IGNORED

Ricky Chanlder

Guest harveythompson

Guest harveythompson

Does anyone remember him. He used to play for the team i play for and he was voted Bristol City's worst ever player in four-four-two a couple of years back.

Does anyone remember him. He used to play for the team i play for and he was voted Bristol City's worst ever player in four-four-two a couple of years back.

worst player has to be Kieth Millen or Ralph Milne. never heard of that bloke

Guest harveythompson

worst player has to be Kieth Millen or Ralph Milne. never heard of that bloke

:rofl2br: RALF MILNE! he is my mates dad, Alex Ferguson said and i quote " ralph milne nearlly ruined my managerial career" no wonder my mates changed his second name, swear on my life

I remember a Ricky Chandler,lent Mick Jagger his number 9 shirt for the Ashton Gate concert,lovely missus too.

Who's Kieth Millen.

Or am I being pikcy.

Ricky wasn't the best striker we've ever had but wasn't the worst either. He played for us in an era (early 80s) when the club was broke and a lot of youngsters were given their chance.

He had a big barrel chest I seem to remember and scored in the FA Cup for us away at Peterborough on a night game (think we played Villa in the next round?) which was a rare moment of happiness in a pretty bleak era!

Well_Red

Ricky wasn't the best striker we've ever had but wasn't the worst either. He played for us in an era (early 80s) when the club was broke and a lot of youngsters were given their chance.

He had a big barrel chest I seem to remember and scored in the FA Cup for us away at Peterborough on a night game (think we played Villa in the next round?) which was a rare moment of happiness in a pretty bleak era!

Well_Red

Ricky Chandler was ok, around at the same time as Jon Econonumu ( sp) Rob Newman etc, all of whom gave there all to OUR club when we were really in dire trouble.

You wont find many fans who were about in those dark days (82 ish) slagging of the players from then. There were about 4.500 of us who were LOYAL to the core, hard days but great in there own way.

i wouldn't say he was the worst ever player to play for city,

he did ok considering being put in the first team as a kid

around the time of 1982 .

IPB Image

Agree with that, he wasn't really up to it but he wasn't the worst. One thing that you have to remember is that he was in the team as he was the best option that was available at that time - and they were desperate times. Terry Cooper destroyed his confidence by continually substituting him - I think he might hold some sort of a record in that respect.

Ricky Chandler was ok, around at the same time as Jon Econonumu ( sp) Rob Newman etc, all of whom gave there all to OUR club when we were really in dire trouble.

You wont find many fans who were about in those dark days (82 ish) slagging of the players from then. There were about 4.500 of us who were LOYAL to the core, hard days but great in there own way.

:chant6ez: we got behind the team as one (no season ticket holders) then off to promotion from old 4th div with a day at chester,home game!! even the cigs smelt nice? yeah players gave there all

:rofl2br: RALF MILNE! he is my mates dad, Alex Ferguson said and i quote " ralph milne nearlly ruined my managerial career" no wonder my mates changed his second name, swear on my life

I couldn't belive how bad a player he was. Then Fergie came and bought him, what scouts was he using? :rofl2br:

Thats the equivalent of Arsene Wenger today buying Craig Woodman to replace Ashley Cole at left back!!!!

:chant6ez: we got behind the team as one (no season ticket holders) then off to promotion from old 4th div with a day at chester,home game!! even the cigs smelt nice? yeah players gave there all

Yeah Great night at Chester.....................and good times following City in the old Fourth Division.

Sometimes after an an away game you would see the team coach parked up outside a chip shop as Terry Cooper got the fish suppers in! as it was all the club could afford.

Well_Red

Yeh, I was there ,freezing cold night won 1-0,me & my mate were in the old uncovered side and we ran on the pitch at the end! be arrested now!

I last saw Ricky several years ago flogging nappies to Asda!

Ricky Chandler was most definitely not the worst City player ever. He wasn't even the worst City player playing for the team at the time.

As said above, you didn't find many people slagging off players in those dark days. We understood that the players wearing City shirts weren't the best in the world and couldn't be expected to pull off tricks like Premiership stars. All we asked was that they were honest and gave it 100 per cent, and usually they did not disappoint in that regard, and we could go home knowing they'd done their best.

As I mentioned not long ago, I once saw Ricky Chandler walking along a street in Bedminster at the time he played for us. He was wearing jeans and coming out of a shop. I admit it's not a very interesting anecdote, and that I did mention it on the forum a couple of weeks ago, but as I get few opportunities to recant the tale I thought it'd be a pity to let one pass by. I may never get another opportunity.

Hereford,away game,80's.

City won 3-0,or 3-1. Mr Ricky Chandler scored 2. Hundreds of City fans in fancy dress invaded the pitch at full time,myself included ,and Ricky was weeing himself with our antics and his delight.

Yep,maybe not the best ever City player,no way the worst,but well happy at wearing the shirt.

And yes, he did have tidy knees.

As I mentioned not long ago, I once saw Ricky Chandler walking along a street in Bedminster at the time he played for us. He was wearing jeans and coming out of a shop. I admit it's not a very interesting anecdote,

You're right Red Top, on face value that is possibly the least interesting 'anecdote' i have ever heard from anyone, anywhere, ever, on any subject.

Surely something must actually happened for you to mention it. :dunno:

Saw Chandler? Wearing jeans? Shop? There must be more to it.

Come on, we're all on tenterhooks.

:w00t:

You're right Red Top, on face value that is possibly the least interesting 'anecdote' i have ever heard from anyone, anywhere, ever, on any subject.

Surely something must actually happened for you to mention it. :dunno:

Saw Chandler? Wearing jeans? Shop? There must be more to it.

Come on, we're all on tenterhooks.

:w00t:

No, that really is the long and short of it, Nogbad. I saw Ricky Chandler coming out of a shop in Bedminster. He was wearing jeans. There is the possibility that it might have been a hardware shop, but it was many years ago and I wouldn't like to swear on it.

I mention it merely because I think history demands that the incident be recorded. I make no pretentions as to the importance of the incident, but request merely that it is noted in the footnotes of the club's history.

Call me old but I rather like these nostalgic threads. I saw Gerry Sharpe at the Zoo once and Tom Ritchie with some friends on the next table in a pub on the main Wells road in Whitchurch. Both incidents seemed significant to me at the time.

How many people on here remember the Dark Ages - 1981-83? Ricky Chandler made his debut alongside the likes of Terry Boyle, Jan Moller, Jimmy Mann, David Rodgers and Mick Harford in 1981-82. In terms of shirt numbers he actually replaced Clive Whitehead initially. At the end of January 1982 we played the famous match against Newport County where we wondered if we would have a Bristol City the following week. Well, we did - thanks to the sacrifice of several players - an almost completely different 11 played for us in the next match home to Fulham. Fulham were top and we did very well to draw 0-0. Over 9,000 watched that match, our biggest crowd of the season by far, quite a sobering point when we complain about crowds of 10,000 nowadays. Chandler played in the Newport and Fulham games. Our youngsters couldn't keep up their heroic efforts though. There were few wins from then till the end of the season and a dismal run of just two draws and 10 defeats in 12 matches. We recorded our lowest ever attendance (I believe) in the last but one home match v Millwall. 2,696. They must be our true hard core. Chandler, incredibly, scored two in a 4-1 win for City. In fact Chandler scored in all of City's final 3 matches before they entered the basement Division 4.

In 1982-83 we started badly. We lost away to Crewe 4-1 and away to Northampton 7-1. We were bottom of the whole league after 6 matches. By Christmas we had won just twice but then we won 3-1 away at Hereford (the match referred to higher up in the thread). Chandler again scored twice. He didn't play for us much longer after that. City's form in the second half of that season improved incredibly. In fact the Hereford win kick started the season in the sense that the cliche is often meant because we only lost 6 matches in the second half of the season. The next year City were straight out of the blocks and were in the top 6 all season. We never could quite catch York though we did beat them 1-0 at home to go top just for bit with players like Shaw, Riley, Pritchard and Crawford. Our tussle was mainly with Aldershot but when we beat Swindon in the final home game I was sure we would get the 4th place needed for promotion. We only had to win at the bottom club. Chester away was our final match. We led 1-0 from about the 30th minute then Chester spolit the party by equalising the finla minute. Incredibly we scored straight from the kick off (Trevor Morgan again) and won 2-1. Promoted and at last going in the right direction. If the celebrations seemed massive it was becuase City supporters had absolutely nothing to celebrate for years. The Dark Ages were over.

Call me old but I rather like these nostalgic threads. I saw Gerry Sharpe at the Zoo once and Tom Ritchie with some friends on the next table in a pub on the main Wells road in Whitchurch. Both incidents seemed significant to me at the time.

How many people on here remember the Dark Ages - 1981-83? Ricky Chandler made his debut alongside the likes of Terry Boyle, Jan Moller, Jimmy Mann, David Rodgers and Mick Harford in 1981-82. In terms of shirt numbers he actually replaced Clive Whitehead initially. At the end of January 1982 we played the famous match against Newport County where we wondered if we would have a Bristol City the following week. Well, we did - thanks to the sacrifice of several players - an almost completely different 11 played for us in the next match home to Fulham. Fulham were top and we did very well to draw 0-0. Over 9,000 watched that match, our biggest crowd of the season by far, quite a sobering point when we complain about crowds of 10,000 nowadays. Chandler played in the Newport and Fulham games. Our youngsters couldn't keep up their heroic efforts though. There were few wins from then till the end of the season and a dismal run of just two draws and 10 defeats in 12 matches. We recorded our lowest ever attendance (I believe) in the last but one home match v Millwall. 2,696. They must be our true hard core. Chandler, incredibly, scored two in a 4-1 win for City. In fact Chandler scored in all of City's final 3 matches before they entered the basement Division 4.

In 1982-83 we started badly. We lost away to Crewe 4-1 and away to Northampton 7-1. We were bottom of the whole league after 6 matches. By Christmas we had won just twice but then we won 3-1 away at Hereford (the match referred to higher up in the thread). Chandler again scored twice. He didn't play for us much longer after that. City's form in the second half of that season improved incredibly. In fact the Hereford win kick started the season in the sense that the cliche is often meant because we only lost 6 matches in the second half of the season. The next year City were straight out of the blocks and were in the top 6 all season. We never could quite catch York though we did beat them 1-0 at home to go top just for bit with players like Shaw, Riley, Pritchard and Crawford. Our tussle was mainly with Aldershot but when we beat Swindon in the final home game I was sure we would get the 4th place needed for promotion. We only had to win at the bottom club. Chester away was our final match. We led 1-0 from about the 30th minute then Chester spolit the party by equalising the finla minute. Incredibly we scored straight from the kick off (Trevor Morgan again) and won 2-1. Promoted and at last going in the right direction. If the celebrations seemed massive it was becuase City supporters had absolutely nothing to celebrate for years. The Dark Ages were over.

Surely City's worst ever player appeared in the 82/3 season. John Palmer.

I believe he played a few games as a no. 9, similar to Mick Harford but with 1/100 of the ability, possibly more suited to rugby. Signed from the Western League,as were a few players from that era. Had incredibly large feet.

I think Ricky Chandler went to Hengrove school, my work colleague went out with him for a while. He scored a cracker against York when they travelled down by train.

Archived