IGNORED

next_year_I_hope

i was only 8 at the time so i don't remember it that well... but was the feeling like it is now where it is a us(supporters) and them (management) cause the way i see it is decisions are being made by the select view to look after the select view that can afford these seats/boxes that are being built and s0d the rest of us.

i was only 8 at the time so i don't remember it that well... but was the feeling like it is now where it is a us(supporters) and them (management) cause the way i see it is decisions are being made by the select view to look after the select view that can afford these seats/boxes that are being built and s0d the rest of us.

NO, We were all in it together in 82, a real sense of togetherness back then. We had got as LOW as we could and it was a case of fighting back. We had some great days even though at times the team were bad. The players gave it there all then and ( i believe) played for the club and not so much for the money.

NO, We were all in it together in 82, a real sense of togetherness back then. We had got as LOW as we could and it was a case of fighting back. We had some great days even though at times the team were bad. The players gave it there all then and ( i believe) played for the club and not so much for the money.

indeed. i must have been to more bargain basement grounds during Terry Cooper's tenure than i have been to in all the time since. Passion comes to mind, bags of it. I remember Newman when he was a knobbly knee teenager but did he half get stuck in. i think that kind of devotion is lacking in all football today simply because the contract is too much in the player's favour AND they get paid far too much.

Guest North Street

So different to now as we all seemed to be pulling in the same direction to ensure the survival of the club.

I raised money for BCFC and virtually dragged people down to the gate [support Bristol city now or never!]

in 82 but now i feel that my support is taken for granted. Supporters seem to be viewed as an inconvinience [Williams/G block/East End] and some of the views i hear from fans with a long history of City are worrying.

In 82 i knew why i was going but now i am starting to really struggle to justify why i still go and it is not down to the results :(

Iagree, everyone was pulling together in 1982

we didn't know if there would be a Bristol City

to support for much longer'so everyone did

all they could to help. I remember travelling

to Newport with lots of people saying it could

be Citys last away game.Thankfully the Ashton

Gate Eight tore up their contracts (couldn't

imagine that happening now).Then there was

the following home game with a team full of

young kids some making their debuts.They

gave their all there was a great atmosphere,

and we ended up drawing 0-0 with Fulham.

Also remember Terry Cooper and his wife

selling tickets for a cup game.Happy days.

Guest Fred Fjord

There's no doubt the City faithful rallied round in 82...and made the average home attendance for that season, 4695....which admittedly was 600 more than STFC who finished 8 places higher, but slightly less than Port Vale.

Guest North Street

I went to both games mate and look back to those games as being amongst my best memories of following City. I still have the fulham programme all one page of it. :)

Sadly those days have gone and there are times when i feel the club are taking me for a mug but i keep coming back as slippers and gogglebox is not what i do.

Guest DrFaustus

There's no doubt the City faithful rallied round in 82...and made the average home attendance for that season, 4695....which admittedly was 600 more than STFC who finished 8 places higher, but slightly less than Port Vale.

So what? Football attendances were in freefall then as we (fans) were treated like dirt by the authorities. City nearly went bust and I am proud to say that I'm glad they didn't. Those that stood by their club need to be applauded not mocked by a fan of one of the most meaningless clubs in existence.

Fair ****s to the City faithful from that time, fair shout to the Gate 8 and who honestly cares about Swindon other than Swindon and Oxford fans?

Regards

PeedoffPirate.

After the setting up of BCFC 1982 the spirit at the club was incredible. As fans we had seen the club doing ok in the top flight until three succesive relegations saw us in the basement league and we were, by October, at the very bottom the league. It was hard to believe what was happening but, after the club came close to folding at the end of the 1981/82 season we felt "lucky" to have a club left to support.

How did we actually get into such a sorry state? Basically we had a team of underperforming "stars" who were all on "premiership" or "championship" wages that the club could not afford to keep. Because of our plight we had sold any player who had any transfer market value often at cut down prices.

So after selling the likes of Gow, Ritchie, Whitehead, Mabbutt, and Fitzpatrick since leaving the top flight the Football League were now instructing us to sell any saleable player, so we had to get rid of Mick Harford (who we hadn't even paid Newcastle for) and Swedish International keeper Jan Moller.

So in terms of footballers we had sold all our assets - but we still had to get rid of 8 players who were bleeding the club because of their high wages and long contracts (no other club wanted them) - yet we were languishing in the relegation zone of what is now League 1 and playing rubbish football. And, by the way we had a bright young manager, by the name of Roy Hodgson who, despite his success thoughout Europe in later years, was not able to save us from relegation.

Does this all sound starkly familiar?

There is a good deal of romanticising of the Ashton 8, and of course no one likes to see players, some of whom had been heroes to us only a few years earlier, being told to "rip up your contract or the Club will be out of business". And I desparateley hope that history doesn't repeat itself - but what if we are in this position in April? But the truth is that the 8 were being paid over the top money but not producing the goods on the pitch - I don't think that a present day Ashton 8 would get the same sympathy if it were to happen any time now.

Lets just hope that GJ can turn this mess around - I'm sure that he can.

After the setting up of BCFC 1982 the spirit at the club was incredible. As fans we had seen the club doing ok in the top flight until three succesive relegations saw us in the basement league and we were, by October, at the very bottom the league. It was hard to believe what was happening but, after the club came close to folding at the end of the 1981/82 season we felt "lucky" to have a club left to support.

How did we actually get into such a sorry state? Basically we had a team of underperforming "stars" who were all on "premiership" or "championship" wages that the club could not afford to keep. Because of our plight we had sold any player who had any transfer market value often at cut down prices.

So after selling the likes of Gow, Ritchie, Whitehead, Mabbutt, and Fitzpatrick since leaving the top flight the Football League were now instructing us to sell any saleable player, so we had to get rid of Mick Harford (who we hadn't even paid Newcastle for) and Swedish International keeper Jan Moller.

So in terms of footballers we had sold all our assets - but we still had to get rid of 8 players who were bleeding the club because of their high wages and long contracts (no other club wanted them) - yet we were languishing in the relegation zone of what is now League 1 and playing rubbish football. And, by the way we had a bright young manager, by the name of Roy Hodgson who, despite his success thoughout Europe in later years, was not able to save us from relegation.

There is a good deal of romanticising of the Ashton 8, and of course no one likes to see players, some of whom had been heroes to us only a few years earlier, being told to "rip up your contract or the Club will be out of business". And I desparateley hope that history doesn't repeat itself - but what if we are in this position in April? But the truth is that the 8 were being paid over the top money but not producing the goods on the pitch - I don't think that a present day Ashton 8 would get the same sympathy if it were to happen any time now.

Year 2005 maybe 1982 revisited ?

A brilliant post from Old Dazzler and the way I remember the situation back in 1982. With the present drinking and fighting culture at BCFC this club's current underforming players would get absolutely no sympathy from me were the 1982 scenario repeated.

I have to agree with the atmosphere in those games. The fulham match was fantastic. we fielded 3 16 year olds and were expected to get beaten easily, but they fought for everything, every challenge was cheered and everyone sang their hearts out. The final whistle was greeted with huge cheers, not something normally associated with a nil nil !!

One thing very noticeable in those days, was there wasn't any of this "we're a big club" rubbish, that only started creeping in in the latter part of the eighties. People were just happy we still had a club and were determined that we were going to get back to the top. Unfortunately that spirit seeped away as the crowds got bigger over the years, and there is a vastly different feeling around now, which really concerns me, as we don't seem to have the same heart or togetherness needed for the battles ahead!!!

Unfortunately that spirit seeped away as the crowds got bigger over the years, and there is a vastly different feeling around now, which really concerns me, as we don't seem to have the same heart or togetherness needed for the battles ahead!!!

Some fans are pulling together hence 'the supporter's trust' and other various campaigns to help us reclaim our club from self-serving plutocrats such as Colin Sexstone & Co.

Reclaim the East End, reclaim the Dolman, reclaim the Williams, reclaim our club !!!!!!! could be the slogan to take us forward.

This thread is doing me no good at all, dragging me down Memory Lane, and getting me in agreement with Old Spot.

I had just lost money via my business to the old club, lost my few shares I owned, stumped up some more money for new shares, but the spirit about the place was amazing.

Please don't let us forget Des Williams in all this, the man was a hero, and if they ever try to change the name of that stand my support will finally fade away.

I'm not one for sour grapes but in 1982 a lot of City fans (including my family and friends) put money into BCFC 1982, bought shares and helped keep football at Ashton Gate. There has been no official thank you from the club for the efforts of many people who did so much at that time.

Years later a share floatation was marked by these Johnnny-come-latelys being immortalised by name in the Williams stand.

When will Bristol City remember and acknowledge the huge debt of gratitude owed to the players and fans of 1982, without whom there might be no club today? :city:

I'm not one for sour grapes but in 1982 a lot of City fans (including my family and friends) put money into BCFC 1982, bought shares and helped keep football at Ashton Gate. There has been no official thank you from the club for the efforts of many people who did so much at that time.

Years later a share floatation was marked by these Johnnny-come-latelys being immortalised by name in the Williams stand.

When will Bristol City remember and acknowledge the huge debt of gratitude owed to the players and fans of 1982, without whom there might be no club today? :city:

But i would like to know would the payers have given so much, when they look at the club today?

But i would like to know would the payers have given so much, when they look at the club today?

Maybe not, but in my view that's because football today is soulless. It's a money generating business with fans being taken for granted at most clubs.

As I indicated in my post above, if the over-paid under-achieving players, known as the Ashton 8, had given more on the pitch they wouldn't have have ended up in that situation.

You have to remember that of the Ahston 8, six were on contracts that they had negotiated whilst playing in the top flight, the other two were on "Championship" money. So why were in the relegation zone of League 1?

As I indicated in my post above, if the over-paid under-achieving players, known as the Ashton 8, had given more on the pitch they wouldn't have have ended up in that situation.

You have to remember that of the Ahston 8, six were on contracts that they had negotiated whilst playing in the top flight, the other two were on "Championship" money. So why were in the relegation zone of League 1?

I can't think of a sharp answer to that. There was certainly a mood of "acceptance" by the fans at the time. Whichever way you look at it, eight players had contracts which they tore up in order for this club to survive. A selfless act which would be difficult to imagine 20 odd years later. To the best of my knowledge this club has never compensated those players - even when times were better! Like a number of others, I shovelled cash into this club in 1982 - and beyond. I followed City all over the country, bought replica shirts, argued the toss with the local Liverpool "fans", went eyeball to eyeball with the local Gastards, spent many mid week games frustrated and freezing cold, the whole affair cost me a marriage - she believed I loved City more than her and all the thanks I got from City was a kick in the ******** and a horse poo sandwich. No wonder I so rarely turn up these days!

Just thought I'd bring back my take on the Ashton 8 situation back into the fray.

I remember 82, and had it not been for the Ashton Gate 8, we'd be someplace in the Screwfix or whatever it is these days.

If any of our *quality* squad are reading this, think on, the players then did something for the club, not like most of you parasites. PRIDE IN THE SHIRT, REMEMBER THAT??????????

Please note, Board members we all pulled together back then, not like now is it? We love our club, but do you?

And why the hell the supporters trust should have to initiate anything to commemorate the 8, beats hell out of me...shame on everybody at BCFC 1982, shame on you!!

Archived