IGNORED

Tony Thorpe

Bcfc3660

Guest Legend City Man

I'm undecided on Tony Thorpe, he could have done alot better for us in my opinion but i'd have him back yeh.. Would he want to come back to Bristol thouh or will Danny Wilson try and snap him up as he only lives in MK.

Told all the Swindon fans what to expect and it was all right.

Arrogant, lazy, skillful and can finish but cries when dropped, soon leave for nothing.

I don't think many would have doubted you too much though. I knew of his history. Would've though he'd last more than the 10 or so games he played.

He isn't/wasn't shight.

The fact that he didn't score goals for us is vindictive of our awful long-ball style, not Thorpes striking ability.

I'm not saying he would of done it but you don't become a bad player overnight.

Told all the Swindon fans what to expect and it was all right.

Like we did about Grant Smith. Your point?

Guest BCFC_JOHNERZ_88

He isn't/wasn't shight.

The fact that he didn't score goals for us is vindictive of our awful long-ball style, not Thorpes striking ability.

I'm not saying he would of done it but you don't become a bad player overnight.

don't go losing your "mr. nice guy"image now :cool:

I wasn't sure about Thorpe when he joined - Reputation and age were my issues - Sure what Dave says about our tactics are spot-on and the brief to replace Sam Parkin (alongside Cureton) was a hard task but I still think he underachieved and sulked a bit too much for any managers liking.

He rarely featured under Iffy Onuora.

I wasn't sure about Thorpe when he joined - Reputation and age were my issues - Sure what Dave says about our tactics are spot-on and the brief to replace Sam Parkin (alongside Cureton) was a hard task but I still think he underachieved and sulked a bit too much for any managers liking.

The only laughs I've had this season is I told all the (so-called) Swindle fans in our village that in signing Thorpe & Cureton Andy King had effectively written his letter of resignation ...

Tony Thorpe, probably City's most influential player of the last decade.After spending a year under 3 different managers was immeadiately summoned back to the club by the 3 wise-men and almost single -handledly navigated the club away from the Pulisite regression period.The only reliable source of goals for the next 3 seasons in which he scored more goals for the club than all other strikers combined during his tenure: Akinbiyi,Jones,Beadle,Meacham,Roberts,Peacock,Brown,Spencer,Odejayi,Matthews,Pinamonte,Kid on loan from B.ham.......etc

Absolutely invaluable to Danny Wilson his goals enabled the club to achieve a level of stability whilst the nucleus of a new younger City side took shape,Phillips,Coles,Brown,Doherty,Hill,Hulbert,Clist,and whilst the Pulis expensive injury prone non performing journeymen gradually departed and retired:Millen,Mortimore,Jones,Beadle,Mercer,Holland,(Matthews ?),& Burns(the next Roy Keane).

In addition to being the catalyst of stability in the league he also scored crucial cup goals paving the way for record LDV revenue for our club from the final and a quarter million pound pay day at Leicester in the F.A.cup.

An interesting additional dimension of his footballing talents was that not only was he fleet-footed he was also play quick-witted and constantly won penalties, particularly noteworthy for after he left us we went nearly a season without being awarded one.

Awarded the highest honour in his industry by his fellow pro's as the best player in his position,sadly never fully appreciated by many City fans who perhaps had become accustomed to a diet of hard-working jouneymen strikers :Nugent,Baird,Torpey etc.Although perhaps wide spread knowledge that he was indeed well paid was a source of psycological discontent to many fans unacustomed to the salaries enjoyed by pro. soccer players.

Haha are you joking?

I was told the complete opposite in the summer.

Grant Smith is good and Heywood is ###### they said round here.

Well the other way round more like, and Smith hasn't had a chance, so can't comment on him, Heywood is a rock.

Oh, and change your signature, your bottom.

Tony Thorpe, probably City's most influential player of the last decade.After spending a year under 3 different managers was immeadiately summoned back to the club by the 3 wise-men and almost single -handledly navigated the club away from the Pulisite regression period.The only reliable source of goals for the next 3 seasons in which he scored more goals for the club than all other strikers combined during his tenure: Akinbiyi,Jones,Beadle,Meacham,Roberts,Peacock,Brown,Spencer,Odejayi,Matthews,Pinamonte,Kid on loan from B.ham.......etc

Absolutely invaluable to Danny Wilson his goals enabled the club to achieve a level of stability whilst the nucleus of a new younger City side took shape,Phillips,Coles,Brown,Doherty,Hill,Hulbert,Clist,and whilst the Pulis expensive injury prone non performing journeymen gradually departed and retired:Millen,Mortimore,Jones,Beadle,Mercer,Holland,(Matthews ?),& Burns(the next Roy Keane).

In addition to being the catalyst of stability in the league he also scored crucial cup goals paving the way for record LDV revenue for our club from the final and a quarter million pound pay day at Leicester in the F.A.cup.

An interesting additional dimension of his footballing talents was that not only was he fleet-footed he was also play quick-witted and constantly won penalties, particularly noteworthy for after he left us we went nearly a season without being awarded one.

Awarded the highest honour in his industry by his fellow pro's as the best player in his position,sadly never fully appreciated by many City fans who perhaps had become accustomed to a diet of hard-working jouneymen strikers :Nugent,Baird,Torpey etc.Although perhaps wide spread knowledge that he was indeed well paid was a source of psycological discontent to many fans unacustomed to the salaries enjoyed by pro. soccer players.

Spot on mate!! Still wouldnt want him back though

Archived