IGNORED

Football Team In Gambia

HanhamRed

I wonder if anyone can help....

Every year our company visit the Gambia in West Africa. We usually provide some sort of charitable contribution to the local community, eg last year we raised some money to build a new toliet block at the local primary school, and we usually get together stationary and things that we take for granted to give to the kids.

Last year I had the opportunity to visit, and whilst in the hotel one day we were approached by a local guy who worked there to see if we would like a game of football against the local league team.

As you can see from the photos, everything that they have there is very basic - their kit was a mish-mash of whatever they had, and the changing rooms were built from reeds.

Earlier this year, my Sunday football team were bought a new kit by our sponsors, so I sent the old shirts to the guy at the hotel for his football team - I thought nothing of it, but some of the letters I have received back show how much this small gesture means to them.

The only problem was the cost of sending the kit - approx £75.00. I will be visiting again this December, and I am trying to get some stuff together for them, so I can pay for an extra bag on the plane, which will be a lot cheaper.

Therefore, if anybody has any old boots, shinpads, shorts or socks (preferably an old team kit so they're all the same) that they could donate, please PM me, and I will ensure that it reaches them.

Also, I have been trying to think how I could get this message across to a wider audience - any ideas?

Thanks, Andy.

PS When the guy from the hotel arrived at the ground for the game, he was wearing an old City training shirt, circa 1995!!

:city:Gambia Football Match Photos

Archived