IGNORED

Grant Smith

Redtilldead

I see Grant Smith scored in the reserves again today, I think he should be given a go in midfield for the next couple of home games, you never know he could do something in the middle of the park for us, it has to be worth a try, especially as Skusey is out for a few weeks, and G Smith has a point to prove before Jan.

Someone's summing up of Grant Smith went something like "pace of an asthmatic slug"(sp?)

Hope he goes in January.

Dunno. I don't think we have fully looked at him in the central role, only the left where he says it's not his best position. He has scored a few times in the Reserves which is more than what the forwards have done.

Thing is, the lad gets stuck in and hasn't played in his position yet.

He scored 10 goals for a poo team last season and a goalscoring midfielder is something we have been sreaming out for.

At least give him a couple of games in the middle and see what he can do.We are so quick to judge without actually giving them a chance.

You don't need out and out pace in the middle of midfield and the guy has a great left peg.

I don't think wilkshire and smith could play as the 2 central midfielders one will have to play on the left the other central. Switching them about during a game could be a real test for any team. My mid-4 would be

Murray-Noble-Smith-Wilkshire

The fact is that Russel, Smith, Wilkshire and Noble are all players that prefer to play centre midfield and like to get forward. By pairing any two of them up, we'd be neglecting the defensive side of the midfield.

One of them will probably leave and I'd imagine that either Wilkshire will be signed on the cheap (or for free in the summer) or Smith will be encouraged to leave.

With Russell's age, one of the other three probably won't mind sharing the role with him until he retires.

A defensive midfielder is crucially needed, as is an actual winger to play on the left (Smith and LukeW would rather not play there).

Let's all write to Santa.

Someone's summing up of Grant Smith went something like "pace of an asthmatic slug"(sp?)

Hope he goes in January.

But have we given him a chance in the middle yet?, he has scored goals in that position for us in the reserves,I know its not first team football, but i really think with Skusey out for a while he should be given the chance to show us what he can do in the middle, he did score 10 goals in that position last season.

Hope he goes in January.

i have saw grant smith play in a couple of matches from the start and fell he is a very good player he still hasnt had a run in the team to prove himself. this is his chance while skuse is out and will be a good replacement if given a chance

The fact is that Russel, Smith, Wilkshire and Noble are all players that prefer to play centre midfield and like to get forward. By pairing any two of them up, we'd be neglecting the defensive side of the midfield.

One of them will probably leave and I'd imagine that either Wilkshire will be signed on the cheap (or for free in the summer) or Smith will be encouraged to leave.

With Russell's age, one of the other three probably won't mind sharing the role with him until he retires.

A defensive midfielder is crucially needed, as is an actual winger to play on the left (Smith and LukeW would rather not play there).

Let's all write to Santa.

The fact is that we have ALL central midfielders-Eight at the last count and Johno tried to sign another on the loan deadline day.

It was Tinnions fault that we didn't get one in the close season.......although Tinnion thought that would be Smith :doh: and Johnson has failed to get one whilst insisting on playing 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 when a wide left player is an absolute prerequisite :blink:

Smith was signed to play wide-left and the simple fact is, there isn't an opportunity for him in the centre. We have Wilkshire who will play if fit ****il he leaves), Skuse who was picked when fit by Tins and GJ, Russell who was bought for experience that at 25 Smith doesn't have, Orr as cover, Brown to get stuck in, Noble a replacement for Skippy and GJ will be getting a tackler in January, probably the Finnish player from C*rdiff. Smith is too weedy to play in the middle and can't be bothered out wide. Not needed on voyage.

Smith was signed to play wide-left and the simple fact is, there isn't an opportunity for him in the centre. We have Wilkshire who will play if fit ****il he leaves), Skuse who was picked when fit by Tins and GJ, Russell who was bought for experience that at 25 Smith doesn't have, Orr as cover, Brown to get stuck in, Noble a replacement for Skippy and GJ will be getting a tackler in January, probably the Finnish player from C*rdiff. Smith is too weedy to play in the middle and can't be bothered out wide. Not needed on voyage.

Smith has no experience at 25? tell me your having a laugh!!!!

Look at his record. He has hardly played for anyone, that's what I mean. At 25 he has probably played less games in first teams than (say) Leroy Lita..

And how many goals did GS score last season ???. as I said he has scored goals for the reserves in the middle for the City, I cant see him being any worse than what has been happening in midfield so far, so now might just be the time to do it, he has everything to prove, I might be wrong, but surely he's worth a chance against Bradford ?

Perhaps he had a purple patch last season at Swindon? After all, Murray scored all those goals a few seasons ago, it does happen. I have not been impressed with G Smith at all, not by his work-rate, passion, influence on the game and least of all his tackling. We need all those things in the middle at the moment, Skippy can score the goals from there.

Guest stfc red

Perhaps he had a purple patch last season at Swindon? After all, Murray scored all those goals a few seasons ago, it does happen. I have not been impressed with G Smith at all, not by his work-rate, passion, influence on the game and least of all his tackling. We need all those things in the middle at the moment, Skippy can score the goals from there.

spot on with that smith only started playing well last year when he knew he needed a contract.make no bones about it if he didnt score those goals he would be lg 2 now

Guest stfc red

I've said in several posts now that Grant Smith has the build and ability to do a job for us as a defensive midfielder.

The fact that he hasn't even been tried in that position speaks volumes.

he,s not disciplined enough for that in my opinion.find it more strange he hasnt been tried off the front two.saying that if you look at his career(last 15 games at us apart) no managers seem to have faith in him you got to ask yourself why that is.apparantly he,s not a likeble person off the pitch and his dad has got to much to say on occasions maybe this has more to do with things than people realise

Guest Fred Fjord

I honestly thought Grant Smith would do really well for Bristol City, but it took him far too long to establish a place in the squad.

He's played for a lot of teams, I wonder if he has an attitude problem or something along those lines.

:dunno:

I honestly thought Smiith would be crap for City, as soon as Tinnion said he was playing him wide left.

Smith's problem all through his career has been finding a position that suits him.

Supposedly in his early years he was striker, while with the likes of Sheff U, but doesn't have pace, and isn't big enough for a target man.

Because of being left footed, he'd get used by King as a makeshift left back, but didn't have the positional sense.....wide left again lack of pace and inability to beat a fullback, rendered that pointless.

He didn't really get a run going until being drafted into central mid, playing as the forward prong of a diamond midfield.....if he' freed from excessive defensive duties, told to get into the box to support the forwards he can score good goals.

Archived