IGNORED

City Bribe Claim

cheshire_red

Interesting, however I'm sure that if the FA do take any action, it will most likely be against individuals involved, as there's no mention of club officials being involved, just a player.

Most likely though, as it's this far down the line, that the whole incident will be, for want of a more appropriate word, ignored.

I DO remember that game. It came off the back of a surprise(!) 2-1 win at Charlton to which virtualy ensured our survival anyhoo.

Preston were crap, but as to bribes, who knows?

Although memory plays tricks ( I was only 6!) I seem to remember Chris Crowe running riot in this game, I think he even inadvertently broke someones leg! A guy tried to slide tackle him and missed, he continued off the pitch and into the wooden benches by the dugout and was carried off on a stretcher.

A guy tried to slide tackle him and missed, he continued off the pitch and into the wooden benches by the dugout and was carried off on a stretcher.

I was at the Preston game but if my memory serves me correctly the guy who bust his leg in that manner was a left back for the Gas [must have been a GFA Final as they were in D3] named ALEC Munro. He was bald and looked a bit like our ex. Ivan Testimatanu.

That Preston game was either followed or preceded by a 4-2 away win at Villa Park when I think Geoff Merrick made his debut.

I was at the Preston game but if my memory serves me correctly the guy who bust his leg in that manner was a left back for the Gas [must have been a GFA Final as they were in D3] named ALEC Munro. He was bald and looked a bit like our ex. Ivan Testimatanu.

That Preston game was either followed or preceded by a 4-2 away win at Villa Park when I think Geoff Merrick made his debut.

Thanks HH, Like I said memory plays tricks, most of my memories from that time tend to compress into one 90 minute game.............I do remember Chris Crowe well though, he was my earliest hero.

The main players who were involved played for Sheffield Wedneday, two of whom were english internationals.

http://www.bristolrovers.premiumtv.co.uk/p...~722523,00.html

Thanks for the info - I didn't know anything about Rovers players being banned. I remember my dad telling me about Peter Swan, who was one of the England internationals that were banned for taking bribes. I believe they were banned for 10 years and it was a huge scandal in its day. Sheff Wednesday retained the registration of Peter Swan and put him straight back in the first team when his ban ended. I think I am right in saying that the game I saw (City v Sheff Wed at Ashton Gate) was his first game back after completing the ban. Quite amazing to think that someone could walk back into the first team after being out for 10 years!

To be honest hardly anything gets put on this forum which is of much quality but that was a very interesting article sarasin. It just shows how someone can be heavily punished for nothing more than really poor judgement. Betting on your own team to lose does seem like the height of stupidity but we've heard tales of such things many times since and I don't recall anyone else ever going to prison for it. It would be nice to think that no-one from our club has ever got involved, notwithstanding the allegations about the 1968 match against Preston

Guest ashtonyate

To be honest hardly anything gets put on this forum which is of much quality but that was a very interesting article sarasin. It just shows how someone can be heavily punished for nothing more than really poor judgement. Betting on your own team to lose does seem like the height of stupidity but we've heard tales of such things many times since and I don't recall anyone else ever going to prison for it. It would be nice to think that no-one from our club has ever got involved, notwithstanding the allegations about the 1968 match against Preston

Before Johnson took over they would lose for free, after the Cardiff play offs it makes you wonder.

Archived