IGNORED

Untitled

Milo

No doubt things will improve on the pitch, but round at the Ship and Castle all the talk in recent weeks has been about great City players of old. Bring back John Galley, they say. If only we still had David Rodgers.

It's extraordinary how vivid memories still are of those who wore the City shirt with pride.

Ironically, many great players from yesteryear will indeed be back at Ashton Gate this month. On Monday 28th November they will join with many other special guests in helping to launch the Bristol City Supporters Trust, a not-for-profit organisation that aims to raise funds for the club in return for shares, improve ties between the club and the community, and give fans a bigger say in the way the club is run.

The City legends who have so far confirmed their attendance are:

Jack Boxley (1950-56 and 1960-61),

Terry Bush (1960-70),

Louis Carey (1995-2004 and 2005 to present),

Paul Cheesley (1973-77)

Brian Clark (1960-66)

Don Clark (1937-51)

Jantzen Derrick (1960-71)

Alec Eisentrager (1949-58)

Chris Garland (1966-71 and 1976-83)

John Galley (1967-72)

Trevor Jacobs (1965-1973)

Andy Llewellyn (1984-94)

Sid Morgan (1947-58)

David Moyes * (1985-87)

Scott Murray (1997-2003 and 2004 to present)

Rob Newman (1981-1991)

Gary Owers (1994-98)

Glyn Riley (1982-87)

Tom Ritchie (1969-81 and 1982-84)

David Rodgers (1969-82)

Gerry Sweeney (1971-82)

Shaun Taylor (1996-2000)

Brian Tinnion (1993-2005)

Alan Walsh (1984-89)

Johnny Watkins (1951-59)

Bobby Williams (1958-65)

Jack White (1952-58)

*David Moyes is agreed pending confirmation

On the night, we'd like to present these players with a symbol of our respect and appreciation for their contribution to the club. We'd like this to include a "gift of memories" from the fans.

Which is where you come in.

Can you please, please, please put your writing caps on and jot down your memories of any of the great City players listed above? Your stories can help to make this a very special occasion. We'd like to use the best memories and anecdotes to introduce the players on the night with a view to collecting the memories in a presentation box and, ultimately, reprinting them in a City Legends book.

The "Parade of Legends" on Launch Night will include footage and slides of great moments in City's past and of the legends in attendance. As well as the former greats listed above, members of the current squad, manager Gary Johnson, and BCFC Chairman Steve Lansdown will be in attendance. A number of celebrity fans will also be there, including Robert Del Naja of Massive Attack.

Bristol City Supporters Trust Launch Night is FREE to enter for a maximum 900 people, on a first come, first served basis (except for those with formal invites). The launch is being held in the Dolman Exhibition Hall at Ashton Gate from 6.30 with speeches starting at 7.30.

It promises to be an unforgettable occasion, and one that can only be enhanced by a heartfelt gift of memories from the fans.

Please send your memories or anecdotes of any of the legends listed above to info@bristolcityst.org.uk, or to Bristol City Supporters Trust, Bristol City Football Club, Ashton Gate, Bristol BS3 2EJ, to reach us by 14th November at the latest or add your comments on threads set up on this forum. And keep an eye on the Supporters Trust website (www.bristolcityst.org.uk) in case more legends confirm their attendance.

Bumping back to the top...

Will put my thinking cap on tomorrow Milo, but can I just say well done to you and the team.

What an amazing list of past players.

With the likes of Moyes, Newman, Llewellyn and Cheesley set to attend - amongst the interesting return of Tinnion and the appearance of Carey - I am positive that this will be a night to remember.

You guys and gals can be very proud of yourselves.

Will put my thinking cap on tomorrow Milo, but can I just say well done to you and the team.

With the likes of Moyes, Newman, Llewellyn and Cheesley set to attend - amongst the interesting return of Tinnion and the appearance of Carey - I am positive that this will be a night to remember.

Thanks for your comments and for agreeing to send some memories in.

I agree that it's a great list of players. There's some really interesting ones in there too. Jack White for instance. When I heard Jack White was coming I thought "Great!! ... er... who's Jack White again?". And then I discovered that he is that last Bristol City player to captain a Bristol City team to a league title - 51 years ago!

For me, the Parade of Legends will be a chance to see some of my favourites, to be reminded on the screen about what they did, and also to learn a bit about our Club's history. I think it will be interesting, uplifting and inspiring.

I'm sure it's going to be a memorable evening - and entrance is FREE.

I will be there. With the list of legends in attendance it will be a night to remember.

Well worth a drive from Wigan!! :city:

Great stuff. We hope to pack the room and make it a great event. A packed Dolman Exhibition Hall with 900 fans should make quite a noise after a couple of beers at the bar when re-living and celebrating some of the great moments from our past.

As entry is FREE it's on a first come first served basis. The doorsafe staff will count people in to make sure we stick to the maximum safe limit. if you're travelling from Wigan, be sure to get there early. Or if you want to be guaranteed entry we're looking for supporters to volunteer to help set the room up...

No doubt things will improve on the pitch, but round at the Ship and Castle all the talk in recent weeks has been about great City players of old. Bring back John Galley, they say. If only we still had David Rodgers.

It's extraordinary how vivid memories still are of those who wore the City shirt with pride.

Ironically, many great players from yesteryear will indeed be back at Ashton Gate this month. On Monday 28th November they will join with many other special guests in helping to launch the Bristol City Supporters Trust, a not-for-profit organisation that aims to raise funds for the club in return for shares, improve ties between the club and the community, and give fans a bigger say in the way the club is run.

Terry Bush (1960-70),

Paul Cheesley (1973-77)

Brian Clark (1960-66)

Don Clark (1937-51)

John Galley (1967-72)

Andy Llewellyn (1984-94)

Sid Morgan (1947-58)

David Moyes * (1985-87)

Rob Newman (1981-1991)

Gary Owers (1994-98)

Glyn Riley (1982-87)

David Rodgers (1969-82)

Gerry Sweeney (1971-82)

Shaun Taylor (1996-2000)

Alan Walsh (1984-89)

Johnny Watkins (1951-59)

Bobby Williams (1958-65)

Jack White (1952-58)

On the night, we'd like to present these players with a symbol of our respect and appreciation for their contribution to the club. We'd like this to include a "gift of memories" from the fans.

Can you please, please, please put your writing caps on and jot down your memories of any of the great City players listed above? Your stories can help to make this a very special occasion. We'd like to use the best memories and anecdotes to introduce the players on the night with a view to collecting the memories in a presentation box and, ultimately, reprinting them in a City Legends book.

The "Parade of Legends" on Launch Night will include footage and slides of great moments in City's past and of the legends in attendance. As well as the former greats listed above, members of the current squad, manager Gary Johnson, and BCFC Chairman Steve Lansdown will be in attendance. A number of celebrity fans will also be there, including Robert Del Naja of Massive Attack.

Bristol City Supporters Trust Launch Night is FREE to enter for a maximum 900 people, on a first come, first served basis (except for those with formal invites). The launch is being held in the Dolman Exhibition Hall at Ashton Gate from 6.30 with speeches starting at 7.30.

It promises to be an unforgettable occasion, and one that can only be enhanced by a heartfelt gift of memories from the fans.

Please send your memories or anecdotes of any of the legends listed above to info@bristolcityst.org.uk, or to Bristol City Supporters Trust, Bristol City Football Club, Ashton Gate, Bristol BS3 2EJ, to reach us by 14th November at the latest or add your comments on threads set up on this forum. And keep an eye on the Supporters Trust website (www.bristolcityst.org.uk) in case more legends confirm their attendance.

GALLEY GALLEY GALLEY GALLEY, HE IS THE KING OF THE WEST COUNTRY

Terry Bush (1960-70),

Paul Cheesley (1973-77)

Brian Clark (1960-66)

Don Clark (1937-51)

John Galley (1967-72)

Andy Llewellyn (1984-94)

Sid Morgan (1947-58)

David Moyes * (1985-87)

Rob Newman (1981-1991)

Gary Owers (1994-98)

Glyn Riley (1982-87)

David Rodgers (1969-82)

Gerry Sweeney (1971-82)

Shaun Taylor (1996-2000)

Alan Walsh (1984-89)

Johnny Watkins (1951-59)

Bobby Williams (1958-65)

Jack White (1952-58)

there are so many memories it is difficult to know where to start :

1 We played the Gas at Eastville in the Glos Cup in the days when both clubs took the game seriously. We beat them 5-0 and nos 7 to 11 scored which I think were Skirton, Garland, Galley, Kellard and Derrick.

2. Again against the Gas when we played them in the Second Division for the first time in many years (they must have got promoted). Anyway the weather was terrible and it was blowing a gale from one end to the other. The Gas had the wind with them in the first half and went 1-0 up. As you can imagine the Tote End was jubilant. In the second half we knocked in four goals and put them back where they belonged.

3. Andy Llewellyn launching into two footed tackle which I think put Gerry Francis out the game on a stretcher

4. The 1986 Freight Rover final

5. Chris Garland will always be a legend for me. He was in the team that I first started to watch and then returned when we were in Div 1 to score vital goals in the run in against Leeds and Liverpool to keep us up

6. Galley was surely the best header of a ball we have had (OOh Shaun Taylor excepted)

7 Tom ritchie and David Hirst scoring against the Gas in the cup when we looked beaten

Those were the days !!!

John Galley inadvertently started an unfortunate trend at City.

He must be one of the few players in history to sign for a club with a leg in plaster. Subsequent managers have tried the same sort thing and signed a procession of crocks who have not made the impact that JG made.

3. Andy Llewellyn launching into two footed tackle which I think put Gerry Francis out the game on a stretcher

thats really nice isnt it?

Tinnion, was asked to sign a birthday card for my brother as it would make his day. Instead he took it in and got the whole squad to sign it. True gent, and this was for a gashead!

thats all i can add, but fair play to you lot, and perhaps you should have a bucket on the door for 'donations' if everyone put a pound in thats £900 which is nothing to sneeze at!

Shaun Taylor was my favourite City player of all time, no nonsence centre back, i cried when i heard about his injury against Watford, i didn't realise how serious it was until it was announced. If he wernt injured, we'd have won the league and wouldn't have gone down the season after.

I can remember a J. Galley volley from a corner kick he was on the edge of the area and it went straight in the top corner; :o goalie didnt even see it :clap::clap::clap: cant remember who it was against, quite a few years back :farmer:

thats really nice isnt it?

Tinnion, was asked to sign a birthday card for my brother as it would make his day. Instead he took it in and got the whole squad to sign it. True gent, and this was for a gashead!

thats all i can add, but fair play to you lot, and perhaps you should have a bucket on the door for 'donations' if everyone put a pound in thats £900 which is nothing to sneeze at!

Nice it was great ! Ranks alongside your players running from our fans and by mistake going up the wrong tunnel. Nothing personal obviously

That's a really very impressive list - well done on securing all these greats.

Just a thought - any possibility of trying to attract any more of the Ashton Gate Eight to whom this club owes its existence? It may be hard to track down the likes of Julian Marshall or Peter Aitken these days, perhaps?

Thanks for the note - I have spoken to Peter and have dropped him a line so await his response. If you know how to get hold of Julian (or anyone does) then that'd be grand!

Rob Newman crashing home a volley to equalise in a 1-1 draw at Orient in 1990 which put one foot in the Second Divison. Singing "Champione, Champione, Ole Ole Ole" for ages after the game. At that point top flight football seemed within reach.

Admittedly we then pfaffed around for several gamesin true Bristol City style after that before Scott Taylor of Reading confirmed promotion!

Oh and Alan Walsh's shot against Forest in the dying moments of the 1989 League Cup S/F second leg which would have put City through to Wembley had Steve Hodge not cleared off the line. That image will stay with me until my dying day. It seems incredible now, City were that close to a real Wembley final.

:city:

Rob Newman crashing home a volley to equalise in a 1-1 draw at Orient in 1990 which put one foot in the Second Divison. Singing "Champione, Champione, Ole Ole Ole" for ages after the game. At that point top flight football seemed within reach.

Admittedly we then pfaffed around for several gamesin true Bristol City style after that before Scott Taylor of Reading confirmed promotion!

Oh and Alan Walsh's shot against Forest in the dying moments of the 1989 League Cup S/F second leg which would have put City through to Wembley had Steve Hodge not cleared off the line. That image will stay with me until my dying day. It seems incredible now, City were that close to a real Wembley final.

I remember both of those games, the Orient game was played in sunshine with City in their yellow and green. Cracking goal by Newman. And Walsh's shot cannoned off the legs of the keeper who frankly didn't have a clue where it had gone. One false move and City would have been at Wembley.

Wonderful times..... may there be many more. :city:

Guest weaselfeatures

Shaun Taylor was my favourite City player of all time, no nonsence centre back, i cried when i heard about his injury against Watford, i didn't realise how serious it was until it was announced. If he wernt injured, we'd have won the league and wouldn't have gone down the season after.

What a pity he is not available now

What a pity John Atyeo is not around to be there

jack boxley

jack boxley wrote himself in to the history books when he scored Bristol city's

first ever goal in the football league cup. A fast, clever winger, he found the

net in a 1-1 draw with Aldershot on 10th october 1960. Born at cradley, birmingham,

on 31st may 1931, he played local football and represented the worcestershire youth

FA before coming to the notice of of city manager, pat beasley, during 1950-51,

when he was playing for stourbridge. Such was the competition for his services that

the robins had to pay the non-league club £2,000 to secure his signature in october

1950. Boxley overcame a serious leg injury sustained in 1951-52, and fought back to

become a virtual ever-present for three seasons, winning the third division south

championship medal in the process. In december 1956, he joined coventry city in a double

transfer involving jimmy rodgers. Boxley scored 17 goals in 90 league appearences for

the highfield road club before returning to Bristol city in August 1960.

He played for one more season before retiring from league football.

Terry Bush

Terry Bush was a versatile player who divided his time between wing-half and the foward line

and who scored some spectacular goals for Bristol city, some of them quite remarkable efforts

from 35 yards out. He certainly gave the supporters good value for their addmission money,

both in terms of hard work and commitment, and sheer entertainment. Bush was born at Ingoldisthorpe,

norfolk, on 29th january 1943, and he was a junior at Ashton gate before signing professional

forms in February 1960. Bush was a regular in the city first team during the mid-1960's, and a

member of the side promoted to division two in 1964-65, but his career was eventually cut short

by a diseased knee. Like don clark before him, Bush joined the staff of Bristol city fc when his

playing days had ended and he became the club's assistant secertary.

Paul Cheesley

Paul Cheesley renowned for his heading ability, burley striker Cheesley formed a notable partnership

with tom ritchie in Bristol city's 1975-76 promotion campaign. Born locally, he signed professional

from Norwich city in october 1971 and gained first division experience before moving to Ashton gate

for £30,000 in December 1973 - initially struggling to secure a first team place. He netted citys

first goal back in the top flight to clinch a 1-0 win at Arsenal in August 1976 but a knee injury

sustained against Stoke city three days later effectively ended his career after scoring 20 times

in 64 league outings. He went on to have stints at shepton mallett, frome town, odd down and yeovil

town before hanging his boots up for good.

Paul can now be regulary seen at Ashton gate as a match day host.

Brian Clark

Brian Clark the son of former city hero don clark, Brian Clark turned in to a goalscoring hero in his

own right, a dedicated professional who had a magnificent career with six different clubs. Bristol-born,

on 13th january 1943, he played for Bristol boys while at Bristol technical school of engineering.

Signing professional forms for city in march 1960, he made his debut at the same time as rodger peters -

in tommy burden's farewell match against Brentford at the end of the season 1960-61.

Clark soon formed an effective inside-trio alongside john atyeo and bobby 'shadow' williams, and

many third division defences suffered in the early 1960's. Clark hit 12 goals in the first eight games

of the 1964-65 season, and city were on course for the 2nd division; and his goal in the final game,

against Oldham, capped a tremendous season. Two seasons later, goals were temporarily less easy to come

by and he moved to Huddersfield. City recived £2,500 plus johnny quigley. Eighteen months later clark went

to cardiff, where he formed a feared partnership with john toshack. The goals continued to come, for

Bournemouth, Millwall, Cardiff again and Newport county. It says a lot for his fitness that he appeared

in more that 600 football league games, scoring 217 goals, and was five times ever-present, including

three seasons for Bristol city. In Only a Game, Eamon Dunphy wrote of brian clark when he arrived at

Millwall: ''He is a much respected player in the second division. He has been around a lot of clubs:

Huddersfield, Bristol city, Bournemouth, and always does a good honest job. Very skilled, good in the air.

He is the kind of pro other pro's respect and like.

Don Clark

Don Clark's lasting place in Bristol city's history was assured when he topped the list of Third Division

South goalscorers in 1946-47. His 36 league goals still stand as the most in a season by a Bristol city player.

In all games he scored 42 times that season, in only 41 games. Born in Bristol on 25th october 1917, Don Clark

attended north Bristol central school where he played rugby as a centre-three-quater. After leaving school he

turned to football. From North Bristol old boys he joined Bristol city as a wing-half. Towards the end of the war,

manager Bob hewison converted him to centre-foward with great success. In four-seasons period (1944 to 1948) he

scored 128 goals in 156 games for Bristol city in all competitions. But in february 1949 he suffered a serious

knee injury. By the time he recovered from an operation he was almost 32 and 'so say' past his best. He became

assistant secretary at Ashton gate, staying untill 1956.

Jantzen Derrick

Jantzen Derrick a fast, skillfull winger, was the youngest (at the time) player ever to appear in a league game for Bristol city when he turned out against Plymouth argyle on 28th December 1959, at the age of 16 years and 355 days. Derrick was the stat of England schoolboys team and was a target for several first division clubs but decided to join his local team. He served city well, yet he was an enigmatic character and, despite his impressive array of skills, he sometimes appeared to lack the motivation neccessary for success at the very top. That meant that his talents were not always reflected by his play. After 12 seasons at Ashton gate, Derrick went on loan to Mansfield town in march 1971 but only made two league appearences for the stags before returning to Bristol city. He managed only one appearence in 1970-71 and was not retained for the following season when hejoined the french league club, Paris St-Germain.

Alous ''Alec'' Eisentrager

Alous Eisentrager was a german prisoner-of-war who remained in Britain after his release and played football

for Trowbridge town before signing for Bristol city in the close season of 1949. He was an extremely clever

ball-player and made an immediate impact with four goals in only his fith league game for city, against

newport county on 3rd september 1949. Eisentrager-known as 'Alec' to city players and supporters - was born

in Germany on 20th july 1927. He settled down well in England and became a great favourite at Ashton gate,

and a regular member of the team. His career 'dipped' slightly after he earned himself a regular place and

he managed only ten league games when the Robins won the Third division south title in 1954-55. The following

season, however, as City returned to the Second division, this clever foward was a regular choice.

He was transferred to Merthyr tydfil in july 1958. He still lives in Bristol.

Chris Garland

the well built fair-haired Chris Garland cut a striking figure, and as a striker he figured often.

He had three spells with city, during which time he appeared in all four divisions of the league.

Garland was first signed as an apprentice in May 1966, and Alan dicks introduced him to the first team.

Garland struck up an understanding with john galley and soon was attracting the attention of first division

scouts. In 1970, he was capped for England under-23 side, coming on as substitute early in the game against

Bulgaria. In september 1971, Garland moved to Chelsea for a fee of £100,000, and in the same month Chelsea

paid £170,000 for steve kember, suggesting Garland would be destined for good service and a few medals.

Six months later he was playing at wembley in the league cup final which Chelsea lost 2-1 to Stoke.

In 1975, Garland moved to Leicester city and regained his scoring touch - eight goals in ten games.

Leicester stayed up. Chelsea went down. In December 1976, the prodigal son returned to Bristol city in

the first division and they needed a striker of first division class. A fee of £110,000 was paid to Leicester.

Again he helped keep a team in the first division. Five goals in the last seven games of the season sent the

fans wild with delight. They included the winner against Leeds and two against Liverpool. A knee injury

restricted his apperarences the following season, but he stayed with the club during the financial crisis

of the early 1980's, untill his contract was cancelled in february 1982, along with seven others.

However, Garland spent a third spell with city, on a match-by-match basis, helping in the difficult

fourth division days of 1982-83.

John Galley

John Galley was onced described by alan dicks as his best-ever signing, John Galley was an inelegant

but effective goal scorer. Strong in the air, ungainly but deceptive on the ground, Galley's record

for Bristol city was admirable for his team were battling relegation for most of his stay at Ashton gate.

Born at clowne, derbyshire, on 7th may 1944 he played for wolverhampton wandereres and rotherham united

before dicks' £25,000 offer lured the millmoor club into parting with him. His debut for city came in

December 1967, when he scored all three goals in a 3-0 win at Huddersfield. A replacement for hughie

mcllmoyle, his goals undoubtedly saved city from relegation in 1967-68 - and probably saved dick's his

job. He left Ashton gate in December 1972, signed for £30,000 by dave mackay of Nottingham forest.

From there he moved to Peterborough united and then to Hereford united, where he dropped back to

centre-half. With hereford he won a third division championship medal.

Trevor Jacobs

Trevor Jacobs a popular right-back partnered Alec briggs and Brian drysdale while at Ashton gate.

Signing professional from apprentice under Fred ford in july 1965, he had the misfortune to score

an own goal on his league debut at rotherham united in november 1966 and displaced Tony ford -

featuring in the 1970 - 71 league cup semi-final and netting three goals in 131 second division

outings. Following a loan spell at Plymouth argyle, he moved accross to Bristol rovers on a free

transfer in may 1973 and was ever present in the 1973-74 promotion success. Subsequently with

Bideford, Paulton rovers and Clevedon town, he was a publican at the 'horseshoe inn' in shepton

mallett, then the Baccy jar in Whitchurch.

Andy Llewellyn

Long-serving former England youth right-back Andy Llewellyn was ever present in Bristol city's

1989-90 promotion success. Born locally, he attended the chase school, mangotsfield and Terry

cooper gave him his league debut at rochdale in december 1982 just five months after joining city

as an apprentice. Partnering the likes of Rob newman, Brian williams, john bailey and Martin scott,

he played in the 1987 freight rover trophy final at wembley and the 1987-88 promotion play off's,

also featuring in the FA cup wins over Chelsea in 1989-90 and Liverpool in 1993-94. Voted 'player

of the year' in 1990-91, he scored three times in 313 league outings prior to joining Terry coopers

Exeter city on loan in march 1994 and has since played for yeovil town, bishop sutton and weston-super-mare.

Sid Morgan

Goal keeper Sid Morgan gave Bristol city loyal service for over ten years at Ashton gate.

Born locally, this former royal marine was discovered playing on the downs for works team

AG Farmer & Sons and signed by Bob hewison in December 1947. Given his league debut at Torquay

united in march 1949, he provided reliable cover for the likes of Franck clack, Frank coombs,

Con sullivan, Tony cook and Bob anderson. He made 71 Third division south appearences before

following his assistant manager jimmy seed to Millwall in march 1958 and later played for

Sailsbury in the western league, the assisted Arnold rodgers at welton rovers and Bath city.

David Moyes

Popular ex-scottish youth central-defender David moyes featured prominently as Bristol city

contested two successive freight rover trophy finals and was a wembley winner in 1986.

He developed with Celtic under youth team boss jimmy lumsden, featuring in the 1981-82

scottish league title success and gaining European cup experience. Moving to Cambridge united

in october 1983, Terry cooper paid £10,000 for him two years later and he became captin,

netting six goals in 83 Third division outings before following Brian williams to Shrewsbury

town for £25,000 in October 1987. Ever present in 1989-90, he moved to Dunfermaline in july

1990 and was top scorer in 1991-92. Briefly with Hamilton academicals, he joined Preston NE

in september 1993 and starred in their 1995-96 third division title success, he later went on to

become manager of preston and then on to be manager of premiership club Everton.

Rob Newman

Rob Newman, a tall, talented and wholehearted player, came in to league football due to the crisis

which threatened the club's very existence in 1982. He made he debut in the match immediatly after

the departure of the 'ashton gate eight' and helped beleagured city draw 0-0 with Fulham on 6th february

1982. His ability to adapt to almost any position made him especially useful and had earned him

over 200 first team appearences even before his 24th birthday. In 1987, with age on his side, it seemed

that if he remained at Ashton gate, Newman might eventually surpass john atyeo's club record.

The real danger to that record appeared to be that threat that Newman would attract offers from bigger

clubs, for his recent form has been particulary impressive and the goal he scored against Newport county

at Ashton gate in march 1987 bought the house down. He was born at Bradford-on-avon in wiltshire on 13th

December 1963 and comes from a sporting family - in 1986-87 his brother was playing for Warminster town

in the western league - and represented wiltshire boys and played in sunday football before joining city in

1981. In 1986-87 after an outstanding season he was voted 'player of the season'.

Gary Owers

A versatile midfielder Gary Owers was ever-present as Bristol city reached the second division play off's

in 1996-97. An ex-sunderland apprentice, he signed professional in october 1986 and starred in sunderlands

1987-88 third division title success under Dennis smith. He helped to beat rivals Newcastle united in the

1990 second division play-off's and appeared at wembley when sunderland were promoted after swindon town

were punished for financial irregularities. Ever present in the top flight in 1990-91, he returned to wembley

as right-back in the 1992 FA cup final and joe jordan signed him as part of the £450,000 exchange deal that

took martin scott to roker park in December 1994.

Glyn Riley

Popular striker Glyn Riley was twice top scorer at Bristol city including 1983-84 promotion campaign.

He signed professional from apprentice for Barnsley in july 1976 and starred in the rise from the fourth

division to the second as well as a successive cup runs under Norman hunter. Following a loan spell at

Doncaster rovers, Terry cooper signed him on a free transfer in August 1982 and he was player of the year

in 1982-83. Forming a prolific goal scoring partnership with Alan walsh, he scored twice at wembley in

citys 1986 freight rover trophy final win and grabbed the equaliser in the 1987 final. He netted 61 goals

in 199 league outings before joining Aldershot for £15,000 in october 1987 after being loaned to Torquay

united, then helped Bath city to regain conference status in 1989-90.

Tom Ritchie

City signed Edinburgh born striker Tom ritchie from Bridgend thistle in july 1969 and he proved a

popular player during his two spells with the club in the next 15 years. A lean but solidly-built

front runner, Ritchie, who was born on 2nd january 1952, scored important goals when city returned

to the first division, and his haul of 18 goals made him top scorer in the promotion winning season.

Transferred to sunderland in january 1981, he helped keep the wearsiders in the first division.

After staying 18 months in the north - including two months on loan to promotion winning Carlisle

united - Ritchie returned to Ashton gate. He played two more excellent seasons before a surprise

move to yeovil town. He lives in clevedon and is employed as a postman. His younger brother steve,

a scotland schoolboys international, was an apprentice at Bristol city. After one league game he left

for morton, where he became a regular at left-back.

David Rodgers

Ex-England schoolboy central defender, David Rodgers gave Bristol city loyal service over 13 years

at Ashton gate. Born locally, the son of Arnold rodgers, he signed professional under Alan dicks

in july 1969 and scored on his first team debut in the league cup replay win over Leicester city

in november 1970. Partnering Geoff merrick in central defence, he featured in the 1973-74 FA cup

run and regained his place from Gary collier in the first division. He netted 15 goals in 192

league outings before the 'Ashton gate eight' crisis forced his release in february 1982, then

played for Torquay united, Lincon city and Forest green rovers. Briefly groundsman at Bristol

grammer school, since january 1985 he has worked at clifton collage and is now general manager.

Gerry Sweeney

Given a free transfer by his first club, celtic, then transferred to Bristol city for £22,000,

Gerry Sweeney's value continued to increase as he contributed so much to the club. In a ten-year

period from August 1971, Sweeney appeared in all but 32 of 478 league and cup games. For modern

day football it was a supreme example of resilience and commitment from the glaswegian.

Added to that, Gerry sweeney had played 139 times for morton, scoring 16 goals. A skillful

defender and midfielder, Sweeney took city's penalties for a two year period in the mid 70's

- untill he missed one against west ham. He is remembered for the goal at west brom in match

1976 which earned city a famous 1-0 victory. Sweeney, who played for the scottish league against

the irish league while at morton, moved to york city in february 1982, being one of the 'Ashton

gate eight'. During the 1984-85 season he became manager of western league Clevedon town, but was

dissmissed the following season. On 1st August he was appointed assistant manager of Walsall in

the wake of millionaire-busnessman terry ramsdens take over of the club. Sweeney has also been

a coach/assistant and caretaker manager at Bristol city.

Alan Walsh

There is little doubt that Bristol city enjoyed the better of the bargin deal when they signed

striker Alan Walsh from Darlington in the close season 0f 1984. The clubs could not agree a fee

and eventually a football league tribunal set a price tag 0f £18,000 on walsh's signature.

Darlington no doubt had reason to feel aggrieved that a player who had scored 100 goals for them

in 278 games in three major competitions should be priced so cheaply. Indeed, despite his apparently

casual approach, Walsh has since underlined what a bargin Bristol city had bought. He began his

career at Ashton gate by maintaining his scoring record and city had every reason to be pleased with

him. His shooting is both hard and accurate and he scord some fine goals from dead ball kicks.

Many feel that if he adopted a more foward role then his strke rate would have been even higher.

His long ball passing has added another dimention to his play and therefore to city's team.

Walsh was born in Hartlepool on 9th December 1956 and started his league career with middlesborough

for whom he has made three substitute appearences before moving to Darlington.

Alan Walsh is now on the coaching staff at Bristol city.

jack white

Constructive center half jack white skippered Bristol city to the third division

(south) title in 1954/55 when he was ever-present. A former miner, he played for Broadworth

main and Frickley Colliery before turning professional with Aldershot in july 1944. Pat Beasley

paid a record £5,300 for him in october 1952 and he dis-placed long serving Dennis roberts in

the heart of citys defence along side Ernie peacock. He scored 11 goals in 216 league outings

prior to joining Cambridge city as player manager for three years in April 1958, then went on

to manage Wellington town. Subsequently a service engineer for Harry dolman's firm based in Tonbridge,

then for Tonbridge Printers. he returned to Doncaster in 1978 and was a labourer at Thorpe marsh power

station untill retiring in March 1989. Now living in Tonbridge (at time of book going to press)

his younger brother Len was a goal scoring hero at Newcastle united

Johnny Watkins

An explosive left-winger Johnny Watkins made his league debut for Bristol city in particulary memerable

circumstances. On 30th september 1953 he was waiting to travel with the reserve team to southampton when

he was told that he would instead be playing for the first team against Norwich at Ashton gate that afternoon.

Despite his surprise call up, Watkins played well and held his place for the next match. although he would

perhaps prefer to forget that 5-0 defeat by Swindon. He was born in Bristol on 9th April 1933 and played in

an England schools trial at Stockport before signing for city in 1951. In his earliest days at Ashton gate

he won four England youth caps but after those two league games in 1953-54 he had to wait untill 1956-57

for his next appearence. Thereafter he was a regular and played a significant part in the famous FA cup

fith round game against Bristol rovers in february 1958 when he opened the scoring with a rare headed goal

but then missed a penalty just before half time as Rovers went on to win 4-3. In the close season of 1959

he was sold to cardiff city for £2,500 but city manager peter doherty probably regretted the decision to

sell Watkins who went on to star in cardiffs second division promotion side in 1959-60. He returned to

Bristol in 1961-62 and played 23 league games for Bristol rovers before turning out for Bath city and

Welton rovers to bring his career to a close. He still lives in Bristol and plays cricket for stoke

bishop club where he has been a member for 30 years.

Bobby Williams

skillful inside left Bobby "Shadow" Williams formed a notable partnership with John Atyeo in

Bristol City`s attack. Born in Bristol , he signed professional from amatuer under manager Peter

Doherty in May 1958 and made his league debut against Leyton Orient at Ashton Gate eleven months

later. He scored 76 goals in 187 outings and played a big part in City`s 1964/65 promotion to the old

second division. He moved to Rotherham United in February 1965 for £10,000, and from there he

moved to Bristol Rovers in March 1967. He moved to Reading in August 1969, then went on to play

for ASO Ostend in Belgium, Cheltenhan Town, and Weymouth before he was nearly killed in a car

crash in 1972. In a vain comeback attempt with Keynsham Town, he rejoined Reading as youth team

manager.

Mike Gibson

Mike Gibson was probably the best goal keeper to have played for Bristol city and for eight seasons

in the 1960's he reigned supreme as the robins' first choice in that position. Gibson was born in

Derby on 15th july 1939 and played non-league football for Gresley rovers and Nuneaton Borough before

Shrewsbury town signed him in march 1960. Gibson made 76 third division appearances in three seasons

at gay meadow before he was transfered to city in April 1963. His early form was disappointing but after

he replaced Tony cook for the fourth game of 1963-64, the former England youth international never looked

back. His form over the next eight years was exceptional and he rarely missed a game. Had he had been taller

- he stood 5ft 9in - then he might have attracted the big clubs and his career may have taken him to greater

things, for he had exceptional talent. Certainly Bristol city were fortunate to enjoy his skills for so long.

In july 1972, gibson moved to gillingham and played 80 league games for them before retiring at the end of

1973-74. He returned to Bristol where he now works as a postman and has been part time reserve manager and

has also been a goal keeping coach at city, coaching steve phillips. Gibson also runs the gym at Ashton gate.

Geoff Merrick

An inspirational captin and indestructable defender, Geoff Merrick, who was born in Bristol on 29th April

1951, was a key figure in the most glorious days of Bristol city's history - the first division era of the

late 1970's. Merrick's career ran in parallel with Alan dicks' managerial success. Captin of Bristol boys

and England boys, he played five schoolboy internationals at wing half. He was an associate schoolboy at

city, then an apprentice, signing full time professional forms in August 1968, a few months after his 17th

birthday. At the age of 20 he was captaining Bristol city. He had overcome early injury problems, established

himself as a regular, and he led out the team at Blackpool in january 1972 - the first of many such occasions.

In fact, one wonders whether any other players can match his appearances as captain. He led by example,

lunging in to crucial tackles, never wanting to give the ball away when he had it, always in the thick of

the action. In the 1976-77 season he moved back to left back to accomodate Norman hunter. After a run of

seven seasons during which he was rarely injured, he suffered a severe set back in 1978. A pelvic strain

kept him out for all the next season. His career with city was eventually cut short by the 'Ashton gate

eight' crisis, when he was one of eight players on long term contracts who accepted reduced redundancy

money to help keep the club alive. He played for Carolina Hills in Hong Kong, and for Bristol rovers

reserves and Minehead.

John Atyeo

England youth international John Atyeo had already played first division football when he joined Bristol city

in june 1951, having appeared twice for portsmouth whilst still an amateur. A product of the wiltshire club,

westbury, he signed for Bristol city as a part timer only on the understanding that he could finish his

studies to become a surveyor. He went on to become one of the greatest names in the club's history and his

596 league games and 314 goals are a club record which will probably never be broken. Atyeo played for city

for 15 seasons - he became a full time professional after qualifying as a surveyor before reverting to part

time status to train as a teacher - and won six England caps between 1955 and 1957. Inevitably he became

the target of more so called glamorous clubs, notably Liverpool and Chelsea but he was always happy to

remain at Ashton gate. He was a tall, strong player who was difficult to disposses, and for a big man he had

surprising amount of skill. City's leading league scorer in 11 of his 15 seasons, he was the most prolific

scorer in the history of the FA until Denis law over took his record. Atyeo was a member of city's third

division south championship side of 1954-55 and the team which finished runners-up in division three in

1964-65. On 16th march 1957, he scored what is still Bristol city's fastest goal, netting after only nine

seconds against Bury. When he retired in 1966 he could look back on a career which had never seen him

cautioned by a referee. He was born at Dilton marsh, wiltshire, on 7th february 1932 and went on to be head

of mathematics at warminster school.

john sadly died of an heart attack on 8th June 1993 in Warminster, Wilts.

Keith Waugh

Experienced goal keeper Keith Waugh was 'player of the year' as Bristol city reached the littlewoods cup

semi-finals in 1988-89. A former sunderland apprentice, he signed professional in july 1974 and moved to

peterborough united on a free transfer in july 1976 where he was twice ever-present. Sold to Sheffield

united fot £90,000 in August 1981, he starred in their rise from the fourth division to the second before

Terry cooper signed him in july 1985 after a loan spell. Virtually ever-present as city reached two successive

Freight rover trophy finals and the promotion play off's in 1987-88, he made 171 third division apperances

over all prior to joining john sillett's Coventry city for £40,000 in August 1989, then Watford in February

1991. He is now a police constable stationed in Luton.

Gordon Parr

Uncompromising defender Gordon Parr gave Bristol city marvellous service over 15 years at Ashton gate.

Born In Bristol on 6th december 1938, he did his national service in the royal air.

He captained Bristol boys and was an England schools trialist. He signed professional

for city in February 1957 and Pat beasley gave him his league debut at home to middlesborough ten

months later but he did not secure a regular first team slot untill 1962-63. Featuring in city's

1964-65 promotion campaign, he helped reach the FA cup fith round in two consecutive seasons and the

league cup semi-finals in 1970-71. He was ever present in 1968-69, scoring four goals in 287 league

games before joining Irish league champions Waterford on a free transfer in july 1972 and playing in

the European cup. He went on to play for Minehead, he still lives in Abbots leigh and is a self employed

electrition.

Guest stackpoolred

Mike Gibson

Mike Gibson was probably the best goal keeper to have played for Bristol city and for eight seasons

in the 1960's he reigned supreme as the robins' first choice in that position. Gibson was born in

Derby on 15th july 1939 and played non-league football for Gresley rovers and Nuneaton Borough before

Shrewsbury town signed him in march 1960. Gibson made 76 third division appearances in three seasons

at gay meadow before he was transfered to city in April 1963. His early form was disappointing but after

he replaced Tony cook for the fourth game of 1963-64, the former England youth international never looked

back. His form over the next eight years was exceptional and he rarely missed a game. Had he had been taller

- he stood 5ft 9in - then he might have attracted the big clubs and his career may have taken him to greater

things, for he had exceptional talent. Certainly Bristol city were fortunate to enjoy his skills for so long.

In july 1972, gibson moved to gillingham and played 80 league games for them before retiring at the end of

1973-74. He returned to Bristol where he now works as a postman and has been part time reserve manager and

has also been a goal keeping coach at city, coaching steve phillips. Gibson also runs the gym at Ashton gate.

Geoff Merrick

An inspirational captin and indestructable defender, Geoff Merrick, who was born in Bristol on 29th April

1951, was a key figure in the most glorious days of Bristol city's history - the first division era of the

late 1970's. Merrick's career ran in parallel with Alan dicks' managerial success. Captin of Bristol boys

and England boys, he played five schoolboy internationals at wing half. He was an associate schoolboy at

city, then an apprentice, signing full time professional forms in August 1968, a few months after his 17th

birthday. At the age of 20 he was captaining Bristol city. He had overcome early injury problems, established

himself as a regular, and he led out the team at Blackpool in january 1972 - the first of many such occasions.

In fact, one wonders whether any other players can match his appearances as captain. He led by example,

lunging in to crucial tackles, never wanting to give the ball away when he had it, always in the thick of

the action. In the 1976-77 season he moved back to left back to accomodate Norman hunter. After a run of

seven seasons during which he was rarely injured, he suffered a severe set back in 1978. A pelvic strain

kept him out for all the next season. His career with city was eventually cut short by the 'Ashton gate

eight' crisis, when he was one of eight players on long term contracts who accepted reduced redundancy

money to help keep the club alive. He played for Carolina Hills in Hong Kong, and for Bristol rovers

reserves and Minehead.

John Atyeo

England youth international John Atyeo had already played first division football when he joined Bristol city

in june 1951, having appeared twice for portsmouth whilst still an amateur. A product of the wiltshire club,

westbury, he signed for Bristol city as a part timer only on the understanding that he could finish his

studies to become a surveyor. He went on to become one of the greatest names in the club's history and his

596 league games and 314 goals are a club record which will probably never be broken. Atyeo played for city

for 15 seasons - he became a full time professional after qualifying as a surveyor before reverting to part

time status to train as a teacher - and won six England caps between 1955 and 1957. Inevitably he became

the target of more so called glamorous clubs, notably Liverpool and Chelsea but he was always happy to

remain at Ashton gate. He was a tall, strong player who was difficult to disposses, and for a big man he had

surprising amount of skill. City's leading league scorer in 11 of his 15 seasons, he was the most prolific

scorer in the history of the FA until Denis law over took his record. Atyeo was a member of city's third

division south championship side of 1954-55 and the team which finished runners-up in division three in

1964-65. On 16th march 1957, he scored what is still Bristol city's fastest goal, netting after only nine

seconds against Bury. When he retired in 1966 he could look back on a career which had never seen him

cautioned by a referee. He was born at Dilton marsh, wiltshire, on 7th february 1932 and went on to be head

of mathematics at warminster school.

john sadly died of an heart attack on 8th June 1993 in Warminster, Wilts.

Keith Waugh

Experienced goal keeper Keith Waugh was 'player of the year' as Bristol city reached the littlewoods cup

semi-finals in 1988-89. A former sunderland apprentice, he signed professional in july 1974 and moved to

peterborough united on a free transfer in july 1976 where he was twice ever-present. Sold to Sheffield

united fot £90,000 in August 1981, he starred in their rise from the fourth division to the second before

Terry cooper signed him in july 1985 after a loan spell. Virtually ever-present as city reached two successive

Freight rover trophy finals and the promotion play off's in 1987-88, he made 171 third division apperances

over all prior to joining john sillett's Coventry city for £40,000 in August 1989, then Watford in February

1991. He is now a police constable stationed in Luton.

Gordon Parr

Uncompromising defender Gordon Parr gave Bristol city marvellous service over 15 years at Ashton gate.

Born In Bristol on 6th december 1938, he did his national service in the royal air.

He captained Bristol boys and was an England schools trialist. He signed professional

for city in February 1957 and Pat beasley gave him his league debut at home to middlesborough ten

months later but he did not secure a regular first team slot untill 1962-63. Featuring in city's

1964-65 promotion campaign, he helped reach the FA cup fith round in two consecutive seasons and the

league cup semi-finals in 1970-71. He was ever present in 1968-69, scoring four goals in 287 league

games before joining Irish league champions Waterford on a free transfer in july 1972 and playing in

the European cup. He went on to play for Minehead, he still lives in Abbots leigh and is a self employed

electrition.

Archived