IGNORED

Blaming Lansdown

Guest Harry Dolman

Guest Harry Dolman

A common theme seems to be that people blame Lansdown for appointing Tinnion when "they just knew he couldn't do the job". How absurd we scoff that a rookie manager could bring success.

I wonder how many Southend fans thought the same about Steve Tilson, or Fulham fans thought the same about Chris Coleman. Perhaps some City fans thought the same about Jordan in 1989 & maybe some Barnsley fans questioned the appointment of Danny Wilson all those years ago.

It was a decision taken with good intentions, it went wrong, get over it. Most people agree we have a good manager in place, let forget the past.

A common theme seems to be that people blame Lansdown for appointing Tinnion when "they just knew he couldn't do the job". How absurd we scoff that a rookie manager could bring success.

I wonder how many Southend fans thought the same about Steve Tilson, or Fulham fans thought the same about Chris Coleman. Perhaps some City fans thought the same about Jordan in 1989 & maybe some Barnsley fans questioned the appointment of Danny Wilson all those years ago.

It was a decision taken with good intentions, it went wrong, get over it. Most people agree we have a good manager in place, let forget the past.

Agreed. People need to get over it and move on. No more talk of Danny Wilson, Brian Tinnion or anyone else. We need to expend our energies on those people who are still part of the club we love.

We now have a manager that most people believe is the right man for the job. He's now got to work his stuff on the club and it's up to SteveL - along with us all - to back him up. I think the board know they've got a winner in charge and that there would be little point in bringing him here (and paying the equivalent of a decent transfer fee to do so) if they weren't prepared to back his decisions in whatever way they can. January can't come soon enough for me.

Agreed. People need to get over it and move on. No more talk of Danny Wilson, Brian Tinnion or anyone else. We need to expend our energies on those people who are still part of the club we love.

We now have a manager that most people believe is the right man for the job. He's now got to work his stuff on the club and it's up to SteveL - along with us all - to back him up. I think the board know they've got a winner in charge and that there would be little point in bringing him here (and paying the equivalent of a decent transfer fee to do so) if they weren't prepared to back his decisions in whatever way they can. January can't come soon enough for me.

Gary Johnson is a winner and his record at Yeovil proves that. As for most of the players he's inherited here - they're very far from having the mental and physical determination to be winners.

Totally agree with ya. Every manager has to start somewhere - even Alex Ferguson at St Mirren many moons ago. The past is in the past and there is no point in raking it up time and again

Guest MaloneFM

I don't blame him for appointing Tinnion.

Much as I don't blame Tinnion for designing a badge we didn't want, producing a poor quiality home shirt and a horrible away one and charging 40 quid, selling bricks to a stand that won't be built for ages along with debenture seats, banging up season ticket prices for the same old rubbish, ignoring suggestions from paying customers such as opening the East End and charging rip off prices for muck served by chavs that passes as food.

So now we're square. Lovely :D

In one post you say that supporters have a right to vent their feelings, yet here, you tell them to "get over it and move on.".

Surely, people have the right to ask, HOW DID WE GET HERE ?

I feel the title of another post coming on.....

"BCFC the wilderness years - how did we get here??".

That's a nice way of looking at it but you have to put things into context.

Landsdown didn't just appoint a rookie manager, but did so to replace a manager that had very narrowly missed out on promotion. Very risky timing.

Tinnion then raised about £1.7m to pay off debts but lost the wealth of our talent in doing so. The club saved loads on staff wages but got nowhere on the pitch, naturally SL gets criticised.

I'm not sure how smart he is to be honest. We've certainly had some fools at the helm at this club!

:chant6ez:

If you strip the emotion out, what you are left with is season after season of failure. Regardless of your opinion of Lansdown, the buck stops with him.

I think Lansdown is well-intentioned and doing his best for the club, but he simply did not have any experience at running a professional football club when he took over as chairman in 2002.

While his attempts to produce a winning team without overspending have been creditable, his lack of know-how in the area has been highlighted by other clubs sailing past us on smaller budgets and fewer resources.

OK, he has now installed Johnson, whom many people feel is the man to bring success to the club, but he can only do that if Lansdown is prepared to back him and bite the bullet to get rid of players he doesn't want and sign the players he does want.

Lansdown baulked at that when Wilson said he wanted money to rebuild the team after the play-off failure in 2004 - and Wilson walked.

I hope he's learned from his 3 years in the hot seat and pray he doesn't make the same mistake again.

Under SL we have done absolutley nothing, that's what matters at the end of the day.

I'm not a fan.

On another thread it says another "major" investor is ready and financially able to help City, but wont get involved whilst SL is chairman.....whats that about ?

Guest Tactical Genius

the trouble with forgetting the past is that he has yet to be accountable for his consistently poor decision making.

i've asked this many a time but it never gets answered, when was his last decent decision, or half decent, that didn't involve bailing the club out financially? (appointing Johnson won't count as an answer because as yet it's too early to tell).

Guest ashtonyate

The differance is Tinnion managed the club he was playing for, it hard to be a player one day manager the next as well there is so much expectation at the club he was alway on a loser. I still think he will make it as a manager one day.

Guest Harry Dolman

The differance is Tinnion managed the club he was playing for, it hard to be a player one day manager the next as well there is so much expectation at the club he was alway on a loser. I still think he will make it as a manager one day.

There is no difference at all, Tilson was a player at Southend, when Webb got the sack Tilson was put in temp charge (ala Paul Trollope), did well & the rest is history. Coleman was a player at Fulham, got crocked, TIgana got the boot & again Coleman had temp charge & made it work.

the trouble with forgetting the past is that he has yet to be accountable for his consistently poor decision making.

i've asked this many a time but it never gets answered, when was his last decent decision, or half decent, that didn't involve bailing the club out financially? (appointing Johnson won't count as an answer because as yet it's too early to tell).

I accept the buck stops with Lansdown. But tell me how do you appoint a successful manager ??

Peter Reid, Danny Wilson, Mike Walker & Joe Jordan - 4 names that immediately come to mind who achieved a lot of success in their 1st managerial job (when by rights they should be least effective - most people get better at their job with experience) & failed miserably as managers ever since.

Danny Wilson got Barnsley to the prem with less time & money than he had here & he couldn't get us out of Div 3. Tony Pullis (not that I like him) has had a reasonable amount of success at most of his clubs but failed miserably here. There is no magic recipe for appointing a successful manager, actually there is, appoint the guy thats just won the Champions League & give him unlimited funds to build possibly the best squad in european history.

In no way is Lansdown perfect but compared to a lot of other chairman, I am happy with what we have, even more so bearing in mind there doesn't appear to be a queue of russian oil magnates knocking on his door.

Guest Tactical Genius

it's not just about appointing managers though harry.

it's all the other crap like starting to sell millenium stadium tickets from the corners rather than from the half way line so that the best seats go to the daytrippers.

crap like forgetting to offer liam rosenior a new contract.

crap like putting season tickets in the dolman up by £50 and justifying it by lieing about reduced capacity.

crap like signing marcus stewart because he says he wants to play for us and selling lita before we needed to in order to pay for it.

then there's all the things that malone mentions above. all of this and yet he remains virtually fireproof because of the financial muscle, despite the fact that not one forum member can point to a decent decision whenever I ask the question.

Guest Harry Dolman

it's not just about appointing managers though harry.

it's all the other crap like starting to sell millenium stadium tickets from the corners rather than from the half way line so that the best seats go to the daytrippers.

crap like forgetting to offer liam rosenior a new contract.

crap like putting season tickets in the dolman up by £50 and justifying it by lieing about reduced capacity.

crap like signing marcus stewart because he says he wants to play for us and selling lita before we needed to in order to pay for it.

then there's all the things that malone mentions above. all of this and yet he remains virtually fireproof because of the financial muscle, despite the fact that not one forum member can point to a decent decision whenever I ask the question.

Many of those are fair points I guess I am happier to go with the flow than others - E.g lots of people complain about the price of merchandise - to me its all (at every club) a rip off so I don't buy it.

Disagree about Lita - a million was a good offer for a player with just 1 full season behind him & just 12 months left on his contract.

Time will tell with Stewart but Bridges was a gamble that didn't work.

Totally agree about the new stand farce, can't believe we started selling bricks for it !

Archived