IGNORED

Phillips

mozo

I do enjoy a debate with Robbored and Co. about Phillips so I offer you my counter arguments:

Firstly, I blame him for the first goal and don't give credence to the people that blamed the movement of the ball in the air, or the lack of closing down. No excuses on that one. However...

These are the two reasons that have commonly been given for his needing 'a rest':

1) We are leaking too many goals.

In which case we need to rest the whole defence (none of them have looked infallible), not to mention our defensive midfielder, Cole Skuse. Each defender has made more blunders than their goaly this season that have led to goals.

2) He is a one-dimensional player, a shot-stopper and nothing else.

Beg to differ. His kicking has been flawed this season. His punching is good and he hasn't flapped at crosses any more than most keepers at this level. The lack of confidence has affected every player at City, why should he be any different. People say that he isn't vocal enough too. Well, I heard one fan yesterday, shouting 'Stop telling your defenders what to do and concentrate on your own game Phillips!'

The most bizarre part of the calls for his dropping, though, is that 99% of people on this forum have never seen Basso play. How can you want a player dropped when you haven't seen the alternative. I've seen him once, but couldn't judge him - he had nothing to do in that game.

To be honest Petr Cech would concede a bucket load if playing for us. He'd be a nervous wreck after a few games, too.

I do enjoy a debate with Robbored and Co. about Phillips so I offer you my counter arguments:

Firstly, I blame him for the first goal and don't give credence to the people that blamed the movement of the ball in the air, or the lack of closing down. No excuses on that one. However...

These are the two reasons that have commonly been given for his needing 'a rest':

In which case we need to rest the whole defence (none of them have looked infallible), not to mention our defensive midfielder, Cole Skuse. Each defender has made more blunders than their goaly this season that have led to goals.

Beg to differ. His kicking has been flawed this season. His punching is good and he hasn't flapped at crosses any more than most keepers at this level. The lack of confidence has affected every player at City, why should he be any different. People say that he isn't vocal enough too. Well, I heard one fan yesterday, shouting 'Stop telling your defenders what to do and concentrate on your own game Phillips!'

The most bizarre part of the calls for his dropping, though, is that 99% of people on this forum have never seen Basso play. How can you want a player dropped when you haven't seen the alternative. I've seen him once, but couldn't judge him - he had nothing to do in that game.

To be honest Petr Cech would concede a bucket load if playing for us. He'd be a nervous wreck after a few games, too.

I totally agree..

I do think he needs decent competition though.. mite spark him up abit more.. but confidence is the thing thats effecting everyone at this club

So is Basso REALLY there to provide competition for Phillips ? If he IS, then an FA cup match would be the obvious time to bring him in wouldnt it ?

It seems ridiculous to hire a goalkeeper to provide cover and then not use him, no matter how shakey your first choice goalie looks. Yes, the defence has to share some of the blame - two of the goals came from shots just outside the area and they should have been closed down sooner. But, we all know that a confident Phillips is a lot more positive. Yesterday, and in recent recent weeks he's looked nervous and thats starting to affect his performances. It wasnt just the three goals yesterday.

Either we play Basso now, or we drop this pretence of competition for places.

So is Basso REALLY there to provide competition for Phillips ? If he IS, then an FA cup match would be the obvious time to bring him in wouldnt it ?

It seems ridiculous to hire a goalkeeper to provide cover and then not use him, no matter how shakey your first choice goalie looks.

He's there to cover for injuries. The coaching staff see both keepers in training every day and if Basso was the new Dida, I think we'd know about it by now.

I'm happy for him to play in the cup game, though. It's a good chance to experiment. Maybe Benyon should get a run out too.

Archived