IGNORED

Disappointing Afternoon

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

Had Stewart's flicked header, with 39 seconds on the clock, been deft enough to beat the 7' 6"( well, he was big) Hartlepool keeper we might well be discussing another convincing victory, unfortunately it set the scene for the rest of the game. It would be hard to believe any football fan worth his salt could think that Hartlepool deserved the victory, to me they epitomised all that is currently wrong with football as an entertaining spectacle, putting 9 men behind the ball when we had possession.

The final ball was far too often a high floated punt forward (and much the same for the crossing) leaving easy pickings for Hartlepool's towering defence. Some of the distribution was again wayward and Johnson will have some hard work to do with the players to encourage them to play around these big 'hoofing' teams, instead of trying to out battle them in the air.

There are some encouraging signs, Scott Brown looks to be a replacement for Doherty, without the backchat, needless fouls, vomiting on the pitch and lack of fitness. The first half saw the midfield and the defence playing as a unit, winning virtually all the 50/50 balls and a few of the 40/60 ones as well, the fight and spirit seems to be there, heads didn't drop after the goal and we pressed, albeit not too effectively until the final whistle.

Bridges obviously needs games, his miss near the end was the best chance, Brooker having hit an earlier shot straight at the keeper, who did well to stop it.

I shall be interested in Johnson's comments and maybe the two week break will allow him some time to work individually with some players and on fitness levels. Disappointing to lose, it's a shame that teams feel the need to play in the manner Hartlepool do - 5 points for a win anyone?

Had Stewart's flicked header, with 39 seconds on the clock, been deft enough to beat the 7' 6"( well, he was big) Hartlepool keeper we might well be discussing another convincing victory, unfortunately it set the scene for the rest of the game. It would be hard to believe any football fan worth his salt could think that Hartlepool deserved the victory, to me they epitomised all that is currently wrong with football as an entertaining spectacle, putting 9 men behind the ball when we had possession.

The final ball was far too often a high floated punt forward (and much the same for the crossing) leaving easy pickings for Hartlepool's towering defence. Some of the distribution was again wayward and Johnson will have some hard work to do with the players to encourage them to play around these big 'hoofing' teams, instead of trying to out battle them in the air.

There are some encouraging signs, Scott Brown looks to be a replacement for Doherty, without the backchat, needless fouls, vomiting on the pitch and lack of fitness. The first half saw the midfield and the defence playing as a unit, winning virtually all the 50/50 balls and a few of the 40/60 ones as well, the fight and spirit seems to be there, heads didn't drop after the goal and we pressed, albeit not too effectively until the final whistle.

Bridges obviously needs games, his miss near the end was the best chance, Brooker having hit an earlier shot straight at the keeper, who did well to stop it.

I shall be interested in Johnson's comments and maybe the two week break will allow him some time to work individually with some players and on fitness levels. Disappointing to lose, it's a shame that teams feel the need to play in the manner Hartlepool do - 5 points for a win anyone?

Still ten times better than some of the dross recently though.

• Admin

Still ten times better than some of the dross recently though.

It was encouraging as I said, but our attempts to get out of this division have been year on year hampered by the inability to cope with the teams that come for a draw / smash & grab type boring football, I'm sure Johnson knows this and he can't change it overnight, but change it he must, if we are to get promoted.

We played o.k could of been 3 up by halftime. Hartlepool came for a point but got 3 with what was just about their only shot of the game. :dunno:

Our defence was sound but wasnt put under hardly any pressure and their keeper made some decent saves. Bit dissapointed with D.Cotterill and Murray wasnt much better. I.M.H.O.

Looked like we wanted it but Hartlepool wasnt giving it up and they didnt deserve the 3 points.

Nice try City boys.(21 shots on goal according to B.B.C) Maybe next time

:city::city::city:

I came back from Poland really looking forward to this game after what I heard about tuesdays game, I was thinking of a crowd who sang non stop and cheered at every City pass, a team who played like ......... England, full of the joys of a saturday at footy, but..... alas it wasn't to be.

I was bored most of the game :Sleep12: , I think that was because I had set my sights to high on what to exspect, at times you could of heard a pin drop infact at one point I shut my eyes and it was like i was there alone.sat in the warm sun of early october..... sorry i'm rambling :blush: , and the lads looked like they were just out playing in the park, to me they did not really start untill Scott Murray came on, but then he's one of the old team and has that old determined way about him that City used to have. Having said that though, they did play alot better than I have witnessed from the start of the season. I'm getting griefe from my friends in Swansea, and Rovers, but I can give it back to them, I just hope to god the lads can pull it toether and find the goal net for the rest of the season or I am going to hybernate for the next one. :Sleep12:

It was encouraging as I said, but our attempts to get out of this division have been year on year hampered by the inability to cope with the teams that come for a draw / smash & grab type boring football, I'm sure Johnson knows this and he can't change it overnight, but change it he must, if we are to get promoted.

Johnson has the reputation of playing passing football, and got Yeovil from the Conference to League 1 playing that way, against teams who played long ball & negative tactics. I have faith that he'll find a way to deal with this division as well.

• Admin

Johnson has the reputation of playing passing football, and got Yeovil from the Conference to League 1 playing that way, against teams who played long ball & negative tactics. I have faith that he'll find a way to deal with this division as well.

I remain confident that he can find a way, the signs are encouraging and I'm sure he is looking for a player or two to bring in in January. Dave Cotterill needs to find the end product to his undoubted skill & trickery and a large slice of my disappointment was at the 9 man defensive tactics employed by Hartlepool.

Archived