IGNORED

For God Sake Cheer Up!

Stedge

Guest pentlandsl

We're only 10 points off the play-offs! :laugh:

Optomists only please. :ph34r:

On current form it may as well be 100 points.

I see nothing whatsoever to cheerup about at Ashton Gate - a crap team, a board that sees supporters just as an inconvenient cash cow and the only light at the end of the tunnel being the express train of oblivion hurtling towards us.

I've given up after 27 years and have now started taking my kids to watch a variety of non-league/ Cheltenham matches and will shortly be introducing them to the oval ball in Bristol and Bath as well. At least they are getting some entertainment now. My love affair with City is over. Hopefully not but probably for good.

will shortly be introducing them to the oval ball in Bristol and Bath as well. At least they are getting some entertainment now. My love affair with City is over. Hopefully not but probably for good.

If you are converting (no pun) your kids to rugby then make it Bath not Bristol - otherwise you may be making the same mistake again :dance: (waits for a torrent of abuse to come his way :whistle: )

I see nothing whatsoever to cheerup about at Ashton Gate - a crap team, a board that sees supporters just as an inconvenient cash cow and the only light at the end of the tunnel being the express train of oblivion hurtling towards us.

I've given up after 27 years and have now started taking my kids to watch a variety of non-league/ Cheltenham matches and will shortly be introducing them to the oval ball in Bristol and Bath as well. At least they are getting some entertainment now. My love affair with City is over. Hopefully not but probably for good.

bye bye

Cheers then don't bother coming back :city::city::city:

What a drama queen! Why don't you sell your story to the Evening Post? Actually best not as you know full well that if we win our next 2 games you'll be straight back down the Gate.

Rugby? City may be crap at the moment but i'd never inflict that on my children.

You're going to have alot of time on your hands now you've stopped supporting City, seeing as 3 out of your 5 favourite passtimes appear to have been Bristol City F.C. :whistle:

Guest Harry Dolman

Rugby? City may be crap at the moment but i'd never inflict that on my children.

You're going to have alot of time on your hands now you've stopped supporting City, seeing as 3 out of your 5 favourite passtimes appear to have been Bristol City F.C. :whistle:

I never understand this "thats it I'm turning my back on the club" mentality - by definition a true fan stays with their team through thick & thin - you have to go through the bad times to REALLY appreciate the good times. A football club is like your family, they may pee you off at times (maybe a lot of the time), but you don't just change them for something else.

I never understand this "thats it I'm turning my back on the club" mentality - by definition a true fan stays with their team through thick & thin - you have to go through the bad times to REALLY appreciate the good times. A football club is like your family, they may pee you off at times (maybe a lot of the time), but you don't just change them for something else.

Agree 100%. Anyone who goes to rubgy over football regardless of our position is mad.

Indeed, i think that explains some poster's responses when fans state they are giving up on the club.

If i told my son i was stopping supporting City "because we're crap", i think i'd plummet in his estimation for jumping ship when the going got tough.

Next to promotion battles relegation fights are the next best thing anyway. As long as they are successful....

I've no doubt at all that going through all the disappointments, as well as occasional highpoints, of following City is character building for a youngster. When Roberts stuck in the winner against Hartlepool he was ecstatic and on a high for days afterwards. It's lucky none of his friends saw him at the Millennium because he was inconsolable.

I doubt if he's ever as happy at any other time than that moment when City have just scored. Would he get that fantastic high watching a non-league club with no emotional attachment, or at the Rugby? No chance, he feels it because he loves City.

I've brought him up from day one to be a City fan. If i said i was thinking of taking him to watch Rugby (it'll never happen ) i know the response i'd get:

" You go and watch the Rugby, Dad, MY team are playing at home and i'm going down the Gate."

Guest paulton rovers red

all i will say is remember crystal palace,they were v near bottom of championship when dowie took over then they got promoted,

knowing city as i do it wouldnt surprise me if that happend to us this season johnson will get more players in january and a play off push in the new year.

and if the worse does happen at least we will get a local derby next year!!!!

no need to panic

"your in safe hands,with johnsons"

Guest pentlandsl

What a drama queen! Why don't you sell your story to the Evening Post? Actually best not as you know full well that if we win our next 2 games you'll be straight back down the Gate.

No I won't. Nothing is going to get me back to Ashton gate. As for drama Queen - note the number of years I've been watching City - that included all of the matches, home and away, in the relegation years from 1st to 4th - I've been to away matches where there were less than 50 City fans, midweek in pouring rain. None of that was as bad as now. City have forgotten what a football club is about - it isn't about scrrewing as much as possible from the fans regardless, it isn't about relying on a herd of mindless sheep to turn up week after week no matter how poor the football or how little the players care about playing for the club it is about providing entertainment for fans at a reasonable price in decent, honest facilities with a team that gives 100%

The trouble is City are acting like a premiership club/business without being a premiership club/business. They think that no matter what they do or how much they disenfranchise their fan base, people will continue to turn up week after week, bury their heads in the sand, not complain about the dire performances on the pitch, continue to pay over the odds for food/beverages which quite frankly isn't fit for swine and shoddy merchandise that doesn't last more than a couple of matches.

And the problem is there is a hard-core of fans who are so blinkered they WON'Tsee they are being ripped off, both financially and morally, and corporately laughed at by the board and management et al, they actually ENJOY being ripped off and abused and see themselves as some kind of martyrs to the City cause - well I'm no longer one of them. It's no longer a cause worth being a martyr for.

If you just stop and think about what the club do to you, what reward you get for giving up so much of your money and time (time being the more precious commodity lost) and actually sit down and think what else you could be doing on a Saturday with the money you spend on City then you may just start to see just how much your club is failing you.

I'm expecting one of three replies to this -

(1) you are not a 'true supporter' and should **** off or some such similar abuse from the martyr contingent mentioned above. (the 10-18 year olds)

(2) I understand what you are saying but, like any other addiction, I can't give up the City. (the 18-30 year olds)

(3) Oh my God, you are right, what the hell have I been doing this season (only by the over 30s!)

What great responses from Taunton and mozo, just sums up the ignorance and head in sand mentality that a large number of fans suffer from.

It's no more than I expected from the kids.

Indeed, i think that explains some poster's responses when fans state they are giving up on the club.

If i told my son i was stopping supporting City "because we're crap", i think i'd plummet in his estimation for jumping ship when the going got tough.

Next to promotion battles relegation fights are the next best thing anyway. As long as they are successful....

I've no doubt at all that going through all the disappointments, as well as occasional highpoints, of following City is character building for a youngster. When Roberts stuck in the winner against Hartlepool he was ecstatic and on a high for days afterwards. It's lucky none of his friends saw him at the Millennium because he was inconsolable.

I doubt if he's ever as happy at any other time than that moment when City have just scored. Would he get that fantastic high watching a non-league club with no emotional attachment, or at the Rugby? No chance, he feels it because he loves City.

I've brought him up from day one to be a City fan. If i said i was thinking of taking him to watch Rugby (it'll never happen ) i know the response i'd get:

" You go and watch the Rugby, Dad, MY team are playing at home and i'm going down the Gate."

Forunately my son is more open in his thinking and less blinkered in his approach to new experiences - he is enjoying watching non-league football, Cheltenham and Bristol RFC. I suspect this is because I didn't brainwash him down one avenue of sport only.

I have also stated that I won't pay to watch City again this season, the board have succesfully driven me away by over pricing the admission fee to watch dire entertainment from half arsed rich kids.

No more shall I be suckered into spending my hard earned, I will be one of those that sits in a bar telling people every week that I'm a City fan but never go and watch them, If It's good enough for the Moan Utd fans then it's good enough for me.

Lower the price to £15 tops and I will return, the club will lose in the long term with these disgusting prices!

(1) you are not a 'true supporter' and should **** off or some such similar abuse from the martyr contingent mentioned above. (the 10-18 year olds)

(2) I understand what you are saying but, like any other addiction, I can't give up the City. (the 18-30 year olds)

(3) Oh my God, you are right, what the hell have I been doing this season (only by the over 30s!)

Well I fall into category number 2, but this is my response:

What do you expect?

The fans are paying the price for the failure to get back into tier 2 of English football since we were last there in 1999. The blame for that can lie at the doors of many people - several chairmen, managers, players etc

It's not sustainable for BCFC to keep on like it is. The prices have been increased and all avenues of increasing revenue explored because BCFC is a BUSINESS!

Everyone gets ripped off in this day and age no matter what form of entertainment. Some bands charge £20 to go see them and play a 45 minute set...a decent quality pair of trainers cost £60+. You could go watch a film on Saturday for a fiver but the film might be rubbish - tough break!

It's the way football's going, it's the way this world is going I'm afraid.

It's no more than I expected from the kids.

Forunately my son is more open in his thinking and less blinkered in his approach to new experiences - he is enjoying watching non-league football, Cheltenham and Bristol RFC. I suspect this is because I didn't brainwash him down one avenue of sport only.

I'm 26 thanks mate not quite a 'kid'. To be honest I gave you a facetious reply ("bye bye") because I didn't think your message was worth wasting many more words on - particularly now that you're a rugby fan and won't, I presume, waste your time on the forum of such a deplorable team as ours.

If you're finished with the club I'm not going to persuade you to come back. If you don't like the fact that I can see a positive future at Ashton Gate and you can't, well my friend that's your own problem.

By the way, there are plenty of over 30s that aren't turning their backs on the club. I have a lot of respect for their commitment.

I'm sure you're a perfectly nice person, but I disagree with you on this one.

Guest Ronmeister

Pent, good on you for sticking up for what you believe in. I don't think it's the right thing to do, but I think that showing your support by not coming is if anything a harder thing to do, respect to you.

Well you couldn't be more wrong, my son is neither blinkered nor brainwashed.

He enjoys playing all sports, particularly football and cricket but others as diverse as table-tennis, badminton, pitch and putt and snooker all of which i introduced to him and play with him.

The exception is Rugby, where because he is average size, he is battered by overgrown, muscle bound, unskilled hulks of his own age to such an extent that any enjoyment has been literally hammered out of him.

If i must in your opinion shoulder the "blame" for making him a City fanatic, i'll also take the credit for instilling in him an enthusiasm for a huge variety of sports and for the countless hours i've spent, and still spend, teaching and playing sports with him.

When it comes to watching though, Bristol City F.C. is his passion and, despite another very disappointing season, he is more than happy to be a committed fan.

Far from brainwashing him, i'm extremely content in the knowledge i've given him a very broad upbringing when it comes to appreciating and taking part in sport in all it's forms. You seem to be assuming he has very little brain and cannot think for himself which couldn't be further from the truth.

I don't see his passion for City, and all the ups and downs that go with it, to be anything but beneficial and i'm in no doubt whatsoever it enhances our father/son relationship to have such a strong and continuing mutual interest.

Why do you lot always moan. Ashton Gate is like a library, the only time people raise their voices it is against the team or the ref. We need to give the team vocal support, not keep moaning at them.

i agree with you.

come on, i know we lost 6 games running but theres still a chance city can pull together and make the playoffs. i dunno if ime being to philosophical or dreaming :)

but i think we could pull it off possibly!

Guest pentlandsl

Well I fall into category number 2, but this is my response:

What do you expect?

The fans are paying the price for the failure to get back into tier 2 of English football since we were last there in 1999. The blame for that can lie at the doors of many people - several chairmen, managers, players etc

It's not sustainable for BCFC to keep on like it is. The prices have been increased and all avenues of increasing revenue explored because BCFC is a BUSINESS!

Everyone gets ripped off in this day and age no matter what form of entertainment. Some bands charge £20 to go see them and play a 45 minute set...a decent quality pair of trainers cost £60+. You could go watch a film on Saturday for a fiver but the film might be rubbish - tough break!

It's the way football's going, it's the way this world is going I'm afraid.

Regretably so, but only because so many people just shrug their shoulders and accept it. In a supply and demand economy, the price for anything is the amount people are prepared to pay. If a majority reject a product because it is too dear at, say, £20 then the price will come down to entice those customers back. If everyone accepts the price is £20 then that is what is charged.

This is my last post on this forum. On the whole, whilst there are quite a few people who are prepared to debate points in a constructive manner, there are far too many others who just come on here to abuse anyone who has a different opinion from theirs.

For all of your sakes I hope the City stay up and do well in the future.

Archived