IGNORED

England Path

Not bad.

I think if it all works out, and all the seeds win through to the QFs, it goes:

Germany/Argentina v Italy/France

England/Mexico (more likely Portugal?) v Brazil/Spain.

Only though I had - the only bit of rigging I could see was to write Germany and Brazil in to their groups so they could not meet until the final! Are they ranked one and two?

Lots of course could change, but a possible route through to the final in the KOs goes, Poland, Mexico (or Portugal), Brazil, then the final.

If we and Brazil both win our groups, we cannot meet in the final.

The 'revenge' route would be Germany, Portugal, Brazil, and Argentina in the final. Nice!

England will not win the world cup because they don't have the mentality to do so (losing on penalties time after time is one big giveaway of that) and in addition they have a coach/manager/whatever in Ericsson who simply does not have the motivational skills necessary to take a team all the way. Proof of that came in the Euro 2004 campaign and against fired up teams like Northern Ireland.

Paraguay are a nasty little side - both in abilityand what they do off the ball - and England really need to win that one. Trinidad ought to be 3 points but I've seen so many upsets over the years I'm not counting on anything. The only cert is that England will not beat Sweden.

Then once England come up against a quality side they'll fail. Inevitable. Always happens, it's happened for 40 years so why change now? Its no good pointing to that 3-2 win over Argentina the other week because that was a friendly and means nothing; also Argentina lost that because Pekerman pulled off his star player in the last few minutes when they were 2-1 up and he won't do that again.

Therefore I ignore the stupid newspapers and their brainless shouts of "Engand to Go All The Way" because they won't; they never do. Papers haven't changed their tune in all that time and they won't because they are written by idiots keen on building up expectations so they can put the boot in WHEN failure comes along. That's what sports journalists really like to do.

Archived