IGNORED

Not Knowing What You've Got

Rich-TWSC-

I cannot believe this article.... What lower league clubs, teams who Wigan played in the league not-so-long-ago, wouldn't give for the kind of opportunity that the Wigan chairman has given their club.

Jewell fury at Latics' supporters

"Wigan boss Paul Jewell has slammed some of the club's supporters for criticising the players despite the Latics lying fifth in the Premiership.

Jewell also turned on the stay-away fans, with Wigan enjoying only one sell-out so far in the campaign.

"We've lost twice, the first against Arsenal who we pushed all the way in front of 25,000. Then we play Spurs and lose 2,500 fans. How come?" he said.

"If people criticise the players they need a good long look at themselves."

Jewell has seen his newly-promoted Latics take the Premiership by storm this season and they were second before narrow defeats against Arsenal and Tottenham.

On Wednesday, they progressed to the last eight of the Carling Cup with an impressive 1-0 win over Newcastle with mostly a second-string side.

Jewell added: "I think some people can be a bit harsh against this football club at times and some of them are our own supporters.

"It's not about me, but one or two things have been coming back to me that some of the players have been criticised. I find that unbelievable.

"I just think if there's any criticism from the supporters towards this team then we may as well all pack up and go home now."

BBC (Source)

Foolish, foolish Wigan supporters!

Rugger buggers all of em

Five years of living in Wigan has taught me some important facts about the town:

1. It has a rugby heritage which not even the present success of the football team can overturn. Aside from the past season and a half the attendances at the JJB have been significantly higher for Rugby League than for football matches.

2. The football fans are the most fickle and pessimistic bunch I have EVER known (perhaps in their case this is due to following a team in blue and white), and that says a great deal having followed City for over thirty years.

Just four years ago the fans were up in arms wanting Dave Whelan out; they had lost yet another game in succession and felt that with him as Chairman the club was going nowhere.

Whelan has the measure of the fans, he knows that they will fill the stadium for the likes of Arsenal, Manchester Utd and Chelsea, but they aren't bothered about watching what they regard as "lesser" teams. The admission costs at the JJB are among the cheapest in the Premiership, and yet the club seems unable to attract capacity crowds.

Having said all this, during City's days in Division One they failed to attract capacity crowds, except for the occasions when the likes of Liverpool and Manchester Utd came to town. The attendances for matches against the likes of Bolton, Ipswich, Norwich, Middlesbrough, Derby and the like were often quite poor.

Archived