IGNORED

Bcfc: The Most Exciting Football Club...ever!

City Rocker

In conversation with a sag in the pub this evening, I put forward the view that City have had more ups and downs than any other club in the league. It then occurred to me that during the past 30 years I've actually watched City at the TOP of the old-old-division 1 (that's the Premiership kids!) AND the BOTTOM of division 4 (Coca Cola League 2) and probably just about every other league position in between. And that in a six year period between 1976 & 1982! Admittedly we were top for about 1 game and bottom for about 1 game, but I was there for all of em in between.

Is there any other club whose fans can possibly have experienced this ultimate extreme in one lifetime? Especially anyone under the age of 40? I know Swansea did the 1st to 4th thing a couple of years after us (but we were the first ever to do it!) and I think possibly Wolves did it later in the 80's? Also Wimbledon performed pretty much a reverse manoeuvre during the 80's but did any of these occupy both 92nd and 1st positions in the league during said runs? I doubt it.

Even in our modern era, say 1990 to the present day, we've rarely had a season that hasn't been a promotion or relegation struggle. I therefore nominate Bristol City as the most, erm, 'eventful' club in the whole of the league, ever! :city:

With that in mind, will anyone ever again choose to support the most mediocre club in the history of the Football League (that's Bristol Rovers) or will the future football fans of Bristol turn in fact to City, the most exciting football club of the past 30 years? :rolleyes:

In conversation with a sag in the pub this evening, I put forward the view that City have had more ups and downs than any other club in the league. It then occurred to me that during the past 30 years I've actually watched City at the TOP of the old-old-division 1 (that's the Premiership kids!) AND the BOTTOM of division 4 (Coca Cola League 2) and probably just about every other league position in between. And that in a six year period between 1976 & 1982! Admittedly we were top for about 1 game and bottom for about 1 game, but I was there for all of em in between.

Is there any other club whose fans can possibly have experienced this ultimate extreme in one lifetime? Especially anyone under the age of 40? I know Swansea did the 1st to 4th thing a couple of years after us (but we were the first ever to do it!) and I think possibly Wolves did it later in the 80's? Also Wimbledon performed pretty much a reverse manoeuvre during the 80's but did any of these occupy both 92nd and 1st positions in the league during said runs? I doubt it.

Even in our modern era, say 1990 to the present day, we've rarely had a season that hasn't been a promotion or relegation struggle. I therefore nominate Bristol City as the most, erm, 'eventful' club in the whole of the league, ever! :city:

With that in mind, will anyone ever again choose to support the most mediocre club in the history of the

Football League (that's Bristol Rovers) or will the future football fans of Bristol turn in fact to City, the most exciting football club of the past 30 years? :rolleyes:

I have difficulty sharing your view of our recent past as "eventful". My 42 years of following obviously has as its highlight the Dicks' era, the seasons prior to reaching the top-flight were enjoyable because of the developing nature of the side and the quality of play we were able to watch week in & week out.

If you study the record books of the last 20 years we really have not been offering much in the ups-and-downs stakes.At our level the likes of Crewe,Walsall,Bradford,and even Plymouth have offered more in the snakes & ladder movement charts.On the bigger stage fans of Man.City,West Ham,& Shef.Wed.also have become used to roller coaster rides.

My feeling is we have been blessed with the most consistant level of mediocrity possible.Old or young,inexperienced or seasoned a succession of managers have arrived & departed rarely ever having made any significant improvement to the product offering on the field.Real momentum has never been maintained for more than 2 seasons which condemns us to where we are today ...third rate football and which indeed has been our most frequent home of my 42 years of watching.

Yeah the word 'exciting' was used with tongue in cheek and the rollercoaster has been stuck in a trough for far too long now - but remember this came out of a chat with a Rovers fan and even he had to admit that we've had far more ups and downs in our recent history than his club have in the past 100+ years.

With due respect to Forest, Man City etc (obviously far bigger clubs than we'll ever be) the question still remains, is there any other set of fans apart from Bristol City that have seen their club at the top of the Premiership and the foot of League 2 (or equivalent) in a lifetime, never mind within 6 years?

With due respect to Forest, Man City etc (obviously far bigger clubs than we'll ever be) the question still remains, is there any other set of fans apart from Bristol City that have seen their club at the top of the Premiership and the foot of League 2 (or equivalent) in a lifetime, never mind within 6 years?

I understand that Northampton Town went from the old Div 4 to the top flight AND back down to the 4th division almost in successive seasons - during the late 60's - 70's? Coventry City have also played in all 4 main divisions including Div 3 North and South !!!!!

I understand that Northampton Town went from the old Div 4 to the top flight AND back down to the 4th division almost in successive seasons - during the late 60's - 70's? Coventry City have also played in all 4 main divisions including Div 3 North and South !!!!!

Northampton Town were the first club to do that.

I went to the football museum in Preston recently. Studied the league tables since the football league began. In all the time we have been in the League the Gas have only finished above us a handful of times!!

Northampton Town were the first club to do that.

I went to the football museum in Preston recently. Studied the league tables since the football league began. In all the time we have been in the League the Gas have only finished above us a handful of times!!

cheshire_red - don't forget to ring me on Saturday.

4th division to top flight and back to 4th within 10 years? Surely Northampton Town are the only club to have done that? :whistle:

Archived