IGNORED

Thats Enough For Me

Guest dogwood

Guest dogwood

well thats enough for me. after months/years of rumours about bristol city players out on the town regularly ,getting well oiled , yes i know their human , but they are being paid good money to be athletes , alcohol and fitness do NOT go together , and after the abysmal football of the last 12 months, i don,t see why i need to carry on paying money into the club to subsidise these overpaid drunken idiots. i have stopped my city 2000 payments today , and don,t intend spending almost £50 to watch a bunch of wasters, pretending to be interested in the game for 90 mins, then rush up town for a night out ,while city fan,s probably get downhearted over another draw or loss . I expect i shall come back , its hard to stay away , but city 2000 , payments have stopped for good, i,m not paying for future drinking sessions for future , player of the club, it seem,s the drinking culture is well ingrained . was,nt there an incident recently near telford with city players too , ? :grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

I have to say, fair enough, thats your decision.

BUT, I am of the opinion that there has always been a "drinking culture" at this club. I can name about 10-15 mates of mine who have been present over the years when players have been causing trouble, both past players and present.

To me, this is something that has been waiting to happen, and it does not surprise me at all, especially with the attitude that footballers have.

Whether this is specific to our club I don't know.

BUT, I am of the opinion that there has always been a "drinking culture" at this club. I can name about 10-15 mates of mine who have been present over the years when players have been causing trouble, both past players and present.

To me, this is something that has been waiting to happen, and it does not surprise me at all, especially with the attitude that footballers have.

not just ours. bellemy, bowyer, pennant, ferdinand,terry, its brittish culture.

i remember a documentry bout foregin players with alan hansen a year or two ago and he spoke to palo di canio, he said italians only drink wine with meals. zola said the same. its brittish culture it would be hard to seeit change.

Guest dogwood

yes i agree with you mate . but if there has always been a drinking culture at the club , thats not an excuse , it could be why we are 3rd from bottom of division one. i cant imagine successful clubs allow this. i know these guys are human and entitled to go out and enjoy themselves . BUT , i work in health and fitness. and alcohol takes, a toll on the body over three days after a drinking session, due to dehydration and tiredness etc etc . this is bound TO AFFECT PERFORMANCE , i just feel its gone on too long now , without being addressed . i prefer not to pay for their drinks, and spend my money on my family instead. the club to me now is a joke, our league position reflects this, these guys are SUPPOSED to be ATHLETES .

Guest dogwood

I agree with you completely.

I'm not trying to defend them by any stretch, just saying that the culture has been there for a while and what has happened does not surprise me at all.

no , i understand your point mate , and yes it sadly does,nt suprise me either :@ , i only hope gary johnson can sort em out , i like a pint myself, no doubts, but never get embroiled in fights/aggro . why do they have to do that , ? are they showing off or just mouthey ,? i also don,t drink before i train , as it affects training/excercise considerably , i think they are overpaid and CERTAINLY have overblown ego,s :rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br:

If you have supported City since 1970 you will have been fortunate enough to have seen the mid to late 70's team of Cashley, Sweeney, Drysdale, Merrick, Rodgers/Collier, Tainton, Gow, Mann, Whitehead, Ritchie/Fear/Cheesley.

Some of them boys liked a drink.

In fact I bet that team could not only out play but also out drink the current lot.

Players today are undoubtedly overpaid compared with their predecessors, but you cannot expect young lads to spend 10 or 15 years not going out, just because they are footballers. Because they are footballers, in the public eye, these things will happen from time to time.

Drinking and going out isn't the problem with this club.

The problem is poor players.

The reason we have poor players is because we are in Division 3.

The reason we are in Division 3 is due to years of ineptitude and poor management.

Deal with that, and you deal with the real problem of the perpetual under achievement that is Bristol City.

NickJ

PS - as for your decision to stop City 2000 payments, I have to say, I can see your logic. Players are overpaid, ultimately any reduction of income to the club will see a reduction to the player salaries and therefore as you say, their ability to squander relatively large amounts (for their age, compared with what they would earn elsewhere etc) while at the same time we have genuine supporters like ashtonyate on here recently pointing out he cannot afford to attend and support his club. PLAYERS TAKE NOTE

Guest dogwood

If you have supported City since 1970 you will have been fortunate enough to have seen the mid to late 70's team of Cashley, Sweeney, Drysdale, Merrick, Rodgers/Collier, Tainton, Gow, Mann, Whitehead, Ritchie/Fear/Cheesley.

Some of them boys liked a drink.

In fact I bet that team could not only out play but also out drink the current lot.

Players today are undoubtedly overpaid compared with their predecessors, but you cannot expect young lads to spend 10 or 15 years not going out, just because they are footballers. Because they are footballers, in the public eye, these things will happen from time to time.

Drinking and going out isn't the problem with this club.

The problem is poor players.

The reason we have poor players is because we are in Division 3.

The reason we are in Division 3 is due to years of ineptitude and poor management.

Deal with that, and you deal with the real problem of the perpetual under achievement that is Bristol City.

NickJ

PS - as for your decision to stop City 2000 payments, I have to say, I can see your logic. Players are overpaid, ultimately any reduction of income to the club will see a reduction to the player salaries and therefore as you say, their ability to squander relatively large amounts (for their age, compared with what they would earn elsewhere etc) while at the same time we have genuine supporters like ashtonyate on here recently pointing out he cannot afford to attend and support his club. PLAYERS TAKE NOTE

yes i was lucky to see the good days of the past , and enjoyed them immensely , and i agree with 99% of your reply/post . But , :-) , i understand youngsters want and need to go out and enjoy themselves, i have no problem with that , i love a drink BUt WHY do they so often get into trouble, ? is that excessive drinking, ? because as i said , THEY ARE being paid to be athletes, to entertain the paying public. and alcohol stays in the body for 3 days, at least and affects training , no doubt about that , and therefore affects fitness levels, on the day , gary himself has said they are not fit .so yes i agree , many reason,s affect why we are 3rd from bottom of div 1 , including poor players and management , but a drinking culture , certainly doesnt help , the football player of today has to be far fitter than in the seventies, they got away with it then , now its harder , and the results are showing it .

Guest dogwood

Can't say i blame you really, it would be easy to feel let down at this point.

I'm upset for the other players and staff who work bloody hard for the club who now have been tared with the same brush, i hope you don't stay away for long, we need all the support we get.

yes i agree mate, its a pity , but this has gone on too long now, i hope gary can sort it out but i,m WELL let down now too, i feel the players are just running amok , at the club, i probably will be back in a few weeks, but city 2000 payment are no more, thats my protest , and i have sent a letter to the club to explain why i,ve stopped payments, otherwise things just carry on in the same old way , sad , but fact .

As I've said on another thread, I don't think anyone has questioned the fitness of Orr and Brown before this happened - indeed they've usually been praised for their commitment and work rate.

Probably 3 of the fittest and most committed players we have,which is why its such a shame.I really hope its the last "incident" we hear about.GJ has acted well and not messed about.As well as these 3 have played recently,once they start playing again[if they get selected]then they owe everyone concerned big,big performances,week in week out.They have let us down big time,they have to now deliver big time.

Once they have helped to get us promotion,I might be persuaded to forgive them.

Guest dogwood

As I've said on another thread, I don't think anyone has questioned the fitness of Orr and Brown before this happened - indeed they've usually been praised for their commitment and work rate.

yes i agree , mate , 100 % . but there are levels, of fitness, fitness can always be improved, gary johnson has said the players can be fitter, we all want the club competing at the top of the table , not the bottom end, i honestly believe, heavy drinking, causes fitness defects, yet alone what the media coverage does, yet AGAIN , making the club a laughing stock , away fans are already , taking the (Am I naughty or what!), " the drunken city cider gliders " , came to my e: mail address this morning .

no , i understand your point mate , and yes it sadly does,nt suprise me either :@ , i only hope gary johnson can sort em out , i like a pint myself, no doubts, but never get embroiled in fights/aggro . why do they have to do that , ? are they showing off or just mouthey ,? i also don,t drink before i train , as it affects training/excercise considerably , i think they are overpaid and CERTAINLY have overblown ego,s :rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br:

Think it was in Ferguson's autobiography when he touches on the drinking culture that he identified on taking over at Manchester United, and he subsequently binned off the worst two culprits (Whiteside and McGrath) and, for want of a better word, rehabilitated Robson. Like him or not, you have to say that nipping this behaviour in the bud helped Ferguson turn around a massively underachieving club into what they became in the 90's onwards.

Obviously, massive gulf in quality of players between us and them, but removing something that is going to negatively affect fitness, discipline and, ultimately the ability to do the job (play well for City) can only help Johnson sort out our woes.

Guest MaloneFM

Can I just interrupt this hand wringing and cries 'oh somebody think of the children' to ask...does anybody know what really happened then?

Because no-one is saying.

Archived