IGNORED

Which Was Your First City Match

Guest ashtonyate

Guest ashtonyate

As I said in a post my first away match was Colchester in about 1953 in the cup.The first home match I remember was when Wolves came and opened the City first flood lighting system in about 1954. The light were on about 10 pylons around the ground they could be lowered when they were not needed.

Home 1970 - v Sunderland - a 4-3 win which was the day the Doman Stand opened. Although I'd previously been to a few reserve games - the first being a 2-2 draw against Southampton.

Away not sure but I think it was away in the Cup to Orient in 1982 - we lost 4-1 and played in Orient's away strip as we'd forgotten our away strip. If it wasn't that game then it was in 1982 anyhow.

Can anyone beat that? 12 years of hardly missing a home game before going away? I've probably been to more away than home games since then.

Stoke City at home - I believe the first home game of the 76-77 season. I think it was a 1-1 draw but can anyone else help? A tuesday night. I was 13.

Paul Cheesely came on as a sub and suffered that terminal injury - or perhaps it was just a recurrence of what he had already.

The Dolman was pretty much all season tickets that year though I think not exclusively.

Delighted if someone else can recall that game??

Stoke City at home - I believe the first home game of the 76-77 season. I think it was a 1-1 draw but can anyone else help? A tuesday night. I was 13.

Paul Cheesely came on as a sub and suffered that terminal injury - or perhaps it was just a recurrence of what he had already.

The Dolman was pretty much all season tickets that year though I think not exclusively.

Delighted if someone else can recall that game??

Remember it well - Cheese started but went up for a ball with Shilton early on, landed awkwardly and that was basically the end of his career - I can only remember him playing one game (against Birmingham) after that.

My first visit to Ashton Gate and indeed City fixture I THINK (not sure if I went to Swindon 0-1 City earlier that season) was ...

Bristol City 0-4 Swindon Town... Main highlight to a horrible season for Swindon (I wasn't really aware of that back then being only six years old)

Mickey Hazard, Steve White (2) and Duncan Shearer were the goalscorers.

How times have changed.

Guest filtonred

I'd seen games before this one but the first game I remember going to was City 2 Oldham 0 1965 I think.

Dad said we were going to football, Mum said only if I got my hair cut. Coming from Nailsea I went to Stan Hills who came from Oldham, knowing I supported City he was winding me up, you know, sit still I've got a tin of City supporters ears in a tin, when in walked my Dads boss Mr Gale and suddenly Stan was out numbered. Mr gale got carried away and said that if City won and got promotion he would buy me a scarf. Well we did, I remember John Atyeo crying in the directors box, what a day. I waited for my scarf and eventualy it arrived on the eve of the next season along with a penant to hang on my wall. Oh happy days.

Remember it well - Cheese started but went up for a ball with Shilton early on, landed awkwardly and that was basically the end of his career - I can only remember him playing one game (against Birmingham) after that.

That was one hell of a season.

I have a lot of games mixed up in my head and can't recall what season. But what a finish -liverpool at the Gate monday night as champions with the FA cup the next sat and European Cup Final weds of the next week.

Still makes the hair (little remaining) stand up on the back of my neck. Chris Garland.......sorry but this is unreserved nostalgia and why not?

It was pure heaven. Did we reallybeat the European champions that night??????

First home game. I immigrated back from Australia and my new mate said come on down. I was a West Ham fan at the time. It was to be the last day I supported them.

1986/87 22 Nov 1986 Rotherham United 0 - 1 att 6756.

I stood in the East End, at the front with Marlbough Man. He always used to wear this jacket and start all the singing, big lad too! Seen a few times since. Think he lives in Kingswood.

First away game

1986/87 3 Jan 1987 Rotherham United 0 - 2 att 3270.

Remember is bloody cold and we won not much else. I went on CATS still have my ticket!

Archived