IGNORED

Boxing Day

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

I thought I'd have a look at the other fixtures, as I feel a bit hard done by having a 1pm kick-off on Boxing Day 175 miles from Ashton Gate.

A quick glance through the fixtures would show that we certainly have one of the furthest to travel and the M25 is busy even on Boxing Day.

The Premiership seem to have given some consideration to their fans ( or cynically, their gate receipts) and probably the only other fans who have a long journey will be Sheffield Utd to Norwich.

I'm sure the fixtures for Boxing Day used to be reviewed and rearranged to make it easier for fans to see the game without spending hours on the road.

Quite why we couldn't be going to Swindon, Brentford or Walsall is beyond me.

Boxing Day Fixtures

Premiership

Charlton v Arsenal 12.45

Chelsea v Fulham 13.00

Tottenham v Birmingham 13.00

Liverpool v Newcastle 15.00

Man Utd v West Brom 15.00

Middlesbro' v Blackburn 15.00

Portsmouth v West Ham 15.00

Sunderland v Bolton 15.00

Wigan Athletic v Man City 15.00

Aston Villa v Everton 17.15

Coca-Cola Championship

Watford v Southampton 12.00

Brighton v QPR 13.00

Cardiff City v Plymouth 13.00

Preston NE v Sheff Weds 13.30

Burnley v Stoke City 15.00

Crewe v Hull City 15.00

Derby v Luton Town 15.00

Ipswich v C.Palace 15.00

Leeds Utd v Coventry 15.00

Leicester v Millwall 15.00

Sheff Utd v Norwich 15.00

Wolves v Reading 15.00

Coca-Cola Division One

Rotherham v Huddersfield 12.30

Brentford v Swansea City 13.00

Gillingham v Bristol City 13.00

Oldham v Bradford 13.00

Barnsley v Hartlepool 15.00

Nottm Forest v Doncaster 15.00

Port Vale v Blackpool 15.00

Scunthorpe v Chesterfield 15.00

Southend v MK Dons 15.00

Swindon v Colchester 15.00

Walsall v Tranmere 15.00

Coca-Cola Division Two

Barnet v Peterborough 13.00

Carlisle Utd v Darlington 13.00

Leyton Orient v R'den & Dmnds 13.00

Bristol Rovers v Shrewsbury 15.00

Bury v Grimsby 15.00

Cheltenham v Chester 15.00

Lincoln City v Boston United 15.00

Macclesfield v Stockport 15.00

Northampton v Mansfield 15.00

Oxford United v Notts County 15.00

Torquay v Wycombe 15.00

Wrexham v Rochdale 15.00

Yes it is bang out of order really. But that it is the way it goes sometimes, I will have to take my hard earned pennies to Wincanton races instead!! Would love to have gone on Boxing Day, but the distance and the KO timing after a day on the pop has knocked it on the head.

I used to live not far from Gillingham and would watch them on occasions (my only admission of supporting a team in blue and white).

Whenever I travelled to Bristol it would take at least three hours, traffic permitting, and a very long way by motorway.

I now live between Liverpool and Manchester and it takes me a similar length of time to travel "oop north" and a similar distance from Bristol.

What I am saying is that the Football League might have thought they were doing City a favour by not having them travel to the north west on Boxing Day, but they haven't made it any easier in reality.

Guest The Codfather 0312

Would you be there if we did?

It depends on money really. I's not that I don't want to go to the games it's just down to money and it's either food on the family table or a football match.

I used to live not far from Gillingham and would watch them on occasions (my only admission of supporting a team in blue and white).

Whenever I travelled to Bristol it would take at least three hours, traffic permitting, and a very long way by motorway.

I now live between Liverpool and Manchester and it takes me a similar length of time to travel "oop north" and a similar distance from Bristol.

What I am saying is that the Football League might have thought they were doing City a favour by not having them travel to the north west on Boxing Day, but they haven't made it any easier in reality.

Might be to do with us being at Stockport last year, and a lot of people arrived very late or missed the game altogether because the M6 was knackered (as it often is :) )

and the parking is a nightmare!! Watch out for parking zones as I know a mate who got a ticket last season for parking in what he thought was the right place to park, only to find he got a fine!!

Are you sure that he just didn't simply misread the notice? The officers may have just been saying that he was 'parking fine' and to show everyone else how it should be done :whistle:

Are you sure that he just didn't simply misread the notice? The officers may have just been saying that he was 'parking fine' and to show everyone else how it should be done :whistle:

He did get a refund in the end. But just thought I would warn anyone travelling that parrking is a bit dodgy near the ground. :(

I always go on Boxing day but alas this year i cant. With money being a bit tight and how far away the game is plus EDR pulling out the other week, it looks like i will have to listen to it on the radio.

But

COME ON YOU REDS.

Guest DrFaustus

Have you got a family? Like kids and wife/girlfriend?

The way you pontificate, you'd think you were the only 'man' yo have ever fathered a child. Some of us have a wife, family and girlfriend to support. Think yourself lucky. :D

Looking at the fixtures the League seem to have divided clubs into North or South section and paired within.,

hence lots of North v North - and we are paired with Gillingham as a South v South. The computer not appreciating that Gillingham is longer trip than say Forest or Wallsall ( who are home to Doncaster & Tranmere respectively in the Northern section) Swindon have Colchester at home as another South v South fixture.

What really annoys me is the 1.00 pm kick off time which gives fans even less time to travel.

Is this the usual unthinking police order blindly assuming that there will be trouble if City fans have time "to drink"?...............well before EVERY home game the local pubs to AG are rammed from about 12 with never any trouble from City fans so why do they think it will kick off? Has there ever been trouble at Gills v City?

They penalise everybody just to make their lives easier.

Also it winds me up when I see "no football shirts allowed" on pub doors when I travel to some aways (& on door of Tobacco Factory Bar on North St) ..................havn't these people got it yet? The Fans in shirts are the supporters, the nutters DON'T wear club shirts but easily identified by fake burberry caps,stone island jackets, mobiles clamped to ear etc.

At Bournemouth one pub was making fans wear their shirts inside out before admitting them !!! bizarre ""

• Admin

What really annoys me is the 1.00 pm kick off time which gives fans even less time to travel.

Realistically, its a minimum of a three hour trip, I guess most folk will leave 8.30 - 9.00 ish. That also means being careful about Xmas days alcohol intake, so both festive days are impinged on for those who enjoy a drink.

The only option for those not wishing to count the units is to travel on CATS, that looks like being a 12 hour day, leaving at 7.30am and not likely to be back much before the same time pm.

It took 4 hours to get to Stockport because of a crash last year on Boxing Day.

I'm expecting Gillingham to take 3+ hours and if we go we'll be leaving Bristol at 8am.

You do have to wonder why the FA don't think about these sorts of fixtures more. That said, the 1pm KO may be an advantage as the traffic won't be as bad early in the morning or mid-afternoon to early evening.

The way you pontificate, you'd think you were the only 'man' yo have ever fathered a child. Some of us have a wife, family and girlfriend to support. Think yourself lucky. :D

I think my self most fortunate not to be a GASHEAD

Guest DrFaustus

I think my self most fortunate not to be a GASHEAD

Did that take you a while to think up?

I think myself most fortunate not to be a pretend sackcloth wearer.

Archived