IGNORED

Dab Radio Coverage

Cardy

Merry Xmas everyone.

I got a new personal DAB radio and I know I can obviously get Radio Bristol but can anyone tell me if I will be able to get full commentary of City's away matches which are often transmitted on the old 1548 MW. If not I may as well take it back !!

Cheers.

I have had a digital radio for a couple of years now, and spoke to Geoff Twentyman about the broadcasts on Radio Bristol. With 5 Live, they do 5 Live Extra for uninterrupted commentary sometimes. But there are currently no plans in place to do a secondary digital broadcast from Radio Bristol. In short, this means that your digital broadcast will be whatever is being broadcast on the FM frequency. It's a pain, obviously, because the uninterrupted broadcasts are the ones on MW.

Hope this helps

Jon

I have had a digital radio for a couple of years now, and spoke to Geoff Twentyman about the broadcasts on Radio Bristol. With 5 Live, they do 5 Live Extra for uninterrupted commentary sometimes. But there are currently no plans in place to do a secondary digital broadcast from Radio Bristol. In short, this means that your digital broadcast will be whatever is being broadcast on the FM frequency. It's a pain, obviously, because the uninterrupted broadcasts are the ones on MW.

Hope this helps

Jon

Thanks mate. Very useful - I will try it out tomorrow.

I love my digital radio - I don't have a T.V. so it's always on 5 Live or Talk Sport and the reception is clear as a bell, whereas MW is poor. I tend to listen to live commentary via my laptop if I'm at home it's better than MW, and I don't like the interruptions on FM. That means, of course, that I have to subscribe to World. One bonus of World is that sometimes I can't go to home games because I look after my boy, and it's the only place you can get live commmentary on home games.

5 Live sports Xtra sometimes just broadcasts the same as 5 Live, if there is nothing on at a particular time. It could be a reception problem, however. I have real trouble picking up Radio Bristol for some reason. I guess all sets are different, but I think you can select it to tune to local stations only, or to all available nationwide stations. I tried to re-tune to get Somerset Sound to hear the Yeovil game, but I couldn't get it. It may be that S S doesn't do digitalo

Guest The Codfather 0312
I bought my mother a digital radio for xmas. I'm having problems picking up 5 live sports extra and i live in Thornbury. Anybody have similar problems and/or suggestions? I can get most other channels including all other BBC radio stations.

What part of Thornbury do you live in? I live up by link road and the coverage I get is okish apart from sometimes it has a funny 5 mins. But for things like radio Bristol and Gwr I have to put the DAB up high so I get clear sound. But i can't get all the stations up here like 5 live and talksport but when I lived down the bottem of avon way I used to get everything with crystal clear sound.

Guest The Codfather 0312
Ive worked out that 5live sports xtra only transmits when there is an actual sporting event on, like football, cricket etc. Hence, I am now recieving perfect reception of the football!!

Codfather, I live a stones throw from Link Road! In fact, I can see it right now....

Just around the corner from me then. I can just about see it from my flat if I look out the window and down the hill. Well I can see the roundabout by it anyway.

Ive worked out that 5live sports xtra only transmits when there is an actual sporting event on, like football, cricket etc. Hence, I am now recieving perfect reception of the football!!

This is true, when there's no broadcast on, you'll get 'Station Unavailable' or some similar message.

Re Radio Bristol. I'm not sure if the same would apply, but when I lived in Leeds, BBC Radio Leeds would split its frequencies MW & FM for football, with Leeds United on FM & Bradford/Huddersfield on MW whether home or away, but the DAB station would always broadcast whichever game MW carried. I think Sheffield do it too.

If you live in Somerset (or most of it) you cannot get Radio Bristol Digital - I have tried for ages and then contacted Radio Bristol who told me that they did not have a licence to broadcast Digital in Somerset!!!!! :@

I bought a DAB alarm clock today and i am amazed that i cant get radio Bristol (or somerset sound) on the radio :dunno::( . I wish i had read this thread before buying :doh: .

I just looked up which channels you can get in Bristol compared to Bridgwater and you get about 20 more in Bristol. :dunno: :@ . Rollox :ph34r:

If you live in Somerset (or most of it) you cannot get Radio Bristol Digital - I have tried for ages and then contacted Radio Bristol who told me that they did not have a licence to broadcast Digital in Somerset!!!!! :@

I work all over somerset and get great coverage with my DAB in the car, though parts of frome are a bit bad and the reception ha ha ha

If I recall correctly, digital radio is broadcast on one of the old VHF television (405 line) bands on a vertical polarity.

If you live in an area of poor reception, there is no reason why you cannot get better reception by installing a decent outdoor aerial. A square aerial or vertical dipole should do the trick.

The message 'Station Unavailable' is received because the signal is not strong enough to decode. Digital broadcasts are more sensitive to variation and reception is not a gradual thing - it is either there or it isn't.

When you get a 'bubbly' reception, it means the station is on the limit of reception and could 'flip' either way. That's about the closest you'll get to 'weak' reception. As I said, normally, it's either there or it isn't ('station unavailable').

As for receiving Radio Bristol DAB in Somerset, well that depends on the quality of your aerial and your distance from the nearest transmitter, not a license! After all, it's just a radio signal, the same as your tv.

What Radio Bristol meant was probably that they didn't have a license to broadcast from a Somerset transmitter (Mendip?).

Enter your postcode here for an indicator of what you can comfortably receive:

UK DAB Radio

If I recall correctly, digital radio is broadcast on one of the old VHF television (405 line) bands on a vertical polarity.

If you live in an area of poor reception, there is no reason why you cannot get better reception by installing a decent outdoor aerial. A square aerial or vertical dipole should do the trick.

The message 'Station Unavailable' is received because the signal is not strong enough to decode. Digital broadcasts are more sensitive to variation and reception is not a gradual thing - it is either there or it isn't.

When you get a 'bubbly' reception, it means the station is on the limit of reception and could 'flip' either way. That's about the closest you'll get to 'weak' reception. As I said, normally, it's either there or it isn't ('station unavailable').

As for receiving Radio Bristol DAB in Somerset, well that depends on the quality of your aerial and your distance from the nearest transmitter, not a license! After all, it's just a radio signal, the same as your tv.

What Radio Bristol meant was probably that they didn't have a license to broadcast from a Somerset transmitter (Mendip?).

You are quite right - thanks

Enter your postcode here for an indicator of what you can comfortably receive:

UK DAB Radio

Archived