IGNORED

What's The Difference?

Bristol Boy

Sorry to sound critical in advance of a local derby, but can someone please tell me the difference between the quality of the loan players coming in and going out?

Loan players should significantly improve the TEAM not the squad or the bench.

Players like Robert Fleck, Joe Jordan, Michael Robins, Les Wilson, Brian Hill, Tommy Black, Brian Burrows, David Howells & Andy Cole, have all made a big difference and turned draws into wins and defeats into draws.

In all honesty, I can't see Youga & Sankofa playing at centre back in a two and I'll withold judgement on Youga until he's played home & away at LB/LWB.

Simply put, unless they're in a three man central defence "sweeping" behind Heywood & Partridge, they won't keep us up, never mind get us up.

Is Youga far better than Scott Golbourne as a LWB, at present?

Are either far better than Keogh & Fortune at centre back?

I don't think so and the record certainly confirms that.......not that I'm saying that any of the four are the answer, certainly not together, in a two man central defence.

Is Quinn offering more than Stewart up front in terms of goal threat and has he significantly improved our team? I know he can stand in for Brooker as a target man and, given some time, could link well with Brooker, but it's not certain by a long chalk and is he the best there is available?

I think not.

The Right Back we've signed from Hull is a wait and see situation and I can't comment until I've seen him play.Sounds quite quick, an organiser and a solid experienced defender, all of which we desparately need.

So far it's Woodman, Harley, Keogh & Fortune on loan and I think that Keogh is the only one with a future at AG under GJ.Gillespie will follow & Madjo's three month contract won't be renewed.

I'm convinced that there will be some permanent transfers in the January window and that GJ will try to build the side around Phillips (who could be a transfer target) Heywood, Russell & Brooker (Another Target?).

If we're going to persist with 4-4-2 and Joseph & Youga are the full backs, then we'll need two wide midfield players.

Sounds like Stewart & Bridges will move on, so that's two more strikers in through the revolving door that mirrors Pulis's reign :(

NEVER DULL HERE, IS IT :doh:

Sorry to sound critical in advance of a local derby, but can someone please tell me the difference between the quality of the loan players coming in and going out?

Loan players should significantly improve the TEAM not the squad or the bench.

Players like Robert Fleck, Joe Jordan, Michael Robins, Les Wilson, Brian Hill, Tommy Black, Brian Burrows, David Howells & Andy Cole, have all made a big difference and turned draws into wins and defeats into draws. Tommy Black? Did he really make a difference? The lad from Palace? Are you sure?

In all honesty, I can't see Youga & Sankofa playing at centre back in a two and I'll withold judgement on Youga until he's played home & away at LB/LWB.

Simply put, unless they're in a three man central defence "sweeping" behind Heywood & Partridge, they won't keep us up, never mind get us up. But as Heywood has been injury prone recenlty GJ needs cover

Is Youga far better than Scott Golbourne as a LWB, at present? We don't know, as you said we'll have to withhold judgement

Are either far better than Keogh & Fortune at centre back? I'm led to believe that Sankofa can head the ball so i'd say yes he is better than Fortune.

As for Keogh he hasn't played so can't comment

I don't think so and the record certainly confirms that.......not that I'm saying that any of the four are the answer, certainly not together, in a two man central defence. I disagree Sankofa is a decent player. Yes we have lost but what can you do its' a vicious circle. And what is wrong with a 2 man central defence?

Is Quinn offering more than Stewart up front in terms of goal threat and has he significantly improved our team? I know he can stand in for Brooker as a target man and, given some time, could link well with Brooker, but it's not certain by a long chalk and is he the best there is available? I think his goals to game ratio is better than Stewarts!

I think not.

The Right Back we've signed from Hull is a wait and see situation and I can't comment until I've seen him play.Sounds quite quick, an organiser and a solid experienced defender, all of which we desparately need. Why did he talk fast?

So far it's Woodman, Harley, Keogh & Fortune on loan and I think that Keogh is the only one with a future at AG under GJ.Gillespie will follow & Madjo's three month contract won't be renewed.

I'm convinced that there will be some permanent transfers in the January window and that GJ will try to build the side around Phillips (who could be a transfer target) Heywood, Russell & Brooker (Another Target?).

If we're going to persist with 4-4-2 and Joseph & Youga are the full backs, then we'll need two wide midfield players. Whats' wrong with 4-4-2? Well Tinnion wasn't a wide left player but did a blinding job for us there. Same with Wilkshire for a short while under Tinnion

Sounds like Stewart & Bridges will move on, so that's two more strikers in through the revolving door that mirrors Pulis's reign :(

No Tony Pullis signed Carl Hutchings, GJ has got to find someone really bad be able to top that.

NEVER DULL HERE, IS IT :doh:

Youga to me looks stronger than any other left back we have, Golbourne doesn't look like a defender to me.

Sankofa is a neat and intelligent player but I think at this level would be better at right back or on the right side of a central 3. I can't see him getting in the starting XI when Heywood is back if we're 442.

Quinn isn't better than either Stewart or Brooker but can stand in as the target man.

The guy we have from Hull is a centre half by trade, only played right back for them as cover. Hull don't seem to think alot of him but I guess we won't know until he's played.

We're limited by what's available.

There may be more to this than pure footballing reasons (like bringing in players with the right attitude and hoping it'll rub off).

None of the players we've loaned out will be missed right now and only Keogh will play a part in the future.

I think you're right about Madjo, I hope Gillespie stays as he looks promising but I think that'll only happen if one of Stewart or Bridges moves on.

I imagine getting someone in on loan who is capable of bossing the midfield is a pretty tall order since that type of player is rare... maybe in the window? But where's the bloody left winger we all know we need, or will Golbourne be tried there?

Nibor

Guest redphilc

Youga to me looks stronger than any other left back we have, Golbourne doesn't look like a defender to me.

Sankofa is a neat and intelligent player but I think at this level would be better at right back or on the right side of a central 3. I can't see him getting in the starting XI when Heywood is back if we're 442.

I imagine getting someone in on loan who is capable of bossing the midfield is a pretty tall order since that type of player is rare... maybe in the window? But where's the bloody left winger we all know we need, or will Golbourne be tried there?

Nibor

I might be wrong but I assumed Sankofa has been given a second month to play as a right back?

Youga LB

Sankofa RB

Heywood CB

Partridge/Joseph CB

I heard we were about to sign a promising left winger but it fell through. Fingers crossed GJ gets one of his targets soon and a midfield holding man as well.

On a different point: -

I see the Evil Post has been trying to stir things up with the two seperate articles over the last few days about how Stewart and Bridges are desperate to make a mark in this division. I think they are just trying to sell papers personally. ALthough I would be interested in seeing a Brooker/Bridges partnership up front and give Bridges the chance to show us what he can do?

I imagine getting someone in on loan who is capable of bossing the midfield is a pretty tall order since that type of player is rare...

Sorry Nibor, l normally agree with EVERYTHING you say!!! But wasn't Tommy Doc that bossing midfielder?

Any chance of getting him back on loan now he's learnt his lesson.....

I imagine getting someone in on loan who is capable of bossing the midfield is a pretty tall order since that type of player is rare...

Sorry Nibor, l normally agree with EVERYTHING you say!!! But wasn't Tommy Doc that bossing midfielder?

Any chance of getting him back on loan now he's learnt his lesson.....

When you say he's learned his lesson how do you mean? Has he stopped getting sent off, or been able to complete 90 minutes regularly yet?

Besides, even if he were willing to take a cut from his current 7 grand a week (probably would be since he spends most of his time in Bristol still and didn't want to leave) would Hollowhead really let us have him back?

I don't think it's going to be easy to find the type of midfeld general we need on loan. I reckon it'll either have to be Alex Russell or bust, unless SL gets his cheque book out in the transfer window.

Nibor

I might be wrong but I assumed Sankofa has been given a second month to play as a right back?

Youga LB

Sankofa RB

Heywood CB

Partridge/Joseph CB

I heard we were about to sign a promising left winger but it fell through. Fingers crossed GJ gets one of his targets soon and a midfield holding man as well.

On a different point: -

I see the Evil Post has been trying to stir things up with the two seperate articles over the last few days about how Stewart and Bridges are desperate to make a mark in this division. I think they are just trying to sell papers personally. ALthough I would be interested in seeing a Brooker/Bridges partnership up front and give Bridges the chance to show us what he can do?

If we were in the championship I think Sankofa would be a great right back or right wing back. At this level I think Orr is probably more effective since he's stronger and better in the air (he's not a better footballer but how much does that really matter?).

I think the Evil Post are a bunch of bitter sagheads who are incapable of getting anything right unless they copy it down word for word from a real news service.

I reckon most of this rubbish about Bridges and Stewart is just media pap, give either of them a run in the team with something approaching the description "service" and they'd score alot.

Nibor

I thought we looked better at left back at the weekend, and the darting runs forward were the only injection of pace and urgency for most of the matches. Did he improve the team? Yes, in my opinion.

Sankofa hasn't really done that as CB, but then he was brought in when we had injury problems and served a purpose.

Quinn has impressed me with his workrate and his ability to bring others into the game. But we need goal scorers. I agree with what GJ mentioned - there are times when we've been on top in games, but we've failed to take our chances and then been punished for it.

GJ hasn't really had that long to bring in people. For me, the acid test will be the January transfer window. It can't come soon enough for me. Then we will learn what GJ is made of and what sort of football he wants us to play.

Red Not Blue on your points:

Nothing wrong with 4-4-2, providing you've got the right players, which we haven't.P6 L6 Kinda proves that! :(

Keogh did OK for me when he played and we didn't leak any more goals than when Sankofa or Partridge have played there.

Wilkshire did well AT HOME wide on the left, until teams sussed the tactic.

Look at Quinns career goals against Stewart and the ratio's not even better for City on a few games.

Tommy Black looked a class player until he returned to Palace-Don't be pedantic about one signing.The overall point is that GJ' s loans have improved nothing, so far.

There may be more to this than pure footballing reasons (like bringing in players with the right attitude and hoping it'll rub off).

Nibor

I can only assume this is the key to GJ's wheeling and dealing. You can have all the skill in the world, but what we need now is players with the right attitude to go with the skill, and an end to the underperforming comfy culture that has permeated this club for so long. Johnson is continuing the process started by Tinnion. I suspect things might get a whole lot messier before they get better, but if he needs to lob a few more hand grenades, then good luck to him.

I thought we looked better at left back at the weekend, and the darting runs forward were the only injection of pace and urgency for most of the matches. Did he improve the team? Yes, in my opinion.

Sankofa hasn't really done that as CB, but then he was brought in when we had injury problems and served a purpose.

One good game so far, against Barnsley and I can't understand why we haven't given him a go at RB or given Keogh a run at CB.

Quinn has impressed me with his workrate and his ability to bring others into the game. But we need goal scorers. I agree with what GJ mentioned - there are times when we've been on top in games, but we've failed to take our chances and then been punished for it.

Down, principaly to strikers at this level and we can't just rely on Brooker.

GJ hasn't really had that long to bring in people. For me, the acid test will be the January transfer window. It can't come soon enough for me. Then we will learn what GJ is made of and what sort of football he wants us to play.

Amen to that but it's starting to look like a bring and buy sale :(

Guest Harry Dolman

I think Johnson is different to our recent managers in that he seems to be a bit of a "wheeler dealer" - when he was at Yeovil he seemed to get a load of players in (from all corners of the globe) - some worked, others didn't.

I do wonder if we are planning to play 3 centre backs on Friday - would think you could perm a decent 3 from Partridge, Heywood, Joesph & Sankofa ???

I think Sankofa has done ok (but we do seem to have dragged him down to our level!). I don't think he looks comfortable enough on the ball for right back/RWB. Most teams, even at this level have only 1 "monster" (ala Wayne Allison) upfront - if Heywood takes that guy I think Sankofa is fine with the smaller nippy guy.

I do wonder if we are planning to play 3 centre backs on Friday - would think you could perm a decent 3 from Partridge, Heywood, Joesph & Sankofa ???

Three centre backs!!

By jove I think he's got it :dance:

As I keep saying, 4-4-2 doesn't work without two good wide players AND a passing midfielder who can give them the ball.Subject to Russell being the passer, we need two wide players, particularly a left winger to succeed playing 4-4-2 and that's assuming Youga & Joseph are the full backs :(

You need pace to play with 3 centerbacks because they have more space to cover. I don't think we have that pace at the back to be honest.

I don't think we have the players to play in wing-back roles either. These roles require exceptional positional awareness combined with stamina and pace. They also have to be good enough on the ball to interlink with the midfield and forwards. Murray isn't good enough defensively, and the full-backs are neither good enough on the ball nor good enough going forward.

I agree that 4-4-2 isn't working, but I would rather see Johnson work to bring in players that will work in this system because it is one that the players know, and it is one that Johnson has used throughout his managerial career.

Archived