IGNORED

The One Positive

Rossineri

The one positive thing that we currently have at this club is the Academy. It is the envy of many other clubs, yet we still don't seem to realise this.

At last the true running costs have come out (around £200,000 pa). Nowhere near the previously mentioned £1m that many other clubs actually spend. Our Academy is run on a shoestring and yet amazingly it manages to compete and produce some outstanding young talent.

If it's purely down to costs, a centre of Excellence wouldn't actually be much cheaper to run and is not the answer. Our boys play against the best young teams in the country and we have to keep this 'little jewel' of ours. Anyone who witnessed the recent Academy v Centre of Excellence local derby would have seen clear evidence why Academy football is the better option. The difference in pace, talent and class was staggering.

Without keeping the Academy fixture list, we would never attract players such as Leroy Lita from other Academy teams like Chelsea. We get to play against these players and they can see what we have to offer them. They would not come to us as a Centre of Excellence to play against Cheltenham or Bournemouth.

In our current U18s Team there are at least 3 outstanding talents. If we can get the first team right within a couple of years, we will be in an excellent position to see the Academy working as it should. Academy players should be introduced gradually into first team football. A talented young player will thrive in a positive first team environment alongside some experienced pros to help him along.

The problem is that at the moment we are asking young players just out of the Academy to do the job of experienced first teamers. We should not take the cheap option for the Academy, we have already done this with the first team and look where it's got us.

I hope the chairman and the manager do not take the shortsighted view. If Gary can get the first team right as he tells us he will, together with the Academy our club will florish once again. Keep the faith!

The one positive thing that we currently have at this club is the Academy. It is the envy of many other clubs, yet we still don't seem to realise this.

At last the true running costs have come out (around £200,000 pa). Nowhere near the previously mentioned £1m that many other clubs actually spend. Our Academy is run on a shoestring and yet amazingly it manages to compete and produce some outstanding young talent.

If it's purely down to costs, a centre of Excellence wouldn't actually be much cheaper to run and is not the answer. Our boys play against the best young teams in the country and we have to keep this 'little jewel' of ours. Anyone who witnessed the recent Academy v Centre of Excellence local derby would have seen clear evidence why Academy football is the better option. The difference in pace, talent and class was staggering.

Without keeping the Academy fixture list, we would never attract players such as Leroy Lita from other Academy teams like Chelsea. We get to play against these players and they can see what we have to offer them. They would not come to us as a Centre of Excellence to play against Cheltenham or Bournemouth.

In our current U18s Team there are at least 3 outstanding talents. If we can get the first team right within a couple of years, we will be in an excellent position to see the Academy working as it should. Academy players should be introduced gradually into first team football. A talented young player will thrive in a positive first team environment alongside some experienced pros to help him along.

The problem is that at the moment we are asking young players just out of the Academy to do the job of experienced first teamers. We should not take the cheap option for the Academy, we have already done this with the first team and look where it's got us.

I hope the chairman and the manager do not take the shortsighted view. If Gary can get the first team right as he tells us he will, together with the Academy our club will florish once again. Keep the faith!

I agree.

Guest ashtonyate

QUOTE(SteveL @ Aug 8 2004, 8:47 PM)

The academy costs for the last 2 years were:-

2003 £672k

2004 £654k

We do receive some grants which we would get even if we did not have an academy and we do look to generate income from elsewhere towards it,which again we could possibly get without the academy, so I have not netted those off against the above.

Steve.

PS I do not have previous figures to hand.

Today, 11:09 PM Post #3

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,880

Supported City Since: 1950

QUOTE(SteveL @ Aug 8 2004, 8:47 PM)

The academy costs for the last 2 years were:-

2003 £672k

2004 £654k

We do receive some grants which we would get even if we did not have an academy and we do look to generate income from elsewhere towards it,which again we could possibly get without the academy, so I have not netted those off against the above. Steve.

PS I do not have previous figures to hand.

Archived