IGNORED

Quick ?

slartibartfast

On Twentyman's phone in last Friday, Clive Whitehead seemed to remember a time when George Best played against City for Fulham and also said that Booby Moore played in the same game.

I'm sure that his memory was playing tricks, as the last time that Bobby Moore played at the Gate was in the promotion season of 75/76, and Bestie didn't join Fulham until 77/78?, certainly not before we were promoted to the top flight.

So the only time that I got to see George Best play was in a (old) Division 2 game against Rovers with a gashead friend of mine, stood in the Tote End. So there we go, I had to drop a Division from City and risk a hostile environment to see the best player of all time! And he was still very good, but without the blistering place - a bit like Scott Murray is now - I wish!

As a matter of interest did he ever play a competetive game against us? He had left Man U by the time we did the double against them in 74/75, and I am sure that he didn't play against us whilst with Fulham or Bournemouth.

So do all our players of that era have some kind of delusion that they played against him in a match that never actually happened - you can imagine them all swapping stories at re-unions of the way that they tackled him, nutmegged him, out-showboated him, even though they didn't play on the same pitch as him.

Archived