IGNORED

Brighton New Stadium

nogginthenog

So Brighton finally have permission to go ahead with their new 23,000 capacity stadium at Fulmer. I'm sure that as a result of this we will see another club on the up a la Wigan Hull etc.

It begs the question that if we were to relocate or redevelop would we see a change of fortune.

I am of the belief that with the city of Bristol having 2 clubs achieving nothing that we may indeed be better off with one well supported team.

I realise that this suggestion will be very controversial, and I see it as very much in the future but the way things are going surely it is the future.

Wouldn't it be good to see a new 30,000+ stadium operating at capacity with a good standard of football and faciltys being built in the area for the whole community, this has to be the way forward.

At the moment we don't even seem able to build a new stand, I think it's a disgrace that we haven't even knocked down the crumbling East End as yet let alone laid the foundations for the proposed new stand.

I'm sure that with better facilitys we would see an up turn in attendances therefore reducing the debt and giving us what we're all crying out for a succesful side on the pitch.

Opinions please!! :city:

So Brighton finally have permission to go ahead with their new 23,000 capacity stadium at Fulmer. I'm sure that as a result of this we will see another club on the up a la Wigan Hull etc.

It begs the question that if we were to relocate or redevelop would we see a change of fortune.

I am of the belief that with the city of Bristol having 2 clubs achieving nothing that we may indeed be better off with one well supported team.

I realise that this suggestion will be very controversial, and I see it as very much in the future but the way things are going surely it is the future.

Wouldn't it be good to see a new 30,000+ stadium operating at capacity with a good standard of football and faciltys being built in the area for the whole community, this has to be the way forward.

At the moment we don't even seem able to build a new stand, I think it's a disgrace that we haven't even knocked down the crumbling East End as yet let alone laid the foundations for the proposed new stand.

I'm sure that with better facilitys we would see an up turn in attendances therefore reducing the debt and giving us what we're all crying out for a succesful side on the pitch.

Well i think the plan is to eventually develop both the dolman and williams stands aswell, which WILL give us a 30,000 seater stadium!

Well i think the plan is to eventually develop both the dolman and williams stands aswell, which WILL give us a 30,000 seater stadium!

By the time we get to rebuilding the williams and Dolman the new East End will be out of date the way things are going at the moment, my thinking is a new super stadium which the city can be proud of, which WILL increase attendances, just look at Swansea, increased numbers has led to better performance on the pitch. Many will consider new stadia to be "plastic" and souless I see it as the only way to progress :city:

Guest WillsbridgeRed

We wont be moving from Ashton Gate, this is not for want of trying I understand.

As for developing Ashton Gate, this really does need to get going, although with the economy facing a downturn I think it is right that the future of this club is not gambled with for the sake of a few pennies.

People should support their club if they can in relation to their financial situation, not because they don't like the facilities. I always thought you went to City to watch football and cheer your side, not expect 5 star gourmet food and plastic nonsense.

I honestly beleive the reason we havent got a new stadium or ours redeveloped yet is because we don't make enough fuss about it. Brighton fans have been campaigning and have got mps on there side and thats the difference. Who have we got fighting for us? Colin getting nowhere sexton.What has he really acheived since he arrived at city? nice chap but rather have progress!

We wont be moving from Ashton Gate, this is not for want of trying I understand.

As for developing Ashton Gate, this really does need to get going, although with the economy facing a downturn I think it is right that the future of this club is not gambled with for the sake of a few pennies.

People should support their club if they can in relation to their financial situation, not because they don't like the facilities. I always thought you went to City to watch football and cheer your side, not expect 5 star gourmet food and plastic nonsense.

:chant6ez:

I love the Gate - character... you don't get that from a multi million pound stadium!

just look at Swansea, increased numbers has led to better performance on the pitch.

The jacks won promotion at the old vetch field, a crumbling hole. They have started this season well, so that is why their attendances are up, as soon as they slide down the table the crowds will fall!!

Luton play in a dump and that hasn't stopped them going forward.

Bristolians will only crawl out of the woodwork in large numbers to watch football or rugby or any other sport for that matter, when and only when the team is allready being succesful, they wont turn up and fill a shiny new stadium on a regular basis unless they are winning and at the top of the table, or in the premiership when they would turn up to watch the opposition!!

We need to stop dreaming of big new stadiums and thinking of ourselves as a big club, and get building the basics of a squad that is willing and capable of scrapping away to win points, firstly to stay in this league, then to get out of it in the right direction!!!!!

Guest The Codfather 0312

It is great news for Brighton. It just goes to show if you put the effort and time and passion and commitment in then you can get what you want.

I'm a firm believer that City do need to move away from Ashton Gate to a new stadium. Yes it will take alot of hard work and people will need to be convinced that it's the right move to move away from Ashton Gate.

People say Ashton Gate is are home, Ashton Gate has got Character. Well so did Maine Road, Elm park, Highfield road, The Vetch, Plus the two premiership teams stadiums Highbury and Anfield but there still moving to new stadiums.

They could of all redeveloped there grounds to the capacity of there new stadiums if they wanted but realized that it would cost too much money and take alot longer than the 2-3 years of building a new stadium and would lose alot of money with a reduced capacity.

So lets see sense and say bugger the new east end lets build a new stadium and fight for it.

:chant6ez:

I love the Gate - character... you don't get that from a multi million pound stadium!

I love the gate too but with an extreme lack of atmosphere due to a lack of success on the pitch. A new or updated stadium would put a good few thousand on attendances. It would then be up to us old hands to create atmosphere, something I know people are trying to create (g block).Playing to packed houses must motivate the players in these new plastic stadiums.Apart from Darlington I can't think of anyone doing badly in a new stadium :city:

Guest The Codfather 0312
I agree with both points of veiw here. The most important thing is to get things right on the pitch, with the right players with the right attitude. Then and only then redevelope AG or move on, but this will only happen if you fight for it.

Yes we do need to sort the team out. But fighting for a stdium at the same time would not stop us from building a good team. Infact the extra money we could receve from a new stadium would help us build a good team. Players would be more inclined to join us because of are facilities.

I,m working with the thought that its not going to take GJ too long to get things right here. maybe its time then for city fans to take the aproach of the Brighton Fans and make things start happening. Something tells me its going to be along fight against Bristol City Council. Could really do with the so called celebrity city fans coming forward and voice their apinions on this.

Guest The Codfather 0312
I,m working with the thought that its not going to take GJ too long to get things right here. maybe its time then for city fans to take the aproach of the Brighton Fans and make things start happening. Something tells me its going to be along fight against Bristol City Council. Could really do with the so called celebrity city fans coming forward and voice their apinions on this.

I have no doubts in my mind that Gj will get it right for us eventually. Yes we will need a fight but it's a fight worth fighting for. But then we would also have a fight with the City fans that do not want to move away from Ashton Gate.

Yes some city wont be happy to move away from AG but how many fans do you think had the same veiws at other grounds around the country that have moved? Too be honest with you, i'd rather stay at AG myself, its convenient for me to get to and its a ground i've attended since just walking, and i'd probably cry when its knocked down, so what ever the future holds we have to live with. what i'd like is the sunderland stadium on AG and everyones a winner, but cant see that happening soon.

For those who understand such things - you have identified a correlation rather than a causal relationship. In cases like Wigan and Hull - it's an injection of money that has led to both (a) success and (b) a new stadium.

There are quite a few clubs with new stadia that aren't doing so well. Indeed there was a recent post about Southampton, bemoaning the loss of the Dell's atmosphere. And clubs like Leicester and Derby aren't setting the footballing world alight at present.

Whether we would benefit depends on the finances (does it lead to a net gain or net loss, taking account of eg proceeds from selling AG?), and whether something as mundane as a new stadium would be enough to encourage the good folk of Bristol to get off their collective backsides and come and watch some football. On that basis, it's probably a no :grr:

Guest The Codfather 0312
People say Ashton Gate is are home

Players would be more inclined to join us because of are facilities.

OUR

If you havn't got anything to say that's constructive then don't say it. It twas a simple mistake and I apoligise to you for upseting you.

Well if you insist on opinions to your comments...

I disagree with just about every word.

I'm a Bristol City fan. If Bristol United come into existence in their fancy new stadium with their new kit what am I supposed to do on a Saturday? Support a new team? Doesn't work like that.

Why don't we merge with the Gas, become a rugby team and relocate to Northern Ireland? Okay I'm becoming a bit hostile...

This football supporting isn't about success, comfort and cheerleaders.

It's about allegiances, tradition, loyalty, passion and pride.

Or summat.

Well if you insist on opinions to your comments...

I disagree with just about every word.

I'm a Bristol City fan. If Bristol United come into existence in their fancy new stadium with their new kit what am I supposed to do on a Saturday? Support a new team? Doesn't work like that.

Why don't we merge with the Gas, become a rugby team and relocate to Northern Ireland? Okay I'm becoming a bit hostile...

This football supporting isn't about success, comfort and cheerleaders.

It's about allegiances, tradition, loyalty, passion and pride.

Or summat.

Maybe City shouldn't MERGE with Rovers but instead you should build a super-stadium that you could both share. Pool resources.

So sharing with the Gas horrifies you??

Doesn't do Inter & AC Milan any harm DOES IT? The San Siro is possibly Italy's best stadium.

Archived