IGNORED

Paul Cheesley In Evil Post

Stoke_Gifford_Red

In tonights evil post Paul reckons we would need to spend a minium of £10 million just to stay in the 1st division, should we go up. He believes a striker, a central midfielder and a defender need to be brought in. I feel this figure is far too high, particularly when considering Murray only went for £500000 and £10 million would buy Scott Parker. I feel the current team should be able to stay in the 1st Division, and the reason I say this is look at the teams who went up last year. Also our squad is still very young and improving all the time.

What does everybody else think, is £10 million the correct ammount or do you think the figure needs to be a lot lower. Also what positions would you strengthen (if any).

Guest bcfccider

I raised my eyebrow at that figure. There is little point in falling into the trap of buying overrated players at bloated prices, as we did last time in Div 1. Instead of assets they become liabilities.

There are plenty of free transfers available, better to increase the wage structure to attract better players.

I would say £3 million max.

I happen to disagree and think we have a strong enough team as it is. Maybe a couple of additions but only about 500k.

-------------------Phillips---------------------

Carey-------Coles----------Hill----------Bell

Goodfellow--Doherty-----Wilshire----Tinnion

----------Peacock---------Miller--------------

Stowell---Fortune---Butler---Woodman---Jones---Brown,A---Burnell---Amankwah---

Roberts---Lita---Mathews---Brown,M

I think we need a new right midfielder so that goodfellow can move to the left and tinnion can be a spare. I think provided we dont get any serious injuries that this 11 will do well in the first division. a good winger is carlos Edwards of wrexham, he might be a good buy, for as little as 150k.

I have always maintained that £5m will see us through the first two seasons of Division one. £10m is to high but if he did mean over many years then I agree with him.

Lets be honest, we do need more quality in the squad if we do go up, regardless of what other teams have done this season after promotion.

I think a goalscorer for starters will be required. Lita is still learning but in my book, one for the future and Miller is not division one, but thats my opinion. We can't rely on Peacock in Division one.

Tins may not crack it in division one, unfortunately, therefore a decent replacement for him would be ideal, maybe Arron Brown but that remains to be seen and we certainly need cover at the back as Louis Carey, Matt Hill, Danny Coles and when fit Kev Amankwah could do the job, but I think Butler may struggle.

MM

I think the key is that Danny has bought very well this season and only brought in talented youngsters. It would of been easy for him to dig up a few 30+ old timers looking to ring up a bit of cash before they finish, but he has bought nearly all 21/22/23 year olds, something I'm very pleased with.

I think we have a strong enough squad to "manage" in the First Division. If we can s####e through a season or two with minimal expenditure I think we will then have a side highly capable of doing something, as the team will virtually all then be around the 25-27 mark and should be of very high quality (Wilkshire, Goodfellow, Miller etc), we would then also have a few quid to strengthen the squad as needs be.

Generally I'm happy with the squad we have, £10m seems an insane amount, I can't see us spending more than a £1m absolute max.

sorry I have to disagree with bcfccider about overrated and over priced players in our last Div 1 team?.

I watched City a lot during our one season in the First Division last time.

Ade Akinbiyi certainly wasn't overpriced - wasn't he the Division's top scorer in a side that got relegated. He led the line brilliantly. Sorensen was an exceptional winger on one wing so we kept playing him on the other. Tony Thorpe is not everyone's favourite but he did not ask to have the club pay a million pounds for him. He scored 50 goals for us and few players have done that. City might have stayed up if he had played more and Steve Torpey less. Sebok - well, I remember Pulis saying Sebok simply wasn't interested in playing for us, but he wasn't overrated - he played in the Hungarian national team DURING the time he played for us and we got him for a good price. So who else - Sean Dyche ? - he was a good player who tried to play through injury and it back fired on him.

Overall we had very able players and they should have been able to keep us up. If they had we'd still be there now. They never made it together as a team but we were relegated as much because of what went on off the pitch as much as what went on on it - that's my view.

Certainly good enough to stay up.. no worries about that as the team are young and are gelling as a unit with what seems a good attitude. Would like to see a proven and consistantly scoring frontman though. But £10million right now you could buy the whole of the leeds side or looking at the latest headlines maybe i am saying taht one week too early....I have literally soiled my pants due to your unrivalled wittiness.. Now there is a question can Leeds survive in Div 1 next year or can Leeds survive at all..£104m in debt looking dubious :rolleyes:

Looking forward to playing them at the gate next year but will we recognice any of the names probably not except for Batty!!!!

I happen to disagree and think we have a strong enough team as it is. Maybe a couple of additions but only about 500k.

-------------------Phillips---------------------

Carey-------Coles----------Hill----------Bell

Goodfellow--Doherty-----Wilshire----Tinnion

----------Peacock---------Miller--------------

Stowell---Fortune---Butler---Woodman---Jones---Brown,A---Burnell---Amankwah---

Roberts---Lita---Mathews---Brown,M

I think we need a new right midfielder so that goodfellow can move to the left and tinnion can be a spare. I think provided we dont get any serious injuries that this 11 will do well in the first division. a good winger is carlos Edwards of wrexham, he might be a good buy, for as little as 150k.

Carey- Struggled last time round.

Bell- No way, totally lost it, off the pace.

Tinnion- Max 30 games.

Miller- Needs to prove he can score goals regularly.

We would need four players in the key spine positions. Keeper (as competition to Phillips, who I rate, not necessarily a replacement) Central Defender, Central midfielder and striker. They would mainly need to be players with experience of playing at least at Div 1 level, preferably in their mid 20's or a bit older.

With those additions, I think we could survive in Division One. Without them, I think we would struggle.

We would need four players in the key spine positions. Keeper (as competition to Phillips, who I rate, not necessarily a replacement) Central Defender, Central midfielder and striker. They would mainly need to be players with experience of playing at least at Div 1 level, preferably in their mid 20's or a bit older.

With those additions, I think we could survive in Division One. Without them, I think we would struggle.

I would agree with that 100%

We also need to sort out the right hand side

I would agree with that 100%

We also need to sort out the right hand side

Thats a definite, the right hand side, and a DECENT striker, and the second keeper for competition.Everywhere else provided we have experienced replacements we are capable of survival, without spending a fortune, in the initial stage

The 10m quote is academic ,the added dimension of financially challenged clubs,frees,comparitive overseas values,& of course agents fees,signing on fees and the likes means that the "fund" is never quite the true article.

Our last foray into the 1st promised much but was a salutory experience, the greatest example of unfulfillment being that of Thorpe with neither management or player himself capitalising on a prodigious talent when it was most needed.

The step-up is significant,to avoid an immeadiate relegation threat a minimum of 3 first-team additions would seem necessary.A budget of 3m would seem tops,and probably 75% of managers in the 1st would be happy with that.

Certainly won't be short of options many with links to Bristol:Akinbiyi,Stewart,Hayles,Zamora,Murray.Still wish we could have brought in:Bullard,McKenzie,&Eddie Lewis over the last 2 years........

Guest Lockerman

It's very nice to hear that Paul Cheesley is going to join the board and donate the £10million pounds needed to survive in division one, it is nice to see that there are some true city fns about prepared to put their money where their mouth is.

Good on you Paul :Costumed34: :Laugh4: :wub:

Paul Cheesely was a great striker for us but as a BCFC pundit he's made a pretty poor comment. BCFC made the mistake of buying too many expensive players last time we got promotion to Div 1 and we crashed straight back to Div 2.

If this BCFC squad gets us up - stick with them in Div 1 as they're young and will only get better. We only need to replace the ageing Tony Butler and Tinman in my opinion.

Archived