IGNORED

Mickey Bell

Maesknoll Red

................ a season too soon?

Given our total lack of left sided ability and also that AFAIK Mickey was never one of the 'town crew' I'm sure he could have been of benefit to us this season.

I thought he was well past it. What annoys me is that we didn't replace him.

Hindsight again I suppose, but yes, a season too soon. Especially as he seems to be playing regularly (how many of our defenders can say they have a regular place). And Mickey has scored a couple of goals too. He would have been good to steady the defence and bring on the younger players. We miss him more than I thought we would.

And I certainly miss him! :wub:

i miss Micky very much, i wish we had the Micky Bell of 1998 right about now, he was the best Left Sided Midfielder i'v seen in my short time of watching City. Don't rememeber alot about Barnard but i can still rememeber my early years and seeing Micky putting in his crosses sweetly and accurately in the box and a few ending up a goal. Great Player

:city:

Mickey Bell is a god in Stoke. Vale fans love him. HE has been inspirational at the back for them this season and has steadied the ship in defence. Well done MIckey we miss you :crying:

Is that in Little Stoke or Stoke Gifford. (Sorry I couldn't resist it) :rofl2br:

• Admin

imagine the lynching Tinnion would have had on here if he had kept him.

Not from me, Mickey isn't the player he was 5 years ago, but making him the scapegoat of last years failure to get to the play-offs would be wrong. I would guess that money had a large part to do with the decision not to offer him a new contract, it was rumoured that he was one of the top earners, so unlikely to take a big paycut. ( I assume he's on less money at PV, but as a bosman he would have received a signing on fee).

Bell was sound enough at his peak but that was many moons ago, he'd long since stopped "affecting matches". Oh and one of his goals this season was a header against us which tells you more about our defence than anything.

The cupboard can't be so bare that you keep players on just because they are not night-clubbers can it?

• Admin

The cupboard can't be so bare that you keep players on just because they are not night-clubbers can it?

The cupboard isn't bare, but most of it's contents are 'spoiled goods', whereas Mickey was just about at his sell-by date, but I'm sure he would have affected games more than Woodman. Our Left back machine has certainly dried up, having been spoiled by, Martin Scott, Darren Barnard, Jim Brennan & Mickey Bell we now seem to be scratching around for someone to fill their boots.

The cupboard isn't bare, but most of it's contents are 'spoiled goods', whereas Mickey was just about at his sell-by date, but I'm sure he would have affected games more than Woodman. Our Left back machine has certainly dried up, having been spoiled by, Martin Scott, Darren Barnard, Jim Brennan & Mickey Bell we now seem to be scratching around for someone to fill their boots.

The left-back machine was called Tinnion - it was his ability to hold the ball in midfield that gave those players the time and confidence to make their forward runs onto a well-placed pass. In Bell's case, the number of sorties reduced season on season as his legs got older which is why I'm so surprised anyone thinks he could still be what he was in 1998.

Mickey being released was mainly due to the intention of Tinman to bring golborne through this season with woodman as back up, things went slightly off course though!

Am I right in thinking that Carey is our first choice left back now?

How many left footed players do we have in our squad? - Stewart, Golborne... um, heywood?

Si.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but imagine the lynching Tinnion would have had on here if he had kept him.

He kept Jamie Smith and he is a worse player in a position where we have more depth. I certianly wouldn't have lynched him as I would have liked him to stay. Having said that I did not think we would miss him as much as we have done and it is suprising that no suitable replacement was brought in. I suppose Tinnion thought that Goldbourne was the answer.

Guest Cherrypie

................ a season too soon?

Given our total lack of left sided ability and also that AFAIK Mickey was never one of the 'town crew' I'm sure he could have been of benefit to us this season.

Saw him at Bournemouth/Port Vale a couple of weeks ago and he was pants. My Mrs said "isn't that the donkey that used to play for you?" Nuff said my dear.

He kept Jamie Smith and he is a worse player in a position where we have more depth. I certianly wouldn't have lynched him as I would have liked him to stay. Having said that I did not think we would miss him as much as we have done and it is suprising that no suitable replacement was brought in. I suppose Tinnion thought that Goldbourne was the answer.

He would have been lynched purely because most on here was stating that Tinnion should get rid of him.

Everybody would have cried that he was part of Tinnion's "circle of mates" and lynched him from that perspective. So from that perspective I would say the Smith issue is a bit different.

In hindsight yes we got rid too early. However if we'd replaced him I might think different.

At the time I didn't think it was right to give him another year. And as people say the usual suspects on here would have massacred Tinnion for helping out his mate.

Nibor

Last season I stuck up for Mickey and said he's got plenty more to offer and I'd keep him.

The majority by far disagreed and said "he's too old" or "he's too fat and slow", "don't worry we've got Woodman and Goldbourne".

Now everyone suddenly says they wish he had stayed.

So fickle it's unbelivable.

I think it was a mistake selling him for a £100,000, we couldnt help that but there was a clause in his contract that he could leave for that amount. If he was still here we wouldnt have a problem. I do think we let bell go about half a season to soon, because that would have given us a chance of signing another left back while bell was playing. I think he left because many others did that they didnt think the manager was good enough to take this club foward and I think all the ones that left made the right choice.

Edit: Forgot to mention that tinnion didn't rate Hill highly that's why there was that clause

Bell did little last year to warrent a new contract. What should we have done, reward a 33 year old underachiever with a new contract, a new comfort zone ? I am still confused why J Smith recieved a new contract.

In any event Bell had a poor season ,is 33, and did not deserve a contract, nothing much else to add to that.

Bell did little last year to warrent a new contract. What should we have done, reward a 33 year old underachiever with a new contract, a new comfort zone ? I am still confused why J Smith recieved a new contract.

In any event Bell had a poor season ,is 33, and did not deserve a contract, nothing much else to add to that.

Other than, we could have ditched Woodman too and brought in a better left back to compete with young Golbourne.

Archived