IGNORED

Arsenal's Penalty

The Batman

For those of you that aint heard it yet, Pires scored one pen, then they had another one. He tried to pass it to Henry, just like Cryuff did for Holland ages ago. A Free kick to Man City was awarded, i think the law is being reformed by the FA this evening to determine what should happen when a pen is awarded.

I aint seen it yet, waiting for Match Of The Day.

Just Arsenal being cocky and arrogant again IMO

For those of you that aint heard it yet, Pires scored one pen, then they had another one. He tried to pass it to Henry, just like Cryuff did for Holland ages ago. A Free kick to Man City was awarded, i think the law is being reformed by the FA this evening to determine what should happen when a pen is awarded.

I aint seen it yet, waiting for Match Of The Day.

Just Arsenal being cocky and arrogant again IMO

Stuart Pearce said it was a nice idea... I beg to differ.

1-0 up you just want to kill the game off... What a moronic thing to do... But alas if it succeeded.

I bet Pires won't be taking one again for a while!

So what exactly happened then? The law says that all the ball has to do is go forwards at least the distance of the circumference (sp?), and not touched a second time by the kicker until another player has touched it.

I haven't seen it yet so unaware the exact happenings :dunno:

edit: I see that the news article Danakin posted confirms exactly what I just said...

The law was changed a few years back

After the penalty taker has touched the ball

nether he or any of this team mates can touch the ball untill

(a) one of the opposition has touched it

or

(b) the ball hits the woodwork

note

the penalty taker cant touch the ball again untill its touched another player

The law was changed a few years back

After the penalty taker has touched the ball

nether he or any of this team mates can touch the ball untill

(a) one of the opposition has touched it

or

(b) the ball hits the woodwork

note

the penalty taker cant touch the ball again untill its touched another player

Are you sure?

As lifted from the FIFA web site to back up my earlier presumptions:

Procedure

* The player taking the penalty kicks the ball forward.

* He does not play the ball a second time until it has touched another player.

* The ball is in play when it is kicked and moves forward.

When a penalty kick is taken during the normal course of play, or time has been extended at half-time or full time to allow a penalty kick to be taken or retaken, a goal is awarded if, before passing between the goalposts and under the crossbar:

* the ball touches either or both of the goalposts and/or the crossbar, and/or the goalkeeper.

And the important phrase here is 'touched another player' - i.e. any other person on the pitch, whether that is a team mate or an opposition player.

Absolutely fricking stupid, if henry wanted to score why didn't he take the penalty him self!!!!

as i said in the post above, it is them being arrogant. I'd accept it if they were 3-0 up and top of the league, but they aint the dominent force in the premiership anymore. 1-0 against Man City when they aint even in a uefa cup place (yet) is just stupid. However, saying that, I still think that Henry is the best forward in the world (but that is another debate)

Archived