IGNORED

Scouting Network

tin

One of my best friends, Phil Walsh, son of City Legend and current coach Alan Walsh who had a trial game with City at the end of last season against the Gas, cannot believe that his current Bath City teammate Andy Sandell hasn't even been looked at by City. He has recommended him highly to me and his father and says, after watching alot of City's games because of his dad, that he is the answer to BCFC's left wing problems. The thing is, as reported in Saturday's Green Un, he is on the verge of joining our league leaders, Swansea City and has been training with them twice a week for the last fortnight and they're very impressed by the lad.

I remember someone else posting something similar in recent weeks but what the hell are our scouting network doing? Seriously???? I've seen this boy play and he's exactly what we need down the left side but where are we when a lad is shining on our doorstep?:dunno:

Guest ashtonyate

We are a one trick donkey club we put all the scouting money into the academy in the hope that it will produce all the players we would need.Another silly decision that this club seems to make to often

I've seen this boy play and he's exactly what we need down the left side but where are we when a lad is shining on our doorstep?:dunno:

Yes, but have you seen him play at league 1 level?

It's all very well saying that various clubs are watching him and that he plays well for his club, but can he cut the mustard at our level?

The world is full of wannabes and would-bes who look great at their own level and look like fish out of water when they make a big step up.

With the state that the club is in at the moment, Johnson needs to be pretty sure he doesn't bring in another Savage.

It's all very well saying that various clubs are watching him and that he plays well for his club, but can he cut the mustard at our level?

The world is full of wannabes and would-bes who look great at their own level and look like fish out of water when they make a big step up.

With the state that the club is in at the moment, Johnson needs to be pretty sure he doesn't bring in another Savage.

No, I haven't seen him at League One level but you could tell he could easily make the step up. Why else would the League leaders be sharking around him?? :dunno:

Look at players such as Freddy Eastwood who got a hatrick at the Gate a few weeks ago. He went on trial to Swindon and got rejected but Southend gave him a deal til the end of last season to give him the chance. If he sank, they could release him back into non-league without having to pay up a long and expensive contract but he didn't.

What's the harm in looking at these players and giving them a few games? They can't do nay worse than the current lot!

No, I haven't seen him at League One level but you could tell he could easily make the step up. Why else would the League leaders be sharking around him?? :dunno:

Look at players such as Freddy Eastwood who got a hatrick at the Gate a few weeks ago. He went on trial to Swindon and got rejected but Southend gave him a deal til the end of last season to give him the chance. If he sank, they could release him back into non-league without having to pay up a long and expensive contract but he didn't.

What's the harm in looking at these players and giving them a few games? They can't do nay worse than the current lot!

I accept your point and, under normal circumstances, would agree that he could be taken on for a look. Perhaps even give him a run out in the reserves.

But as I stated, Johnson's signings are under the microscope at the moment and he can't really afford another mistake and bring in an unknown.

The lad may well be one for the future and I agree City's scouting system has always left a lot to be desired, especially during the Jock Rae era, but I think the club needs to concentrate on getting well-established pros into the club.

Good shout, though!

:)

I accept your point and, under normal circumstances, would agree that he could be taken on for a look. Perhaps even give him a run out in the reserves.

But as I stated, Johnson's signings are under the microscope at the moment and he can't really afford another mistake and bring in an unknown.

Johnson's signings are very much under the microscope but would it really be that much of a mistake??? :dunno:

What I propose is that it's beneficial for both parties if we were to take him a month-to-month deal, ala Madjo. If it works out, firstly in the reserves, then give him a year to cut the mustard. He wouldn't want megabucks to give him the chance of league football! If he doesn't cut the mustard then the club don't lose any money!

What's the betting Swansea come down here in January and he has a stromer! Can see it now :doh:

I know you are saying Johnson can't take a chance but............Arn't Swansea doing the right thing by getting the lad in for training (twice a week) with them for several weeks so they can see him working against experienced pros in training, if they are going to bid they must be pretty sure. the point is we could have been doing the same and inviting him in for training etc. but we just don't seem to look anywhwere else.

In the past (& since Aaron Brown left) we have watched McIndoe leave Yeovil for Doncaster after he had been available for some time, similarly Paul Parry was earning MOM almost every week for Hereford & was available (as Hereford needed cash) eventually Cardiff moved in and now he's playing Championship football and has got into the Wales full squad. Thats 2 left wingers we missed under our noses.

SL said at the AGM that we didn't have any (paid employees) scouts & surely thats a disgrace. We have relied heavily on the Premiership exit trials to supplement the acadamy graduates(Coles, Hill,Cotterill,etc) but have any of the players from the exit trials worked (ie) Clist, Fortune, Woodman ?? Please don't say Lita because we didn't spot Lita - he rang the club & asked for a trial (after Chelsea released him) because he had some relations in Bristol (an uncle i think) that meant he had a place to stay etc. Just a good job his uncle didn't live in Cardiff or Swansea or we would have missed him too.

Sorry - we just don't seem to look under our own noses

Also on scouting I note that the guy who runs the Scandanavian City Supporters club (!) has posted some good links to available, affordable players in Denmark & Norway & Sweden - I clearly don't know if they are any good but you would like to think the club would at least check it out

We don't have a scouting network. Steve Lansdown basically admitted as much at the AGM. We have Gary Johnson's brother scouting in London and that's it.

If you ask me, this is a criminal oversight on the part of the board. The lack of a decent scouting network has cost the club many, many good signings over the years and it appears to be continuing to do so.

I fail to see what possible justification there can be for having no proper scouting network in place whilst the club continues to spend relatively large sums of money on the playing staff (the academy, incidentally, is not relevant to this discussion as it is a separate entity and I see now reason to believe that it is diverting funds that would otherwise be used to run a scouting network).

Guest ashtonyate

We don't have a scouting network. Steve Lansdown basically admitted as much at the AGM. We have Gary Johnson's brother scouting in London and that's it.

If you ask me, this is a criminal oversight on the part of the board. The lack of a decent scouting network has cost the club many, many good signings over the years and it appears to be continuing to do so.

I fail to see what possible justification there can be for having no proper scouting network in place whilst the club continues to spend relatively large sums of money on the playing staff (the academy, incidentally, is not relevant to this discussion as it is a separate entity and I see now reason to believe that it is diverting funds that would otherwise be used to run a scouting network).

I can see a strong link between the academy and scouting if you are bring on young player why do you want scouts, or thats what the club thinks wrong again bad thinking

I can see a strong link between the academy and scouting if you are bring on young player why do you want scouts, or thats what the club thinks wrong again bad thinking

It's not what the club thinks and it has nothing to do with the academy. They just haven't had a scouting network because recent managers haven't wanted one enough to set one up.

Don't let that stop you from criticising the academy though Ashtonyate.

Nibor

Because, as I am sure you are aware, you need senior players as well as young players. You've stated many times that the ideal squad would only have one or two young players in it, and I believe most people would agree. City's problem over the last few years has not been the young players, it's been the quality of the senior pros brought in to play alongside them. They've been too expensive and had too many bad habits off the pitch - and this is down to poor scouting.

What the club seems to think is that it can bring in perfectly good senior players without a scouting network and I think it's been proved wrong in that respect.

No scouting network.... I suspected as much. Utter, utter lunacy.

Until now I've supported SL whole heartedly but there comes a time when you've got to say...... 'you don't know what you're doing'.

SL....for Christsake scrap the Academy and invest in a decent scouting network now or we're doomed.

40 years of supporting this Club through thick and thin, but now even I am beginning to wobble! My thanks to all current and recent employees for getting us into this mess.

You hardly need a great scouting network to pick up local players. Just read the papers and check out anyone getting good reviews. Years ago, Bath City had Paul Bodin, head and shoulders above anything else I had ever seen there, he even played against us twice, proving his quality, but we made no effort to sign him. Wonder what became of him!

GJ could even watch Conference football on Sky, there are usually a couple of players who stand out and might be worth keeping an eye on.

You hardly need a great scouting network to pick up local players. Just read the papers and check out anyone getting good reviews. Years ago, Bath City had Paul Bodin, head and shoulders above anything else I had ever seen there, he even played against us twice, proving his quality, but we made no effort to sign him. Wonder what became of him!

GJ could even watch Conference football on Sky, there are usually a couple of players who stand out and might be worth keeping an eye on.

This post isn't about Sandell being a youngster rising through the ranks, it's about the fact Swansea City have had this guy when he's on our doorstep and the club seemingly does nothing to help our lower league scouting network. When was the last time we signed somebody from non-league, seriously??? Steve Phillips from Paulton in 1997 and Ben Wright from Kettering in 1998 are the most recent to spring to my mind! What are the club doing when there is a player like this performing under our noses??? Bet he has a stormer at the Gate when the Swans come down in January. Absolute joke Lansdown! :@

Guest ashtonyate

Because, as I am sure you are aware, you need senior players as well as young players. You've stated many times that the ideal squad would only have one or two young players in it, and I believe most people would agree. City's problem over the last few years has not been the young players, it's been the quality of the senior pros brought in to play alongside them. They've been too expensive and had too many bad habits off the pitch - and this is down to poor scouting.

What the club seems to think is that it can bring in perfectly good senior players without a scouting network and I think it's been proved wrong in that respect.

I agree with most of what you have said except the real roll of a scout is to find that little gem in the lower division that can move up too a higher division a player that may have not been given a contract when he passed through his clubs academy

Its up to the manager to target players that he want to sign for the first team not a scouts although the manager may get the scout to watch him a few times.

Archived