IGNORED

Basso To Start Against Notts County

Taz

I think he will start just because Johnson has proved before at yeovil he is not afriad to change keepers even in league matches. Because if i remmeber correctly last season they swapped Chris Weale around with the other youngster just for competition. It worked for them Hope it can Work for us!

My Team Vs Notts County

..........................................Basso...................................

......................................................................................

..........Orr........................Partridge..............Sankofa.........

......................................................................................

...Murray............Brown©..............Russell...........Wilkshire..

.......................................Bridges....................................

............................Madjo...............Gillespe........................

He signed for Partick so forget him.

I can't believe people think that it is Phillips' fault, his back four are a shambles and the midfield offer absolutely no defensive protection either.

Yesterday he redeemed a terrible back pass by Sankofa and every game he is keeping the score down.

In 2003/4 he was an ever present (again) and we conceded the least goals in all four divisions, what happened, did he get lucky 46 times? I doubt it.

Good on yer Sip!

There's too many so called 'experts' on here looking to lay blame at one persons door when it's clear that the defence and midfield offer nothing in the way of protection.

All this talk of Basso, when people havn't seen him play, is surprising if not downright stupid. How does anybody know what sort of keeper he is? And before anyone says he can't be worse than Philips, you can't make that judgement without seeing him play.

I've watched the Prem last night and the Championship this morning and the amount of keeper errors was amazing, even Cech was at it. Maybe it was a collective keepers error day?

I've never been a huge fan of Phillips but to blame him as the sole reason we are shipping goals is a strange case of tunnel vision. I don't think that GJ has helped matters by putting the blame, seemingly, on Phillips shoulders alone. Yes it was a mistake for the first goal but it happens. To make out that we'd have won the game if not for that is a cheap shot. I'm becoming increasingly concerned at the 'blame culture' that GJ is fostering here. Why would anyone think that the continual reference to the january window and players being shipped out would make those players perform better? GJ came here with good credentials but I havn't seen anything yet apart from whinging and whining about the team. If he's such a good manager he should be able to make more of this team even if it is poor. What's he going to do in january, replace the entire team?

By all means start Basso in the next few games then at least we can see what he's like and make a comparison with Phillips. If we don't concede goals then that'll be one less problem we have.

I don't think its a matter of knocking phillips or singling him out as a scapegoat - he is clearly lacking in confidence at the moment and if we are serious about having competition for the no1 jersey then we have to give Basso a chance.

As I said, Phillips can and WILL play better and its good that everyone is so loyal to phillips. But we shouldnt be afraid to make changes when its for the benefit of the team.

I don't think its a matter of knocking phillips or singling him out as a scapegoat - he is clearly lacking in confidence at the moment and if we are serious about having competition for the no1 jersey then we have to give Basso a chance.

As I said, Phillips can and WILL play better and its good that everyone is so loyal to phillips. But we shouldnt be afraid to make changes when its for the benefit of the team.

"... unfortunately Steve Phillips has made a bad mistake for it to go Southend's way." GJ commenting on yesterday's game. If that isn't singling him out as a scapegoat I don't know what is.

Of course he's lacking in confidence he's had so many put past him this season confidence will be in short supply. 16 different defensive combinatons in front of him this season can't be doing anything for his nerves.

As I've said, I don't mind Basso being given the opportunity, maybe he's the answer to our defensive frailties, although as far as I can tell that occurs further up the pitch than the goalkeepers position. I don't know that Basso will be an improvement and neither, I'll wager, does anybody else. I don't know it will categorically benefit the team either because we don't really know what Basso is like.

It is right that there is competition for the keepers jersey and we might as well see what Basso has to offer, long term it can only help the team to have that competition for the position.

Guest MaloneFM

That Columbian bloke that played in a friendly against England and saved a shot with a forward somersault ?

Since when was a Columbian a Brazillian? And its spelt Rene Hiuguita and the 'scorpion save' which was from a Jamie Rednapp lob didn't count as it was offside and that was all he did in the game.

WOW those 'loco' south Americans eh?

He was showing off and looked like Rick James anyway. No kids that was Sally James and she did Tiswas. :doh:

Brasso for Flappy? If its a new face you want try one of the youth team but replacing him for replacings sake waves goodbye to yet another three points. Has anyone actually seen him play yet?

Has anyone actually seen him play yet?

Well, I'm assuming some of the coaching staff have seen him and they've decoded to hire him to provide competition for Steve Phillips. And if they think he's worth hiring as a backup to Phillips, thats good enough for me. I'd trust the view of proffesional coaches and managers over the view of a few fans any day.

How many people had seen Steve Phillips before HE was given a go in the first team ?

And on the trivia question, how about Claudio Taffarel ? He was fairly unconventional. (although I'll accept that its unusual to see flair from a goalkeeper !)

Archived