IGNORED

England

Brianred

I have to disagree nibor..robinson is a top quality international keeper.certainly not mediocre

He's got talent but would you put him in the same league as Cech, Buffon or Casillas are now? Or Shilton, Seaman, Schmeichel, Kahn, Chilavert, Tafferel or Pagliuca have been in previous competitions?

By league standards he's excellent, internationally when people say we have the best team they have to realise that means each player is in the top few in their position in the entire world. I don't think Robinson is yet, perhaps in a few years though. Mediocre was harsh but that was partly because of the possibility that we'd have David James there if anything happens to Robinson - strength in depth? I think not.

Nibor

He's got talent but would you put him in the same league as Cech, Buffon or Casillas are now? Or Shilton, Seaman, Schmeichel, Kahn, Chilavert, Tafferel or Pagliuca have been in previous competitions?

By league standards he's excellent, internationally when people say we have the best team they have to realise that means each player is in the top few in their position in the entire world. I don't think Robinson is yet, perhaps in a few years though. Mediocre was harsh but that was partly because of the possibility that we'd have David James there if anything happens to Robinson - strength in depth? I think not.

Nibor

So why call him mediocre?! You just said he is decent! Perhaps not world class yet but give him time. James is not even part of the squad is he? We lack a decent 2nd keeper but Robinson hasn't been injured much? Touch wood.

Think it will be a lot better tonight, think it has to be! I wish the media would stop being so negative though! No matter what happens or what they say the manager will not change till after the WC!! So lets get behind the boys and cheer them on to glory!! :englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

But that's why they build our players up as being better than they are. So that if/when they fall short of the expectations created by the media, they have further to fall and it makes a bigger and better story, and sells more papers.

Think it will be a lot better tonight, think it has to be! I wish the media would stop being so negative though! No matter what happens or what they say the manager will not change till after the WC!! So lets get behind the boys and cheer them on to glory!! :englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

I don't think it'll be be better unless Rooney does something special as we seem to say this every game but your right about the manager.

But that's why they build our players up as being better than they are. So that if/when they fall short of the expectations created by the media, they have further to fall and it makes a bigger and better story, and sells more papers.

Your right but surely it shouldnt work like that!! most press people are english! surely they hurt when we lose! :englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

Your right but surely it shouldnt work like that!! most press people are english! surely they hurt when we lose! :englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

You're right, they shouldn't. But their job is to sell papers, so they elevate our players to a vastly over exaggerated status so that they make big news and help their circulation figures.

They build people up to watch them fall. They always have and always will.

The tabloids tried to hound out Bobby Robson and will do the same to Sven.

Of course, The Sun does its bit in major tournaments by dressing people in World War One army helmets when we play the Germans and running headlines like "Achtung Fritz", which is extremely helpful. But that's probably another thread.

There's no way Robinson is a mediocre keeper but a decent one. James, yes. Sadly we miss Gary Neville a right back, but when you have 3 quality defenders it's ok to have the 4th as good rather than world class. We have always had a problem on the left. Upfront Rooney and Owen are pretty good. Even Owen managed a decent goal record at Real Madrid when given the chance. We miss a decent left winger and another good centre forward but if we have no injuries then we should be getting to top 4 maybe toop 2. With Sven we won't do it. You only have to look at the way the players play for their clubs and when they play for England to see something m,ajor is going on. That something is Sven, and perhaps that they play as individuals and not a team.

Owen and Rooney are pretty good but they don't make a good pair and they're pretty much all we have. Both are susceptible to injury and Rooney will like as not get two bookings. Look at what other nations have to choose from.

Robinson is decent but we have nothing behind him.

No left winger. No decent right back (even including Neville IMO). No cover for Ashley Cole. No cover for SWP on the right wing. Strong central unit in defence and midfield yes - but little elsewhere.

Look at Brazil's squad and explain how we're even close. I'd say Spain too but they're typically massive underachievers. Argentina? France if they sort their act out and qualify? Our quality is only comparable if all of our players remain fit and unsuspended, and we know they won't. Even if they do there are at least 3 first XIs I'd say are better than ours on paper and in the knockout stages of a tournament games can turn on the smallest piece of luck. So why are expectations so high? Because of press hype, end of story.

Our squad is good and with alot of luck we could make the semis - from there anything can happen. But it's not as good as people seem to think and it's certainly not good enough to be saying we SHOULD be top 4.

Nibor

So why call him mediocre?! You just said he is decent! Perhaps not world class yet but give him time. James is not even part of the squad is he? We lack a decent 2nd keeper but Robinson hasn't been injured much? Touch wood.

The mediocre comment was harsh I admit but partly based on the fact that there's James behind him. World cups are about alot more than the first XI.

Robinson still isn't in the top 4 keepers world wide is he?

Nibor

The tabloids tried to hound out Bobby Robson and will do the same to Sven.

Sven would have done it himself if the FA hadn't been so stupid handing his that great big contract.

Denmark 4-0 England

Wales 0-1 England

N.I. 1-0 England

England 1-0 Austria

I'd like to think that these games were just either friendlies or qualifiers that we 'did what we had to' but when they guy has had 3 years in charge and changes his formation, then the results are nowhere near good enough. Even before these games we were poor.

Aint really bothered whether we win 3-0 or lose 3-0; :o if I had a free ticket I`d sell it :o besides the players and manager who else would benifit even if we win the world cup :dunno:

England Squad Tonight (Confirmed)

Robinson, Young, Terry, Ferdinand, Carragher, Wright-Phillips, Lampard, King, Cole, Owen, Rooney.

Kind of underlines the fact we have little depth and don't have a squad of world beaters really.

Me! I'd bloody love it if we won the World Cup!

Don't they say national productivity increases by quite a large percentage when England win a game at a major tournament?

Oh. And me too!

Kind of underlines the fact we have little depth and don't have a squad of world beaters really.

I think you were very harsh on the side we had out tonight. Putting King in the middle was spot on and something we have missed. SWP was decent out on the wing and no one really put a foot wrong. Much improved- I still don't think Eriksson is going to do anything for us next summer as he will go back to playing Lampard and Gerard together, but tonight showed we do have strength (not on the left wing though), and we are capable of winning the World Cup. The spine of the team is World Class and we have decent players aound them, especially when everyone is fit- just what you need. Just a shame we have Sven.

FIFA rankings are based on results rather than feelings, I can see how that would be an issue for some.

As for beating most of the teams we're expected to beat, when people expect to p*** all over every team except possibly Brazil and Germany as a worryingly large number of people actually do then yes, we will only ever beat most of the teams we're expected to beat.

Sven's results HAVE been good enough, we've qualified for EVERY tournament and been unlucky not to get further in them. If you judge a manager on how agitated he looks in the dugout then good luck to you.

We will be out in the first round if we put a manager with ZERO experience of football outside of England in charge. Interesting thing about internationals - every game is against an opposition that isn't English. Putting someone in charge who hasn't got a clue about anything south of the white cliffs of Dover will guarantee that we waste even the vastly overhyped talent we have.

If Sven is still in charge we will not go out in the first round and have every chance of winning. Why on earth would anyone think otherwise based on past experience? Because we played a couple of dodgy games recently? Hardly a big deal.

Sorry, you're arguing subjectively so we're not going to agree. For me his record and results speak for themselves. Have a look back and find an England manager with a better record.

Nibor

100% agree, Sven has done all thats been asked of him, in the last 16 years we have failed to make two major championships and were the hosts in another, svens record of 3 out of 3 is good enough for me, we lost to a flukey goal in unbelivable heat in japan which would have suited the brazillians and had a perfectly good goal disallowed in euro 2004 and lost on pens - His record is good enough for me.

By the way have to disagree about paul robinson - we have only conceded 5 goals in ten games, i think we will be hard to beat - NI was a blip and i don't count frendlys as they are unimportant. we have played badly against wales and austria and have still won - the sign of a good team I'm lead to belive!!

I think you were very harsh on the side we had out tonight. Putting King in the middle was spot on and something we have missed. SWP was decent out on the wing and no one really put a foot wrong. Much improved- I still don't think Eriksson is going to do anything for us next summer as he will go back to playing Lampard and Gerard together, but tonight showed we do have strength (not on the left wing though), and we are capable of winning the World Cup. The spine of the team is World Class and we have decent players aound them, especially when everyone is fit- just what you need. Just a shame we have Sven.

Deary me. Really not worth persisting with this is it.

:Sleep12: - didn't you slag off the team tonight for not being very good?

No, I said it showed we have little depth and don't have a squad of world beaters. Unless you think a bench of Jenas, Crouch and Alan Smith shows that we do of course. I also wouldn't want to go into a major tournament with Young and Carragher as our fullbacks.

How you've concluded from tonight that we are capable of winning the World Cup and that it's a shame we have Sven as manager is beyond me.

We qualified (again) for a major tournament, gaining more points than any other team with 6 teams in their group and put in a decent performance now that the pressure is off to go with the decent results we've got all through qualifying, bar one blip.

I've said most of this before, but your desire to see Sven sacked so that someone else can let this squad of world beaters off the leash to demolish all in its path seems to be blinding you from that fact.

No, I said it showed we have little depth and don't have a squad of world beaters. Unless you think a bench of Jenas, Crouch and Alan Smith shows that we do of course. I also wouldn't want to go into a major tournament with Young and Carragher as our fullbacks.

How you've concluded from tonight that we are capable of winning the World Cup and that it's a shame we have Sven as manager is beyond me.

We qualified (again) for a major tournament, gaining more points than any other team with 6 teams in their group and put in a decent performance now that the pressure is off to go with the decent results we've got all through qualifying, bar one blip.

I've said most of this before, but your desire to see Sven sacked so that someone else can let this squad of world beaters off the leash to demolish all in its path seems to be blinding you from that fact.

Of course we are capable of winning it. We have at least 5 world class players in the spine of our team and good players around them. Little depth? King came in and did a brilliant job for Gerard. Young did well but was caught for the goal. The whole left side has always been a problem, and we miss Wayne Bridge as backup. With everyone back we would have the squad. The problem is negative Sven in the big games.

Archived