IGNORED

Best Team Seen At Ashton Gate

Guest paulton rovers red

Guest paulton rovers red

Mine would be Stockport County a few years ago when dave jones was there manager and got them promoted or wigan the year they finally got up, I'm fairly young so didnt see the 70's wondered what other people think.

West Ham a few years back when Clive Allen was up front for them were a bit special. I think it was 4-0 to them at halftime on a Tuesday night and the tannoy played 'Why?' by Annie Lennox.

The only plus points were the fact it poured down and we were in the East End while the Hammers fans were in the Open End, so they received a chorus of "You're getting wet, You're getting wet, We're not, We're not"

And towards the end there was an announcement that the last train to London would leave Temple Meads at 9.25pm. The time of that announcement was around 9.20pm. A small victory in the scheme of things though really.

Forest 1980 beat us 3-1 with the fastest breakaway football I have ever seen, they were at their most dangerous when we had a corner! :blink:

I was going to quote what I think was probably the same game - Birtles and Woodcock were up front for Forest if I remember correctly.

Also the Arsenal side with Brady and Stapleton around about the same time.

The best team I personally have seen at the gate were Southampton. Follows really, they are the only team I have seen at the gate who were in the premiership at the time. Although we nearly beat them!

Guest Tactical Genius

the liverpool side of the 77-80 era just shades the forest side in terms of flair. both were ruthlessly efficient and both were built upon solid defences (though neither were accused through the media of being the boring root of all evil). the liverpool side of 79 that conceeded just 16 goals in 42 league games was years ahead of its time, especially with dalglish playing in a withdrawn forwards role.

southglos, arsenal may have had brady, but other than him they were a very uninspiring side.

West Ham a few years back when Clive Allen was up front for them were a bit special. I think it was 4-0 to them at halftime on a Tuesday night and the tannoy played 'Why?' by Annie Lennox.

The only plus points were the fact it poured down and we were in the East End while the Hammers fans were in the Open End, so they received a chorus of "You're getting wet, You're getting wet, We're not, We're not"

And towards the end there was an announcement that the last train to London would leave Temple Meads at 9.25pm. The time of that announcement was around 9.20pm. A small victory in the scheme of things though really.

I remember that game and yes West Ham were truly awesome that night. The score was 5-1 in the end I'm pretty sure.

I remember Kevin Keen winning absolutely everything in midfield. City didnt even play particularly badly, the quality of opposition was just out of this world.

In recent years, Millwall have the been the best visiting team to Ashton Gate. So its a sign of how well we played that night, that we beat them.

I was going to quote what I think was probably the same game - Birtles and Woodcock were up front for Forest if I remember correctly.

Also the Arsenal side with Brady and Stapleton around about the same time.

I was at that Forest game as well. It was their first season in old old D1. So 77-78. They won the league but i thought we'd turn them over at the Gate. I didn't believe they were that good...but, my God. they were brilliant. Best performance I've seen down at AG. They got to 3-0 up and then stopped for last 20 mins. Seemed to have 3 players to pass to the whole time. Went on to win successive European Cups. A little earlier, in our promo season, or the season before, they beat us 2-0 at AG with Clough in charge and Robertson on the wing. They were superb that day as well. Signs of what was to come.

Archived