IGNORED

Aldershot V Forest Green

wybmadwity

Today I went to see Aldershot v Forest Green in the conference, a game with City connections.

Aldershot left side of Darren Barnard (Left Back) and Brian Tinnion (Left Midfield), faced the

Forest Green Rovers right side of Alex Meechen (Right Wing); Sekani Simpson (Right Back); Forest Green also have Guy Madjo Forward; Ryan Harley Left Midfield; Manager: Gary Owers.

Aldershot were among the favourites for the Conference but started the season badly, but now have put a string of good results together - the run started before Tinman arrived. Forest Green are bottom.

What happened - timings approximate:

7 minutes: Aldershot have a good shout for a penalty, Refeee ignores, Forest Green counter attack, Guy Madjo scores low to the right of goal. Madjo is looking sharp and classy - at this level.

Score 0-1

17 mins: Ryan Harley booked

20 mins: Aldershot score, defence asleep

Score 1-1

30 mins: Aldershots best forward Tim Sills fouls in his own half; innocuous looking. Ref sends Sills off.

34 mins: Sekani Simpson booked, correctly.

36 mins: Aldershot score from a corner, 1 man down, but player is left unmarked.

Score 2-1

40 mins: attaking melee in Aldershots goalmouth, goalie gathers, Madjo appeard to me to be frustrated and kicks the air - a couple of feet away from any player, though some players so seem to take exception. Ref sends Madyo off. Evening things up. A bad referee.

50 minutes: Harley substituted.

85 mins: Darren Barnard booked, rightly. He is getting wound up, partly with Meechan, who he insults unnecessarily.

There were at least 3 other bookings. Only Tinman of the ex City contingent fails to have his name in the refs book.

So a mid-table team win 2-1 at home to the bottom club.

And the referee made a name for himself. But I won't tell you his real name. The name he made for himself was very similar to twit.

The match was decent, with a few chances, offside decisions stopped goals for both teams. Would have been much more interesting had both teams kept their main attacking threats on. Spoilt by the one in black.

Crowd 2200+, I don't think this is very good for Aldershot. They still have the same ground the end facing the town is open - I stood there for a while during the match along with about 10 others. Still had to queue 10 minutes to get in, then paid £12 to stand, which seems steep for this level, but both teams are now "full-time".

City connections report:

Barnard: 7 - classy for a fullback at this level, still fast, worked well with Tinnion - the old men covering each other.

Tinnion: 8 - again classy, thinks fast, worked hard, simple weighted passes

Simpson: 5 - OK, though not pushed hard

Madjo: 7 - a real threat for 30 minutes

Meechan: 6 - Not a natural wide player, better as a poacher, looked to be a decent conference player

Harley: 4 - sadly looks to have lost it. Harley is elegant but lightweight, lacks commitment - even in the Conference

Archived