IGNORED

National Anthems To Be Baned At Footy Matches

Never to the dark side

Maybe a good idea considering both sets of fans abuse each others anthems

It happened at JJB Stadium at the Great britain v Australia international at the beginning of the month. The Australian fans were fine, but the morons booing and whistling through the Australian anthem was disgraceful.

I'm glad they don't bother playing anthems before European ties any more. What would be the point of Chelski or L'Arsenal singing "God save the Queen"?

It happened at JJB Stadium at the Great britain v Australia rugby league international at the beginning of the month. The Australian fans were fine, but the morons booing and whistling through the Australian anthem was disgraceful.

I'm glad they don't bother playing anthems before European ties any more. What would be the point of Chelski or L'Arsenal singing "God save the Queen"?

It happened at JJB Stadium at the Great britain v Australia international at the beginning of the month. The Australian fans were fine, but the morons booing and whistling through the Australian anthem was disgraceful.

That was clever... how did I do that? :dunno:

Sounds like the 'PC' brigade strike again!! :@ :@

All anthems should be played. Players are playing for their countrys and their countrys have national anthems along with national flags :englandsmile4wf: . What are they going to do next ban the St george flag from England internationals next?

All anthems should be played. Players are playing for their countrys and their countrys have national anthems along with national flags :englandsmile4wf: . What are they going to do next ban the St george flag from England internationals next?

Yep, agreed. But fans should respect them too. And (as a group) we don't, so it's hard for us fans to collectively take the moral high ground on this one and accuse the powers that be of spoiling it when we've done a pretty good job of that ourselves.

I agree. Keep the anthems, just do a bit of "self policing" in the stadium. If some moron starts booing or jeering, tell him or her to pack in it. Nothing sets up an international player for a game more than to have the p taken out of their national flag or anthem.

Guest North Street

It only ever seems to be ENGLISH fans

at abuse anthems to me

Sorry as someone who attends England games away and at home you can add the Scots, Southern Irish, Welsh,Argentinians [last week], Poles, Slovaks, Croats, Hungarians, Bulgarians, Germans & Italians. Speaking from experience the Swedes, Danes, french, Finns, Norwegians, Swiss, Albanians, Macedonians & Dutch do not boo our anthem but may take exception to others. :dance:

Everyone in the stadiums should be eqquiped with axes, so they can hit people who are disrespectful.

Problem Solved ^_^

No need to thank me

A brilliant alternative to the penalty shoot out, just count the number of supporters still standing. highest number wins.

Guest Ronmeister

A brilliant alternative to the penalty shoot out, just count the number of supporters still standing. highest number wins.

Why don't they just do that at all our home matches, don't bother playing, just count the number of supporters left at the final whistle?

Oh wait we'd lose every time :pinch:

• Admin

Heard an interesting point I think it was on one of the SKY TV phone in's where someone suggested that instead of playing National Anthems, there was one standard tune played before a game whilst the players are stood there.

This is taken on at Champions league games, anyone that has been to a Champions league game will tell you that when this tune starts the atmosphere rises so maybe it is time to move on...

• Admin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/4459532.stm

Blatter suggests dropping anthems

Blatter wants teams to shake hands after each game

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has suggested national anthems should be scrapped before international games.

Blatter was upset by booing during the anthems in the World Cup play-off between Turkey and Switzerland.

"I consider it extremely disrespectful and of course disparaging to national pride," Blatter told Swiss magazine Schweizer Illustrierte.

"I'm wondering whether it makes sense to play the national anthems. We should at least consider not playing them."

A Fifa spokesman told BBC Sport that Blatter's comments were his own personal opinion and no official moves had been made to do away with national anthems.

But Blatter believes the booing of anthems may contribute to crowd trouble.

In Istanbul, the home fans booed the Swiss anthem, after the Turkish team had earlier complained about Swiss fans whistling over their national anthem ahead of the play-off first leg in Bern.

The second leg ended with the victorious Swiss players running for the tunnel as missiles were thrown from the crowd.

As they reached the players' tunnel, a fight broke out with their Turkish counterparts.

Blatter added: "We could also insist that the teams shake hands after the match.

"We cannot have the situation where the winning team is unable to celebrate but must instead sprint off the pitch like thieves."

Fifa has launched an investigation into events at Istanbul.

I can't beleive people are over-reacting like this!! Being English (although the subbers will say I'm an Irish gypsy) when the other team boo it only makes me feel like I should sing even more louder. Can't see how people can get offended. It's the countries song, it's our duty to sing it loud so THEY CAN HEAR IT!!!

I don't boo other nations anthems, well, I have done in my living room (Germans, Argies etc) but not of hate, just because they are rivals!

It's only football blatter, get over it you moron!

edit: and to re-itterate, THEY ARE NOT POINTLESS, THEY REPRESENT THE COUNTRY!!!

edit: and to re-itterate, THEY ARE NOT POINTLESS, THEY REPRESENT THE COUNTRY!!!

How does "God Save the Queen" represent the English? She's a German ho married to a Greek. God's from the Middle East. Please explain how this represents the country?

How does "God Save the Queen" represent the English? She's a German ho married to a Greek. God's from the Middle East. Please explain how this represents the country?

According to 'Baldrick' Tony Robinson :) and what I've personally researched the last monarch that was actually English and legitimate i.e. descended from Alfred the Great was King Richard III. Every monarch since then including the current British government's imposter 'God' Queen is of foreign descent. I wouldn't go so far as booing the German descended 'God' Queen's anthem but as an English Republican I do find it highly offensive. :englandsmile4wf:

Long live the memory of the English Commonwealth and English Republic.

God save us from Royalist tyranny.

i've been saying for ages that PC ba57erds have been trying to scrap the english national anthem because it does not represent those that believe in God, and those that believe that the Monarchy should step down. The fact that it gets involved into a footballing matter and everyone takes attention to it.

Keep the national anthems :englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

i've been saying for ages that PC ba57erds have been trying to scrap the english national anthem because it does not represent those that believe in God, and those that believe that the Monarchy should step down. The fact that it gets involved into a footballing matter and everyone takes attention to it.

Keep the national anthems :englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

Just a thought.... maybe there should be an ENGLISH anthem to be played. God Save the Queen is the anthem of the UK.

Suggest "Jerusalem".....

Guest bristolbred

Sepp Blatter just wants to kill any traditions that are left in the game.

How did he get the job of UEFA president?

He's SWISS!!

Supposed to be "neutral!", but what else do you expect from a Country who's only contribution to the World is the Cuckoo Clock!!

:):):)

Maybe a good idea considering both sets of fans abuse each others anthems

His next idea will be to ban Internationals, Championships and matches like the UEFA Cup, just in case the opposing fans and players don't like each other!!

:@ :@ :@

According to 'Baldrick' Tony Robinson :) and what I've personally researched the last monarch that was actually English and legitimate i.e. descended from Alfred the Great was King Richard III. Every monarch since then including the current British government's imposter 'God' Queen is of foreign descent. I wouldn't go so far as booing the German descended 'God' Queen's anthem but as an English Republican I do find it highly offensive. :englandsmile4wf:

Ashby De La Zouch is the "real" Capital of this Country and we should be ruled over by Good King Michael, according to Baldrickimpostor!!

:shifty::shifty::shifty:

Just a thought.... maybe there should be an ENGLISH anthem to be played. God Save the Queen is the anthem of the UK.

Suggest "Jerusalem".....

You got my support for that one!

I think Blatter should concern himself with footballing and security matters such as dealing with the animal from Turkey before messing with traditions like the anthems.

Alright I will tell you why. Throughout History and before we had a government, this country was ruled by either a King, or a Queen. We have always had a king and queen representing this country and expanding the Brittish empire. It is tradition, tradition which in my eyes should be carried on into the future.

God is christian of course. This country, tradionally is a chiristianic country and therefore that is how the anthem goes.

I am a tradioinalist and a patriot, together this is why I believe we should carry on singing this national anthem which represents my country.

Hear, Hear. I am a very patriotic ENGLISHMAN who happens to be a republican as well, I feel no loyalty towards the queen or our "anthem" whatsoever.

A prefered option would be for some other English anthem to be played, but as a pround Englishman I shrink in shame every time my fellow "supporters" boo another countrys anthems and for that reason, until we can all grow up and learn a bit of respect for others I would back Blatters suggestion 100%.

Throughout History and before we had a government, this country was ruled by either a King, or a Queen. We have always had a king and queen representing this country and expanding the Brittish empire. It is tradition, tradition which in my eyes should be carried on into the future.

Sorry to be picky LSN but you're very wrong, up until around 450 AD this country was actually a Province of the Roman empire. We were therefore ruled by various Caesars from Rome until this time. Afterwards there was so much fighting between various invading Northern European tribes no one was actually sure who was rightful 'King'. After the English civil war this country was run as a Commonwealth and Republic and after that a Protectorate under Oliver Cromwell then his son.

This country has, therefore, not always been ruled by a King or Queen. The current Royal family are barely English let alone a legitimate English Royal family. The British Government Queen's family name is actually Saxe-Coburg Goethe changed to 'Windsor' due to hatred of Germans and all things German during the and after World War I.

Archived