IGNORED

Just Noticed That.......

GeoTheCiderHead

Guest Harry Dolman

.....under Gary Johnson we haven't had any draws. Strange!!! Let's hope that that record keeps going at Port Vale on saturday....we win!!!! Still, I'd probably take a draw up there anyway!

I haven't looked at the stats but am sure if you look at Johnsons tenure at Yeovil they pretty much won/lost every game with very few draws.

Johnson's UK managerial record is:

Team From To Games Won Lost Drawn

Bristol C 26-09-2005 Present 13 3 10 0

Yeovil 19-06-2001 23-09-2005 221 116 59 46

Cambridge 22-10-1992 01-04-1995 135 41 57 37

His draw % at Yeovil was 20.8% and at Cambridge was 27%

Generally draws account for just under 30% of games.

So Jonhson's Yeovil record with approx 1/5 of matches ending in a draw was below average.

For a long time I have thought that playing out a game for a draw is extremely negative.

Without getting into the poltics of who the manager was etc last season we drew 16 matches.

Lets assume in over half the matches we hung on for a draw by being negative - that would have given us 8 matches where we could have pushed on for a win - but also stood a chance of losing.

So if we had played riskier football and converted just 3 of the draws into wins and lost the other 5 we'd have ended up with one more point. Winning 4 of the matches and losing 4 would have given us 4 more points, which over the course of a season really makes a difference.

I think the problem is that most managers (wrongly in my opinion) are happy to take a point out of game, but actually the rewards over the long term are much greater by going for the win. If a game is looking like a draw then you've already written off 2 points and you are hanging on for 1 point. You may as well risk that 1 point to finish up with 3. You actually have to get this right less times than you get it wrong to end up with more points!

There will be some games where you would be happy with a point and that would when the opposition you are playing are very close to you in the table and its either a relegation or promotion battle and you need to keep parity with the team you a playing. However, for lots of other matches where the points of the team you are playing are unimportant then managers should be prepared to take the risk.

For a long time I have thought that playing out a game for a draw is extremely negative.

Without getting into the poltics of who the manager was etc last season we drew 16 matches.

Lets assume in over half the matches we hung on for a draw by being negative - that would have given us 8 matches where we could have pushed on for a win - but also stood a chance of losing.

So if we had played riskier football and converted just 3 of the draws into wins and lost the other 5 we'd have ended up with one more point. Winning 4 of the matches and losing 4 would have given us 4 more points, which over the course of a season really makes a difference.

I think the problem is that most managers (wrongly in my opinion) are happy to take a point out of game, but actually the rewards over the long term are much greater by going for the win. If a game is looking like a draw then you've already written off 2 points and you are hanging on for 1 point. You may as well risk that 1 point to finish up with 3. You actually have to get this right less times than you get it wrong to end up with more points!

There will be some games where you would be happy with a point and that would when the opposition you are playing are very close to you in the table and its either a relegation or promotion battle and you need to keep parity with the team you a playing. However, for lots of other matches where the points of the team you are playing are unimportant then managers should be prepared to take the risk.

You've lost me!!!!! :dunno:

Archived