and suddenly we have a disciplined outfit.

Well_Red

Perhaps Tins was just "Superninny"! He sent unruly players to the naughty corner. the problem was it was the naughty corner of one of the bars on the waterfront.

Low lieing parts of Lancashire (or what used to be but is now Scouseland) will be flooded!

Well, we've only got the one game, I was actually looking forward to a Friday evening on the terraces at Chesterfield!!). We can't sign any players other than loans so my predictied headline: Players out on the Jog! Bristol City players have been spotted jogging round Clifton Downs on Tuesday evening.

Asked why one player admitted: "Wow man, we are getting such a kick out of this fitness lark, it's a real drug, just can't get enough of it. As it's our day off tomorrow we thought we'd go out en-masse and put in 10k before heading to the gym for an upper body work-out"

Archived