IGNORED

Over Reaction

cidercity1987

I've never really contributed to the forum before, but I have to say there's been a major over-reaction to this weeks events by a lot of you. By going out for a drink the players have not betrayed you at all. Most young men/women drink so don't be so patronising to suggest they're not allowed to just because they've got a football match in 4 days. I doubt many people on here let their profession rule they're lives 24/7, so why should it be any different for Partridge, Orr and Brown? Fights should in no way be condoned, but do you really think they wanted to be in the situation? Of course there is a lesson to be learned by them but to suggest they be sacked is unbelievable. They have just been rather silly. Finally, this didn't involve players that generally don't give a t***, it involved 2 players (Brown and Orr) who are constantly praised for their effort and workrate so as long as this continues who the hell are we to tell them what to do with their lives outside football? We pay them to perform on the pitch, which they are doing.

I've never really contributed to the forum before, but I have to say there's been a major over-reaction to this weeks events by a lot of you. By going out for a drink the players have not betrayed you at all. Most young men/women drink so don't be so patronising to suggest they're not allowed to just because they've got a football match in 4 days. I doubt many people on here let their profession rule they're lives 24/7, so why should it be any different for Partridge, Orr and Brown? Fights should in no way be condoned, but do you really think they wanted to be in the situation? Of course there is a lesson to be learned by them but to suggest they be sacked is unbelievable. They have just been rather silly. Finally, this didn't involve players that generally don't give a t***, it involved 2 players (Brown and Orr) who are constantly praised for their effort and workrate so as long as this continues who the hell are we to tell them what to do with their lives outside football? We pay them to perform on the pitch, which they are doing.

The question is: did the players, considering their responsibilities as footballers, take the appropriate measures to ensure that they had a trouble-free night? Sounds like they didn't from what we have heard. With a little common sense any football player can get drunk/go to a club without ending up arrested/in hospital. They've been stupid, that's why it happened.

On saturday we have a very important six-pointer (sad but true), and are three players short. Are you sure you won't be angry with them too if we lose?

My job is not picked upon in the public eye. My job does not rely on fitness. The public do not know me. Children (except my own) do not look up to me as an idol.

I do not have any problem with players going out and having a good time, but to do what these guys did, which is clearly they're fault as the club has punished them, is stupid.

If I had done that, the BBC, Evening Post, SKY Sports, SKY News would not be reporting it.

Thats the difference. It's not blown out of proportion, it's not an over reaction, it's a reaction to the fact three of our players who we keep on about pulling on the red shirt with pride going out for the night, getting hammered, fighting and getting arrested.

Where's the over reaction when the fans are peed off with this type of behaviour from public figures they support every week?

MM

Over reaction.......! You do realise IF found guilty these players could face 5 years inside.

The club know what went on, we are presuming. I would have thought 2 weeks fine was enough! To lose 3 regular players for an important game is a kick in the teeth for supporters. i am paying good money to watch my team, i feel like i'm getting punished as well. I hope the result is the right one if not GJ to me was harsh. If these players made a habit of this fair enough! Just my way thinking!!

Spot on......The over-reaction has been massive! at the moment no one knows what has actual happened and looking at Newspaper reports it looks as if Parto took a bit of a beating and it's more of a case of Brown and Orr looking after their mate.

What I can't understand is why the City players are the only ones who got arrested??? If Parto has taken such a beating??? WHY! has no one else been arrested???

I find it funny that automatically everyone is blaming these players who although were out for Dinner and a drink? No one has said they where very drunk???

What is there to say that Parto was being provoked for his part in the Wales Defeat against England and it got a bit out of hand???

What is there to say that GJ hasn't made an example of them, to show the others they can't misbehave, as he has said he wanted to sort out the social lads at the club. And who honestly had Brown and Orr in that little gang? I didn't whenever they have been seen out and about it's usually at Riley's having a quiet game of Pool with a coca-cola???

Over reaction.......! You do realise IF found guilty these players could face 5 years inside.

Hold up a mo. I do agree with what each of you have said but I don't believe we know what actually happened. We don't know if our 3 players were picked on, we don't know if they started it. Lets have some trust in them that they did not go out of their way to start trouble. I agree with the suspension by GJ and the club. Lets wait for judgement when we know some of the facts. :dunno:

I have to say that i do share in some of what you are saying.

When i first heard what happened my reaction was the same as the majority of people on here, basically silly ####s. I agree with the opinion that these are professional athletes who have a responsibilty to the club and also the fans (in the same way that we have a responsibilty to behave when we watch City) however nobody has been charged, and to be honest nobody knows what happened. Yes i think it's right to be fined for there antics in terms of drinking, late nights and ultimately not thinking and putting City in a bad light, but we don't know who's done what and what actually went down. Until we do, then it's far to premature to start dishing out criticism and furhter punishment.

Guest dogwood

. No not a major over reaction at all . ( apart from the sacking comments ) most people can drink in the evenings, and go to work the next day and work without too much concern , although feeling groggy . so called footballers, need to train to GET FIT for upcoming game s . alcohol affects the body long after a session on the beer. if the training is affected , the performance on the day is affected , fitness levels, ARE affected . its not a case of being patronising , these players are PAID to be ATHLETES AND ENTERTAIN . what do you call entertainment , ? sorry performances week after week , ? losing 7:1 ? kicked out of the cup by barnet , ? 3rd from bottom of div 1 , ? . this is not the first time its happened . and before you start , yes i agree they are young lads, entitled to enjoy life , and go out , and have a life outside football . but when that affects , what they are supposed to do IN football , its not on . although yes, brown and orr have done ok . depends what you want from a team , i want good football, seem,s to have been forgotten at city . we have seen so much dross over the last year or so , it seem, fans are quite happy to put up with it . and i,m NOT saying the drinking culture is the only problem at the gate .

I doubt many people on here let their profession rule they're lives 24/7, so why should it be any different for Partridge, Orr and Brown?

Not many of us on here have the privilege of being professional footballers and what that entails.

i.e. A contract which binds them to some sort of professional behavior

in return for this they receive a great lifestlye, high wages (compared to 90% of us), and a job which 99% of us would give our right arms for

that's why IT IS different for them.

First of all, they haven't been found guilty so stop judging them until this occurs. No-one knows the full facts of what happened. Secondly, its just nothing to do with us. It is a matter for the police, the players families and GJ/SL. They weren't at work, they even had the day off the next day.

First of all, they haven't been found guilty so stop judging them until this occurs. No-one knows the full facts of what happened. Secondly, its just nothing to do with us. It is a matter for the police, the players families and GJ/SL. They weren't at work, they even had the day off the next day.

Just because they haven't been found guilty doesn't mean they won't.

I'm not saying they will but its still a very real possibility that they will get charged, as the police are still investigating. Its also a very real possibility that they were provoked and did nothing wrong. Regardless, they COULD get up to 5 years inside for the offense that they were arrested for.

They let us down, as fans, and as it's our club. They are ambassadors for our club, and their job relies on fitness and the right frame of mind.

If you'd just spent a week and a half of intensive training trying to get someone into the right shape, would you be happy if they then undid some of that by going out and getting "into a right mess?" I think we all know the answer.

This club has a drinking problem, there is no question of that, This post will probably get removed because we as a club like to sweep it under the carpet, but we do. The players go out and get totally battered with startling regularity. If they can't be trusted to go out, have a couple of drinks without something happening, then they don't deserve the priviledge.

They should be stopped from going to any clubs, til they can be trusted. If they were my players, I'd knock that on the head altogether. A pub by all means, but at a club you're always going to attract idiots.

its just nothing to do with us

I paid damn good money for my season ticket this year, so when MY money goes towards their wages it has alot to do with me.

Secondly I believe in the old saying ` There's no smoke without fire`

I'm not saying their guilty, what I did say was this is not an over reaction, the club has seen enough evidence that they have fined the players the MAXIMUM they can, also the police have enough evidence to arrest all 3, and in Partos case arrest him after he comes out of hospital.

IF and I repeat IF they get charged, found guilty this will not of been an "over reaction". This will tarnish OUR club with a very bad name for a long time ( if it hasn't already ).

Guest dogwood

wake up smell the coffee mate . the reaction is not totally to do with wednesday night , its to do with CONSTANT rumours/stories etc and FACTS of quite a few bristol city so called football players GETTING arrested , and being in these situations, . IT IS to do with us , many dads take their son,s to games to bring on future fans, if this carrys on ,there won,t be any . the club loses out yet again , these kids want role models, not overpaid idiots, who SEEM to get embroiled in trouble/fights etc quite often , . yes they are entitled to go out and enjoy life, but continually bringing the club into dis -repute, (various players/times) is not on , and IS to do with everyone concerned for the club .

Most young men/women drink so don't be so patronising to suggest they're not allowed to just because they've got a football match in 4 days. I doubt many people on here let their profession rule they're lives 24/7, so why should it be any different for Partridge, Orr and Brown?

It is completely and utterly irrelevant that most young men/women drink.

To be a top athlete you have to forego certain things your mates can get away with. To think otherwise is plain wrong.

Ask top athletes if they find getting ratted a week before a major final would affect their performance. I'm pretty sure I know what the answer would be.

I don't give a stuff what the norm is amongst lads in their 20s. That's no excuse. They wanted to be professional athletes and are well paid (partly by us) to be just that. If they aren't prepared to accept that being a top athlete means making sacrifices and having responsibilities then they are conning themselves, conning the club and conning us.

Steve Redgrave locked himself away in a training camp in the months running up to the Olympics. He wanted to be the best so he knew he had to let his profession rule his life 24/7. That is what being the best in sport requires.

I'd be quite happy for Johnson to set a curfew on these players of 11.30pm throughout the season no less than 3 days before a match. And a curfew of 10pm on them within 3 days of a match.

If they can't take it on themselves to be responsible - and it seems from recent events that they can't. Then treat them like the immature idiots they are and slap some rules on them that they have to adhere by.

If they don't like it they can f off, because there are plenty out there who would be only too willing to make the sacrifices necessary to have the priveleged lifestyle they enjoy.

There are no excuses. And anyone trying to make excuses for professional athletes at this club who abuse their bodies and their priveleged position have no argument what so ever.

Guest dogwood

It is completely and utterly irrelevant that most young men/women drink.

To be a top athlete you have to forego certain things your mates can get away with. To think otherwise is plain wrong.

Ask top athletes if they find getting ratted a week before a major final would affect their performance. I'm pretty sure I know what the answer would be.

I don't give a stuff what the norm is amongst lads in their 20s. That's no excuse. They wanted to be professional athletes and are well paid (partly by us) to be just that. If they aren't prepared to accept that being a top athlete means making sacrifices and having responsibilities then they are conning themselves, conning the club and conning us.

Steve Redgrave locked himself away in a training camp in the months running up to the Olympics. He wanted to be the best so he knew he had to let his profession rule his life 24/7. That is what being the best in sport requires.

I'd be quite happy for Johnson to set a curfew on these players of 11.30pm throughout the season no less than 3 days before a match. And a curfew of 10pm on them within 3 days of a match.

If they can't take it on themselves to be responsible - and it seems from recent events that they can't. Then treat them like the immature idiots they are and slap some rules on them that they have to adhere by.

If they don't like it they can f off, because there are plenty out there who would be only too willing to make the sacrifices necessary to have the priveleged lifestyle they enjoy.

There are no excuses. And anyone trying to make excuses for professional athletes at this club who abuse their bodies and their priveleged position have no argument what so ever.

hey , :chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez: somebody , intelligent, thoughtful , and a well put together post , :) you sure your a bristol city supporter, ? half of them on here think its all a joke, untill 4:45pm on a match day , and they can,t understand why theve, lost again . :grr:

My job is not picked upon in the public eye. My job does not rely on fitness. The public do not know me. Children (except my own) do not look up to me as an idol.

I do not have any problem with players going out and having a good time, but to do what these guys did, which is clearly they're fault as the club has punished them, is stupid.

If I had done that, the BBC, Evening Post, SKY Sports, SKY News would not be reporting it.

Thats the difference. It's not blown out of proportion, it's not an over reaction, it's a reaction to the fact three of our players who we keep on about pulling on the red shirt with pride going out for the night, getting hammered, fighting and getting arrested.

Where's the over reaction when the fans are peed off with this type of behaviour from public figures they support every week?

The over reaction has been by the club; the clubs action has already deemed the three players involved as guilty, hence all the posts on this forum. One question this raises is what breach of club discipline has been breached? are the players not allowed to go out and if not what is the period of time before a game that they can go out. The argument about fighting is a mute one since I do not know of anyone who would walk away from seeing their friend being beaten by blockhead doormen. I do know if I was in town and was getting beat up, then I would certainly expect my friends to come to my rescue and remember none of the have been charged with anything to date and the fact that Parto was pretty beaten up would seem to point to the doormen/security just doing what they do best. Just as footballers are paid to play, doormen are paid to fight or at least offer the threat. In my mind I find nothing wrong with players going out for a drink 4 days before a game and absolutely nothing wrong with the players protecting themselves and or their co players. We do expect them to support each other on the field why should there be an other standard when they are off the field.

MM

Yeah cus you always see Kelly homes and the likes gettiong smashed 4 days before a event don't you ..i wonder if that why she won her gold hummmmm :disapointed2se::grr:

Many of the posts on this thread are confusing being considered guilty of a criminal offence with being guilty of damaging the club's reputation and costing the club money.

Whether they are guiilty or not of the fracas in which they were involved is irrelevant.

The FACTS are that they have damaged the club's reputation, cost the club a loan signing, possibly eroded the confidence of the team for todays's game and probably forced Johnson to re-think his game plan.

It's not rocket science for any professional player to realise that whenever he is out in public, he is a local celebrity and his actions will be associated with the club.

Nor is it hard for anyone to turn the other cheek and quietly slip away at the first hint of trouble.

So why do they not realise that and why did they not do that?

They are paid handsomely by the club and in return the club expects some respect. In my eyes, what they did was gross misconduct and they should've got their marching orders.

Archived