IGNORED

Value Of The Academy

richwwtk

A bit bored and too much time this morning......

The argument put forward by Ashtonyate against the academy so far as I can see it is that it costs too much money to run and we'd be better off signing the players we need as we go. His own quoting of Steve Lansdown on another thread would suggest running costs of approx 3 million over the last 5 years (the figures quoted are about 670K a year but SL mentions that there are other incomes he hasn't offset against this).

I've tried to make a list of players we've brought in over this time and players that have come through from the academy, it may well not be comprehensive and my timings may be out on a couple (i.e. longer than 5 years ago)but I've tried to include as many as I can. Here it is....

Academy Products -

Ryan Harley, Cole Skuse, Leroy Lita (sold for 1million), Matt Hill (sold for 100K), Danny Coles (50K comp?), Dave Cotterill, Scott Golbourne, Scott Brown, Bradley Orr, Luke Wilkshire, Clayton Fortune, Steve Gillespie, Joe Burnell, Kevin Amankwaah, Liam Rosenior, Robin Hulbert, Aaron Brown, Craig Woodman, Joe Anyinsah (50K comp?)

Signed Players (cost to us overall in brackets) -

Richard Keogh (free), Steve Brooker (300K), Marcus Stewart (free), Michael Bridges (free), Jamie Smith (free), Alex Russell (free), Lee Peacock (600K), Dave Partridge (150K), Tony Dinning (free), Steve Jones (300K), Lee MIller (net 25K), Grant Smith (free), Matt Heywood (free), Tony Butler (free), Christian Roberts (150K), Lee Matthews (100K??), Marc Goodfellow (net 75K?), Tony Rougier, Paul Heffernan (net 50K?)

This means the Academy players over this time have brought in about 1.2 million (plus say 50K in assorted comps that I've not remembered so 1.25 million overall). Offset this against the costs of the Academy means that it has cost us about 1.75 million.

The amount spent on players in this time is almost exactly the 1.75 million that the Academy has cost us so it comes down to which group of players is better. On this point you can clear departed players by comparing the players from each side and discount any of equal contribution to the club so by my own dodgy judgement (and being harsh on academians to further prove the point)....

Steve Jones = Kevin Amankwaah

Lee Peacock = Leroy Lita

Tony Dinning = Robin Hulbert

Tony Butler = Danny Coles

Tony Rougier = Liam Rosenior

Christian Roberts = Aaron Brown

Marc Goodfellow = Joe Burnell

Lee Miller/Lee Matthews/Paul Heffernan = Matt Hill

This leaves us two sets of players that have cost us about the same in overall terms.....

Richard Keogh, Steve Brooker, Marcus Stewart, Michael Bridges, Alex Russell, Dave Partridge, Jamie Smith, Grant Smith, & Matt Heywood

OR

Ryan Harley, Cole Skuse, Dave Cotterill, Scott Golbourne, Scott Brown, Bradley Orr, Luke Wilkshire, Clayton Fortune, Steve Gillespie & Craig Woodman.

I think it's a pretty safe bet which group of players most people would choose based on what they've already contributed to the club let alone future potenial!

When you also include the considerably higher wages that the first group will be on, plus signing on fees etc and the whole thing becomes a no-brainer

I don't expect anybody at all to have followed this but it's made me feel better so nyah :razz:

Luke Wiltshire £250k, Scot Brown, Bradley Orr, Steve Gillespie were not our academy players and Robin Hulbert was signed from Swindon for a small fee l think so that reduces your list of players that you think most people would choose and although the guy has some talent football wise,if only someone could get it out of him, l don't think many people would go along with Clayton Fortune

Archived