IGNORED

Help Needed For Web Site Design

Milo

As the Supporters Trust gears up for the launch on 28th November we're going to need to make greater use of the website. The one we have at the moment was designed by yours truly and any visitors to http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/ will detect the work of an amateur.

Nibor came up with an excellent set of suggestions on this thread here and having spent a bit of time trying to put his ideas into practice I have to admit that, frankly, when it comes to website layouts I don't know what I'm doing. Basically I've only designed one previous website which was 2 summers ago and it was based entirely on the Macromedia Studio MX tutorial. All I've done is used the layout I used back then and I can't, for example, work out how to put a menu on the left without dusting off the tutorial and dedicating a weekend to working it out. Even then, it'll still look like an amateur designed it!

I'm pretty sure that all I need is someone to sort out the layout in a modern style that fits with most browsers. Some non-flash button designs or menus would also be helpful. Once that layout is in place, I can quite merrily add content and take responsibility for uploading files to the server etc. In other words, I'm not looking for anyone to commit time as a website editor (although any volunteers would be very warmly welcomed!).

Can anyone help please?

:city:

Worked as a web developer last year in my placement. I could chuck a hand in if you like. :)

Thanks karl, I certainly do like!

What's the best way of going about this? Should I email over the files or is it easier to start with a blank canvass? Presumably if other people were also able to help it could be worked on as a team or is it easier to work solo?

• SC&T Board Members

Hi Milo,

You might want to look at this: Article Manager from Interactive Tools.

I can highly recommend it. It will give you the full framework that you need for your website, leaving you just to add the content. You don't need to know any HTML, although a little helps ... it uses an editor just like the one this forum software uses.

The system would also let you allow other trusted writers to contribute content.

I've used it to put together my website on The World Cup in Germany, which I couldn't have done without it, as I had never touched HTML 12 months ago.

Hope that helps.

I will add my services to assist with the graphics side of the site - eg, buttons, header bar and any other things like that! :) I'm only just starting web programming myself and I think other people here would do a better job, but I'm sure I can contribute with graphics/color schemes etc.

I wouldn't say I pwn Web Design, but I have a little site here, if you're interested PM me for help or whatever. Graphics Design is more my thing, I think of Websites as a hobby.

Wow!

A big THANK YOU to everyone who has replied here. That's fantastic! I've sent an email to Mr Jacko for a bit of guidance and I'll be back in touch again shortly when he's given me his professional opinion on the best way forward.

Thanks again,

Miles

:city:

could you ask Tom/Adam for help?

Sadly I think my days of webdesign are becoming ones in the past. I simply don't have the time to even maintain the few sites I have.. If anyone wants to take over bcfcpics.co.uk for example then drop me a PM and I'll discuss it with you ;)

I don't think Adam can get involved either as he's exclusively tied to bcfc.co.uk :)

Plenty of youngsters out there though :whistle:

Archived