IGNORED

Donnie Darko

PhatWill

Only just got round to watching this film, which seems to be becoming some sort of cult classic. Released in 2001 so god knows why its all of a sudden become popular, certainly due in some part to Mad World becoming Xmas number one this year.

Anyway, it's definetly one of the strangest and most mind-bending films I've ever seen. The film moves at a nice pace though as we gradually find out loads of weird things about the central character, Donnie Darko.

Despite being weird the film is endearing (particularly towards Donnie) and deals with loads of very interesting subjects.

It reminded me of American Beauty really as it shows how screwed up the world is (America in particular) , while being funny and being told in a way that links many characters together.

I would say that on first viewing it is perhaps even more engaging than American Beauty but is equally worth a second look.

Definetly worth a watch. Its going for £5.99 on www.play.com

7.5 out of 10 :D

Agreed, definately worth a watch, i was introduced to it last spring and was impressed if a little confused. Have watched it again since and it made more sense and have been assured by mates who've seen it several times that with every watch you realise and understand a few more things.

I bought it on dvd the other day and i got to say i'm still having trouble understanding it. I have only seen it once though. Can anyone shed any light?

As for the comparison with American Beauty, i can see where you're coming from. However American Beauty is very much a solid black comedy whereas i flet Donnie Darko to be dark comedy/sci fi. (Flirting between genres.) American Beauty edges it for me, mainly 'cause i had no problem understanding the film the first time i saw it.

I'd prefer to compare it to another what the ###### film, Vanilla Sky. I was thinking what the ######s going on from the accident onwards, however it did become clear at the end. If i'm honest though i didn't really like Vanilla sky, but i'm prepared to give Donnie Darko another go, once i've lyed down in a dark room.

I watched it recently and think i pretty much 'got it', i was impressed.

On the whole it just revolves around how much one 'insignificant' person can change and effect the lives of so many.

The film basically works on the premise that the jet engine falling on Donnies bed killed him (obviously), but it goes on to show us how life would be so different if he had not been in bed/killed (which is the majority of the film) - and even how his death ultimately saves the lives of others : his girlfriend and the guy he shoots that ran over his girlfriend. His death also ensures Patrick Swayzes character is not exposed as a pervert or padoephile (i forget what actually came to light regarding his character).

There are various clues throughout the film which led me to predict {to mates half way through the film} that he 'had been killed by the jet engine and was somehow travelling back in time.' The travelling back in time bit was off centre but i got the jet engine bit right, not to sound like a smart ass : i did media studies at a-level : education works!!

An example of such a clue is if you look closely - whenever we are shown what is on the television it says 'recorded earliar'.

I guess it was pretty obvious but i realised that Donnie was going to shoot that guy in the face/eye - thus killing him as soon as it was made clear he was a real person.

And its also said in the film that 'everyone dies alone' - so when the 'rabbit' told Donnie that the world was going to end in 28 days (or whatever it was) i think that ('everyone dies alone') leaned us toward thinking thats when Donnie would die - and not literally the entire world ending.

The cloisng scenes where we see all the various characters in their homes with the classic Mad World song playing over the top is outstanding - seeing the charatcers as themselves, for the first time in the film perhaps - with that song playing over the top was superb : again various messages about humans, their emotions, actions and the 'masks' we all wear.

Whilst both films are extremely thought provoking America Beauty is more visually attractive - i think I'm right in saying that it was Sam Mendes first film as director : he came from theatre to film so his method of framing shots is very different compared to other purley film directors.

They are ultimately different films but American Beauty is probably better in my eyes - i thought it was going to be the teenage girl who killed 'Lester' at the end but, having thought about it for the film to win Oscars it really had to be who it was - having a teenage girl kill someone because she wanted to keep her 'image' intact (the fact she was a virgin) was perhaps challenging society one step too far!

Just my humble opinions though!

Archived