IGNORED

Merger Talk Again

Whirling Ted Smith

I caught the topic of the beginning of groundsharing talks and possible merger talks between the two Cambridge clubs (about 6.45pm) when I accidently tuned my car radio to Talksport . Mike Parry immediately said that he could not understand how (I'm loosly quoting) the seventh city, Bristol wanted to carry on with two "bum" (his word) clubs in the lower reaches of the football league. Seems to me he is looking forward to the day that football in this country is run NFL style and any club smaller than Everton shouldn't bother playing - he can see no further than large stadia, corporate boxes and superstars. Rant over.

I caught the topic of the beginning of groundsharing talks and possible merger talks between the two Cambridge clubs (about 6.45pm) when I accidently tuned my car radio to Talksport . Mike Parry immediately said that he could not understand how (I'm loosly quoting) the seventh city, Bristol wanted to carry on with two "bum" (his word) clubs in the lower reaches of the football league. Seems to me he is looking forward to the day that football in this country is run NFL style and any club smaller than Everton shouldn't bother playing - he can see no further than large stadia, corporate boxes and superstars. Rant over.

To be honest 5 live and talksport are pants for the majority of football fans,it seems if you are not in the prem then who are you.

Mike Parry tends to bring this up every so often. Not just us but Nottingham, Sheffield, Stoke etc. Past experience of listening to him means that the best way of shutting him up is for someone to go on air and suggest Liverpool and Everton do the same.

He also boasts about the fact that he only ever watches games from corporate seats now. He hasn't been on a terrace in years.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

To be honest 5 live are pants for the majority of football fans,it seems if you are not in the prem then who are you.

I thought you were clueless

That confirms it

Five Live had Colin Sexton on in the summer

They Cover many lower league games

So if you want to say something, try getting your facts right first eh!

Well, Five Live is efetcively a forum where this kind of thing is discussed. And there's no reasons why it shouldn't be discussed. There are some sensible reasons why some clubs might consider groundshares or mergers, as in the case of Cambridge City and United. Both clubs have something to gain from it.

As for us merging with the Gas - emotions aside - I don't think economically it would make any real sense. A groundshare, much as I would hate the idea, might have its advantages but a merger is plain stupid. I don't see how a Bristol United would be any more successful to be honest. It's a strange logic that suggests that two failing teams would suddenly become successful if they were to join forces.

Perhaps you should ring up and suggest Talksport merge with another station that has 'bum' listening figures as that would surely make sense? :whistle:

It's just a shame Rovers were created in the first place.

I think they are the main reason Bristol football has always so badly under achieved

Well its a view - although Gasheads would be able to argue that their roots are older than ours.

So it would be fairer to say it was our creation that has held them back. Which if you think about it is not all that bad.

Mike Parry is, and always will be, a donkeys rear end! Yesterday he was suggesting scrapping the offside law and replacing it with a rule that would only allow a goal to stand if the ball had been passed to three teammates prior to the goalscorer receiving the ball!! :doh::blink:

He constantly boasts about his "influence" with the FA., which is clearly all in his head. I think the only connection he has with football is he knows FA about it!! :laugh:

Guest ashtonyate

If you want Prem football a regenal team is the only way I think a stadum at around chippenham is the right place for it so it would pulling fans from Swindon and Wilkshire also Glos & Somerset as well as Bristol if this part of the Country is to be a forse in the footballing world it the only way it could be called Wessex United.

Now the down side I think Prem football is crap players looking to fall down when the wind blowes on them trying to get other players booked for nothing, most tackels with passion are free kicks not the football I am use to.

You do realise that phone in hosts tend to be contraversial on purpose to get people to phone in...

Ever noticed how Mike Parry and the other host dude (sorry, forgot his name) NEVER agree on anything, because it helps to stimulate debate?

When will everybody realise that football is agame, a game that everybody enjoys at all levels, yeah i'd like to be in the prem, but were not, who cares, i still go and watch on a saturday, and have a good laugh with me mates. Theres more to football than just the money. Money has killed the game more than what it has done for it.

porky parry is a wind up merchant. who knows what he really thinks, he just says what ever will cause the biggest stir.

city and rovurz will never merge for teh same reason that we all sift through web sites such as this. because too many people care too much about their clubs to ever let them lose their identities!!!!!!!!

Well its a view - although Gasheads would be able to argue that their roots are older than ours.

So it would be fairer to say it was our creation that has held them back. Which if you think about it is not all that bad.

So what they were formed first. There 'family club' and victim bull######*t over ambition ethos doesn't justify there 5000 hardcore - a hardcore that wouldn't go a miss in our efforts at greatness

I thought you were clueless

so because sexton was once on there WOW!!!

I said unless you are in the prem "it is a case of who are ya simple".

You here people call in and it sounds as if they be little you with their remarks.

Still it would be a boring world if we all agreed with each other?

Guest pentlandsl

Well, Five Live is efetcively a forum where this kind of thing is discussed. And there's no reasons why it shouldn't be discussed. There are some sensible reasons why some clubs might consider groundshares or mergers, as in the case of Cambridge City and United. Both clubs have something to gain from it.

As for us merging with the Gas - emotions aside - I don't think economically it would make any real sense. A groundshare, much as I would hate the idea, might have its advantages but a merger is plain stupid. I don't see how a Bristol United would be any more successful to be honest. It's a strange logic that suggests that two failing teams would suddenly become successful if they were to join forces.

I think the logic is that if they merge there would be one fanbase, bigger than than either currently has, a city united behind one team giving a sense of civic pride and an overall much greater revenue stream. All in all it makes a lot of sense on a lot of levels. Where it doesn't make sense is the overlooking of the pride, loyalty and tradition both sets of supporters have for their teams. There would be an initial furore over such a proposal but wha about in 10 or 20 years time - the new fans wouldn't know any different and the older fans would have accepted the inevitable.

Maybe better one secure team than two struggling to survive as we are at the moment.

If Dunsford has a falling out with the club or suddenly needed a large sum of money he could sell the Mem for housing. Likewise Lansdown could suddenly say enough is enough and withdraw his money from the club. Both scenarios would leave the clubs in a very desperate position. Would they both survive?

A single city club would be much more attractive to new investment and new backers.

I'm in favour of merging the clubs but have no problem with them staying as they are. Just throwing a few rational arguments into the mix for discussion.

Archived