IGNORED

Paul Who?

glastonred

Considering there are currently a few ex-players being bandied about on this forum, one player that I've been wondering about recently, who I thought was a decent player, even though I think he was a Pulis purchase, is Paul Mortimer. Somehow he just seemed to vanish into thin air - I can't remember him being sold, or loaned out, or retiring injured. So what happened to him? Nobody ever mentions him, and it's almost like he never existed. Am I dreaming all this?

Considering there are currently a few ex-players being bandied about on this forum, one player that I've been wondering about recently, who I thought was a decent player, even though I think he was a Pulis purchase, is Paul Mortimer. Somehow he just seemed to vanish into thin air - I can't remember him being sold, or loaned out, or retiring injured. So what happened to him? Nobody ever mentions him, and it's almost like he never existed. Am I dreaming all this?

Ah yes Mortimer! Now a window cleaner I hear!

He was a great passer - probably the only guy at the club in recent years who I can remember as capable of pinging a long-distance pass like Tinman. Immensely talented but struck down by injury like so many signings around that time, and ended up playing very few games for us. But when he was fit and playing he was just the playmaker we needed. Always found himself time on the ball, a great eye for a pass and a gifted foot capable of making it. Actually an extremely nice guy and totally obsessed with football. He lived near me in south London, so after some of the away games he'd cadge a lift home with me rather than get on the team coach back to Bristol!

I remember him being distraught after one game because he said his legs suddenly started feeling like he was playing with concrete breeze blocks on his feet instead of boots. He couldn't play properly and he was taken off. He couldn't work out what was wrong, but it was clearly something pretty bad. The injury plagued him from then on and he was never the same again. Very sad because if he'd been fit he'd have been a great player for us.

I also remember coming home with him on a train after a game at S****horpe. When the food trolley came past, he picked up a packet of Jaffa Cakes, some crisps and a bottle of Ribena or something. I objected and told him: "hey, you can't eat that. I pay my money to watch finely-honed athletes, not guys who stuff rubbish like that into their bellies." He countered by arguing that he needed the chocolate to replace lost energy quickly after the match.

I pointed out the need to replenish drained energy might be more convincing if he'd not been sent off before half time.

I think I won that argument....

He was a great passer - probably the only guy at the club in recent years who I can remember as capable of pinging a long-distance pass like Tinman. Immensely talented but struck down by injury like so many signings around that time, and ended up playing very few games for us. But when he was fit and playing he was just the playmaker we needed. Always found himself time on the ball, a great eye for a pass and a gifted foot capable of making it. Actually an extremely nice guy and totally obsessed with football. He lived near me in south London, so after some of the away games he'd cadge a lift home with me rather than get on the team coach back to Bristol!

I remember him being distraught after one game because he said his legs suddenly started feeling like he was playing with concrete breeze blocks on his feet instead of boots. He couldn't play properly and he was taken off. He couldn't work out what was wrong, but it was clearly something pretty bad. The injury plagued him from then on and he was never the same again. Very sad because if he'd been fit he'd have been a great player for us.

I also remember coming home with him on a train after a game at S****horpe. When the food trolley came past, he picked up a packet of Jaffa Cakes, some crisps and a bottle of Ribena or something. I objected and told him: "hey, you can't eat that. I pay my money to watch finely-honed athletes, not guys who stuff rubbish like that into their bellies." He countered by arguing that he needed the chocolate to replace lost energy quickly after the match.

I pointed out the need to replenish drained energy might be more convincing if he'd not been sent off before half time.

That has to be the best "Who is your favourite City player you have given a lift to after a game" post I have seen on here.

Please please please start a new thread on that basis because all those "What's your favourite player/ground" threads are starting to annoy me. ;)

It isn't even half term.

That's what I remember about him; his passing ability, especially long range, as good as Tinnion's. He also seemed to control the midfield well. I think it was a great shame that it didn't work out for him, he could have become a memorable player for us, instead of being someone who most people seem to have forgotten.

I remember him well in his Charlton days under the guidance of Lennie Lawrence,the Charlton team were pretty remarkable, constantly over-achieving while having no real home and having to perform at their pretentious neighbours Crystal Palace,

Mortimore was a prodigous talent,although somewhat raw he could exert real influence on the game and it was no real surprise when a big money move took him away.

When Pulis signed him I was pleased but realised Pulis's words were prophetic,

"If we can keep him fit he'll be a great signing for us"......as we all know for once Pulis was spot-on.a fit Mortimore could have been a catalyst to better times for both our team and even Pulis himself.

Guest 16Keane

Mortimer's left foot was like a wand, I don't think his actual through balls were as good as Tinman's but his left foot was like a wand in the sense that he had much better close control than Tinnion. Mortimer was also a good crosser of the ball when overlapping down the left flank, and a very good first-touch passer from the centre with his left foot (I mean reverse balls and first-time passes, better than Tinman at that). He was probably a better passer along the ground than Tinman too. But no way was he as good as Tinman at pinging balls about after taking a touch or two, Tinman's long-distance passing to wide runners was insanely good.

Archived