IGNORED

Scott Murray

Frank Reynolds

"It was a great start and it's a shame we couldn't extend the lead until late in the day, but what a goal that was by the young whipper-snapper.

"I can remember scoring goals like that about ten years ago. He picked the ball up on the right, beat fifteen players and then slotted it into the bottom corner."

From the main site.

It made me laugh anyway!

Well I have no sense of smell so I could hardly complain about the pong.

r u serious? u poor girl. food must be so boring until you put it in your mouth and garden flowers must be without a soul to you. i love opening the door in the morning and fill my lungs with the scents from all those wonderful tropical flower scents. poor you. on the other hand it sure must be a blessing coming out of the bathroom.

Yes I am serious, Dolly has no sense of smell.

And as I live on my own I just leave the door open anyway :dance:

Just too much information.

Being serious, if you have no sense of smell make sure you have a couple of smoke alarms. They will warn you when the toast is burning. :doh:

Whilst we're on the subject, what is a whipper-snapper?

jiggered if i know but what a great example of our wonderful language.Here is one explanation................

from" words @ random"

April 16, 1998

whipper-snapper

John Hines writes:

A senior friend of mine said today, "These young whippersnappers today just don't have any respect for their elders anymore." Seems I heard my Grandpa saying the same thing to me some 40+ years ago. What does "whippersnapper" mean, and where did it come from?

A whippersnapper is 'an unimportant but offensively presumptuous person, especially a young one'.

A few nineteenth-century examples: "Dost thou think it's nat'ral noo, that having such a proper mun as thou to keep company wi', I'd ever take' opp wi' such a leetle scanty whipper-snapper as yon?" (Dickens, Nicholas Nickelby); "They think I am very stiff and cool, most of them, and so I am to whippersnappers" (Louisa May Alcott, Little Women); "...had unnaturally been jealous that a young whipper-snapper of a pupil...should become a Parliament man" (Trollope, Phineas Finn).

The word whippersnapper--which, as these citations indicate, is often hyphenated--is first recorded in this sense in the late 1690s; there's an example earlier in the seventeenth century, in a book about criminals, that seems to mean 'a rogue; petty criminal'.

Whippersnapper is probably a blend of the earlier whipster and snipper-snapper, themselves first recorded in the late sixteenth century. Snipper-snapper is now obsolete or dialectal; it is based on snip-snap, a gradational compound having various parts of speech all generally referring to "snappiness," as of conversation.

jiggered if i know but what a great example of our wonderful language.Here is one explanation................

from" words @ random"

April 16, 1998

whipper-snapper

John Hines writes:

A senior friend of mine said today, "These young whippersnappers today just don't have any respect for their elders anymore." Seems I heard my Grandpa saying the same thing to me some 40+ years ago. What does "whippersnapper" mean, and where did it come from?

A whippersnapper is 'an unimportant but offensively presumptuous person, especially a young one'.

A few nineteenth-century examples: "Dost thou think it's nat'ral noo, that having such a proper mun as thou to keep company wi', I'd ever take' opp wi' such a leetle scanty whipper-snapper as yon?" (Dickens, Nicholas Nickelby); "They think I am very stiff and cool, most of them, and so I am to whippersnappers" (Louisa May Alcott, Little Women); "...had unnaturally been jealous that a young whipper-snapper of a pupil...should become a Parliament man" (Trollope, Phineas Finn).

The word whippersnapper--which, as these citations indicate, is often hyphenated--is first recorded in this sense in the late 1690s; there's an example earlier in the seventeenth century, in a book about criminals, that seems to mean 'a rogue; petty criminal'.

Whippersnapper is probably a blend of the earlier whipster and snipper-snapper, themselves first recorded in the late sixteenth century. Snipper-snapper is now obsolete or dialectal; it is based on snip-snap, a gradational compound having various parts of speech all generally referring to "snappiness," as of conversation.

Ahh, yes, you've reminded me that the Internet is an occasional useful place of information. dictionary.com gives the word jackanapes as a synonym for whipper-snapper. Now that's a word you don't see very often!

Personally, I think that Cotterill is a jackanapes and that Scott Brown is a whipper-snapper.

Guest Ronmeister

Ahh, yes, you've reminded me that the Internet is an occasional useful place of information. dictionary.com gives the word jackanapes as a synonym for whipper-snapper. Now that's a word you don't see very often!

The only person I can think off who would use jackanapes in regular conversation was that brainbox kid on Countdown the other week :laugh:

Personally, I think that Cotterill is a jackanapes and that Scott Brown is a whipper-snapper.

i believe the phrase derives from the northern expression " whippet snatchers". :blink:

which reminds me....we didnt give that cheerless lot a chorus of " does your whippet know your here"....dammm :dance:

Archived