IGNORED

Steve Phillips

BCFC.Ady65

Q. How many other clubs/keepers blamed the FA Cup ball that weekend......

Actually a few Clubs made comments and Martin Scott at Hartlepool was very vociferous. Similar errors have been made by Premiership Keepers recently (Van der Sar for one). Keeper make mistakes, and Phillips makes less than most at our level, as well as making a number of outstanding saves. Johnson has made mistakes (Youga, Quinn, Savage, Hand Grenades) - Should he be dropped???

A lot of people seem to think, from talking to the players, that a significant % don't like Johnson - was that your opinion too ?

thats the impression i got from a few of the players on monday

i won't comment on what SP said but it is of a concern.

whoever is at blame the players or johnson i wish they would sort it out and A.S.A.P

fact is stats don't lie and it is getting to a dodgy state now.

since brentford away we have lost 9 in 12 and won 3, .......8 lost on the trot,

that is a shocking record that would get any manager the sack, let alone starting off at a club.

really johnson has won 2 as technically millen was in charge for the brentford match and picked the team although johnson was there.

if the rumors are true about the players not with him then come january we could be sunk too

far in the relegation zone (5 points a drift now) to get out of, i can't see us winning the next 2 games

that then becomes 10 lost on the trot, i have said back johnson but how any manager can keep his job

after 10 losses on the trot would be a miracle, far worse than the 7-1 at swansea,

and it is only 1st december :doh:

it is going to be a long month with a lot of points i can't see us picking up.

it appears we are gearing up to go down for yet another rebuilding

if we do that is shocking :shifty:

The simple truth is that the players are at fault for under performing all season and Gary Johnson is not totally blameless either. It is one thing to wave a big stick but you have to treat people like adults at work. A sensible manager would surely have "used" the players for his own means before getting rid of the players he didn't want when the time was right. The grenade situation seems to be one of the worst pieces of individual man management we have ever seen at Ashton Gate resulting in disastrous consequences. And I will repeat this again - Johnsons treatment of Dave Cotterill on Saturday was absolutely disgraceful.

It seems to me that BOTH the players and Johnson need to swallow their pride and start working TOGETHER for the good of the club and the supporters. If they hate each other then fine, just live with it for now. But at least let's get some effort from everbody. As long as all of these players put in the effort they can stick their middle finger up to Johnson when they finally reach the exit door with no complaints from me.

(b)His mistakes HAVE cost us points

I presume you mean Southend, which we lost 3-0 - The one that Phillips was blamed for, his was just a part in a catalogue of errors. I also presume that the number of points gained due to his agility gets overlooked?

I really wonder what certain people expect from a Third Division keeper, he is no Robinson or Cech, but at this level, he is amongst the best - as previously judged by his fellow pros. As I know, having to endure some moron near me continually slagging off Phillips, some individuals will never appreciate him.

greebo, this is a genuine question. How did GJ treat cotterill that was so disgraceful?

For a start he played him out of position when in reality he should not have been playing at all (the lad has needed a rest for a while now). Then he substitutes him after half an hour which I would imagine is fairly humiliating for him, given his age. OK the needs of the team come first and I accept he would have to live with that. But assuming he was not humiliated at that point he was then called "###### hopeless" in front of the rest of the team (unless the first team player I have spoken is lying in which case I apologise to Mr Johnson and would hold nothing but contempt for the player concerned). Personally, I think that is no way to treat a 17 year old kid. Like it or not, 17 year olds have not reached full maturity and they should not be subjected to that from a Manager who has made a big balls up in the system he has chosen to play and wants to take out his frustration on someone. When Cotterill improves his form/experience and sticks his middle finger up to the club we shouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

Guest Harry Dolman

For a start he played him out of position when in reality he should not have been playing at all (the lad has needed a rest for a while now). Then he substitutes him after half an hour which I would imagine is fairly humiliating for him, given his age. OK the needs of the team come first and I accept he would have to live with that. But assuming he was not humiliated at that point he was then called "###### hopeless" in front of the rest of the team (unless the first team player I have spoken is lying in which case I apologise to Mr Johnson and would hold nothing but contempt for the player concerned). Personally, I think that is no way to treat a 17 year old kid. Like it or not, 17 year olds have not reached full maturity and they should not be subjected to that from a Manager who has made a big balls up in the system he has chosen to play and wants to take out his frustration on someone. When Cotterill improves his form/experience and sticks his middle finger up to the club we shouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

To be honest I would hold the player that told you that in total contempt anyway.... surely those things should stay in house ??

Cotterill desperately needs a break (I.E youth team/reserve games to regain his confidence). When he 1st broke into the team last year he was full of tricks (albeit with limited end product). Now when he gets the ball he seems to want to offload it ASAP so he doesn't make a mistake (a trick he has surely acquired from his more senior colleagues). If we are going to get out of this mess, then it needs to be the senior pros' showing the way - not relying on the likes of Skuse & Cotterill.

To be honest I would hold the player that told you that in total contempt anyway.... surely those things should stay in house ??

Cotterill desperately needs a break (I.E youth team/reserve games to regain his confidence). When he 1st broke into the team last year he was full of tricks (albeit with limited end product). Now when he gets the ball he seems to want to offload it ASAP so he doesn't make a mistake (a trick he has surely acquired from his more senior colleagues). If we are going to get out of this mess, then it needs to be the senior pros' showing the way - not relying on the likes of Skuse & Cotterill.

I do actually agree with you. Things like that should stay in house. That said, many people talk to others about what happens at work. I was actually quite shocked when the player concerned was telling me (and five or six other people at the same time by the way). He obviously did not give a stuff about being found out and needed no prompting to spill the beans. As I have said before it is abundantly clear to me that there are two camps in the Bristol City squad at the moment - the contracted players who feel unwanted/hard done by and the loanees. The fact that the player was so willing to share information like that with supporters was, in effect, showing complete contempt for the manager. Obviously I cannot tell you who the player is (I am not going to go round getting people the sack, although you may be able to guess yourself) but at least you can now narrow down the list of players who hold Johnson in contempt to about 15, judging by recent performances!!

Guest Harry Dolman

I do actually agree with you. Things like that should stay in house. That said, many people talk to others about what happens at work. I was actually quite shocked when the player concerned was telling me (and five or six other people at the same time by the way). He obviously did not give a stuff about being found out and needed no prompting to spill the beans. As I have said before it is abundantly clear to me that there are two camps in the Bristol City squad at the moment - the contracted players who feel unwanted/hard done by and the loanees. The fact that the player was so willing to share information like that with supporters was, in effect, showing complete contempt for the manager. Obviously I cannot tell you who the player is (I am not going to go round getting people the sack, although you may be able to guess yourself) but at least you can now narrow down the list of players who hold Johnson in contempt to about 15, judging by recent performances!!

Where do you stand - on the side of the players or Johnson ?? I back Johnson.

The players had the softly softly approach with Tinnion - they got him the sack. If they don't like the "bad cop" with Johnson then tough luck I say. Johnson has achieved 2 promotions (both as champions, I think) in the last few years - which current city player has achieved much/anything in that time frame. The only 1 that comes to mind is Stewart getting promoted with Sunderland.

To add to the rumour-mongering I heard that after Sankofa had been subbed he accidently tripped over Johnsons foot on his way back to the bench, Johnson turned round and kicked Sankofa. Whether this is true or not who knows.

If the stories are true it paints a very bad picture of Gary Johnson. If they aren't then there is clearly a conspiracy somewhere to discredit him. I spoke to Steve on Monday as well and can confirm that he was very upset at the way things are currently. Also I think it was noticed that there seemed to be very little contact between GJ and the playing squad.

Lastly it was mentioned that GJ built up something of a personality cult at Yeovil. GJ's reputation far outshone those of the players. At City we already have several names of reasonable profile for the division in Murray, Bridges, Stewart, Phillips & Carey. Several of these have experienced the GJ cold shoulder and replaced with relative unknowns.

Whatever the truth these are very worrying times.

Guest Harry Dolman

To add to the rumour-mongering I heard that after Sankofa had been subbed he accidently tripped over Johnsons foot on his way back to the bench, Johnson turned round and kicked Sankofa. Whether this is true or not who knows.

If the stories are true it paints a very bad picture of Gary Johnson. If they aren't then there is clearly a conspiracy somewhere to discredit him. I spoke to Steve on Monday as well and can confirm that he was very upset at the way things are currently. Also I think it was noticed that there seemed to be very little contact between GJ and the playing squad.

Lastly it was mentioned that GJ built up something of a personality cult at Yeovil. GJ's reputation far outshone those of the players. At City we already have several names of reasonable profile for the division in Murray, Bridges, Stewart, Phillips & Carey. Several of these have experienced the GJ cold shoulder and replaced with relative unknowns.

Whatever the truth these are very worrying times.

Well if the rumour about Sankofa is true - at least it disproves the theory about him favouring the loan rangers above the contracted player !

Hmm, what would I prefer a team of "big" names earning fat salaries in the comfort zone or a team of hungry unknowns who play themselves to 2 titles in 2 years.........

Where do you stand - on the side of the players or Johnson ?? I back Johnson.

The players had the softly softly approach with Tinnion - they got him the sack. If they don't like the "bad cop" with Johnson then tough luck I say. Johnson has achieved 2 promotions (both as champions, I think) in the last few years - which current city player has achieved much/anything in that time frame. The only 1 that comes to mind is Stewart getting promoted with Sunderland.

I agree that the players must respect the manager. It must also be said, though, that the manager must respect the players. You simply cannot treat adults like children in ANY profession. As a manager, that smacks of total incompetence and you would deserve everything that is coming to you.

What really needs to happen here is a clearing of the air and BOTH players and manager need to place their massive ego's to one side (Johnson's is just as big as any of the players, it would seem) and put the CLUB and the SUPPORTERS first. As I have said, why do they particularly need to like each other? Two way respect is all that is required, not affection.

Guest Harry Dolman

I agree that the players must respect the manager. It must also be said, though, that the manager must respect the players. You simply cannot treat adults like children in ANY profession. As a manager, that smacks of total incompetence and you would deserve everything that is coming to you.

What really needs to happen here is a clearing of the air and BOTH players and manager need to place their massive ego's to one side (Johnson's is just as big as any of the players, it would seem) and put the CLUB and the SUPPORTERS first. As I have said, why do they particularly need to like each other? Two way respect is all that is required, not affection.

You are right - I am sure lots of Man U players wouldn't class "like" as their emotion towards Fergie, similarly I doubt if many Forest players "liked" Clough in his hey day.

Its seems though that these sort of personality wrangles affect Ashton Gate more than other grounds ??

You are right - I am sure lots of Man U players wouldn't class "like" as their emotion towards Fergie, similarly I doubt if many Forest players "liked" Clough in his hey day.

Its seems though that these sort of personality wrangles affect Ashton Gate more than other grounds ??

If I remember correctly even cloughie went through some trials and tribulations with players and owners. People and Players either hated him or liked him. Those players who liked him did well at Derby and at Nottingham Forest

Archived