IGNORED

Just Back From Oldham

out of harms way

Live in Manchester - so back already.

First half was very poor - midfield not winning much ball and not very good at keeping it when they have it either. Defence just opened up for their 2 goals.

Second half was better - a bit more grit to the team and the midfield - but the defence still looked dodgy. Not fair to blame Phillips - he couldn't have done much about any of the goals and i only remember one real flap.

Quin looked good - a handful for defenders and a good goal - though he should have scored it first time - not after the rebound off the keeper.

Murray's goal was class - nice to see him run to the fans and kiss the badge too. Overall though - he put too many balls into nowhere.

For twenty two quid - at least it was entertaining - but not too much quality on show.

:farmer:

We definitely need a few new players but the signs were encouraging on the whole.

We need at least one decent winger, if not 2, as although Brown and Murray both scored, we were really lacking in width and pace when attacking. We also need someone who can impose himself on the centre of midfield. Skuse and Wilkshire didn't get a grip on things until late in the 2nd half when the Oldham players tired.

Finally, Louis Carey must not be allowed anywhere near the first team until he can get his act together. He was wholly responsible for Oldham's second goal, allowing Wellens to run into the box and shoot on goal without even thinking about making a tackle. In the whole time he was on the pitch I saw him win one header and precisely zero tackles. Passes to him were either knocked lazily back to Phillips or hoofed aimlessly towards the Oldham keeper. Bradley Orr looked a hundred times better when he came on.

On a positive note, Quinn looked excellent. He has a good touch, wins a lot in the air and works hard. His goal came when one of the Oldham centre backs slipped in dealing with a long ball into the box, leaving Quinn through on goal. The keeper saved his shot but Quinn did well to pick up the loose ball and make space for another shot, which went in. Cotterill also seemed to do more when Quinn was on, but there were precious few signs of him striking up a partnership with either Stewart or Quinn. I think we need to bring in a pacy striker to play alongside Quinn/Brooker.

In summary, there were some encouraging signs but I think 3 or 4 new signings are needed if we are to be contenders this season.

Archived