IGNORED

Tony Grant

A Horse With No Name

Not sure if this has been covered before, but I'll ask anyway. I read in a paper in the week (not sure which one) that Tony Grant had been offered a new contract by his current club Burnley, but cannot play for them until January because he had signed a week to week contract with us, since the close of the transfer window. We sent him back after just one game, deeming him unsuitable. This situation seems strange because loan signings are still taking place, with players going back to their clubs, and playing at the end of it. I have two questions arising from this situation. Firstly, does it mean that Grant is still registered to play for us, if we wanted him to, because he is unable to play for anyone else? And secondly why would a player go on a week to week contract instead of a loan, during the season, if he knew this could happen?

I find this loan situation absoloutely unbelievable anyway. The transfer window, I totally agree with, because I believe that clubs should have to operate with their own players once the season has began. It benefits clubs like ourselves, who have a strong reserve and Academy set up, and should encourage other clubs to do similar. Also, injuries and suspensions are part and parcel of the game, and should be accounted for when building a squad pre season. However, then I find that any amount of "emergency loans" are allowed throughout the season, making a mockery of the window anyhow. Emergency loans, if they have to be allowed at all, should be just that. In the event of a goalkeeper crisis, or an outbreak of illness, there should be a clause to help out stricken clubs. I have never forgotten how Rovers "loaned" their way out of trouble a few years back when they were hurtling towards the Conference with a handful of games to go. They borrowed about 5 players, including Rammell, and finished safe.

What do others think? By the way, I though Tony Grant was quality in his game for us, and would love to see him again.

Guest The Codfather 0312

Yea it just don't seem like it has all been thought out properly by the Fa, Uefa and Fifa.

The emergency loan thing is meant to be what it's called but it seems like everyone can loan who they want when they want regardless of injury's or suspensions.

The emergency loan thing is meant to be what it's called but it seems like everyone can loan who they want when they want regardless of injury's or suspensions.

That's the impression I get too.

As for Tony Grant, this seems crazy. He was out of contract with Burnley in the summer, we signed him on a non-contract basis, he's no longer here so surely he's a free agent and could play for anyone who wants his services. I guess he could still play for us, but I'm not certain. Has anyone got a link to a story about this?

Archived