IGNORED

"by January It'll Be...

mozo

Those were the words of a number of people on this forum.

After City had lost their fifth, sixth and seventh league games on the trot, there were a fair few who were berating the positive-minded 'happy clappers' and were insisting that by January we would be as good as relegated. Why give Gary Johnson our patience and support, some said, when we're heading for league two under his guidance.

Two wins later and that opinion has been muted. We have three games left before the infamous 'january transfer window' all against bottom half teams. Even if we lose all three, I doubt that it would be 'too late' to keep us up.

However, if City manage to pick up points in, say, two of those games, the 'happy clappers' will surely have been vindicated for their progressive thinking.

Today's game is against a poorly performing team, but its not an easy away fixture. If we win, some on here'll no doubt claim we're going up, if we lose people'll say they were right, we're doomed.

We'll see, eh?

Happy Clappers versus Cynics up-date

Another small victory for the Happy Clappers yesterday. The pro-Gary Johnson brigade so far have been vidicated by the team's performances:

1. The team are playing as a unit, and the dressing room spirit seems good.

2. The improved form has been acheived by a team containing to of GJ's loanees.

3. Johnson has rightly praised his team, publicly.

The Cynics are on the ropes, but there are two more big games to come.

Those were the words of a number of people on this forum.

After City had lost their fifth, sixth and seventh league games on the trot, there were a fair few who were berating the positive-minded 'happy clappers' and were insisting that by January we would be as good as relegated. Why give Gary Johnson our patience and support, some said, when we're heading for league two under his guidance.

Two wins later and that opinion has been muted. We have three games left before the infamous 'january transfer window' all against bottom half teams. Even if we lose all three, I doubt that it would be 'too late' to keep us up.

However, if City manage to pick up points in, say, two of those games, the 'happy clappers' will surely have been vindicated for their progressive thinking.

Today's game is against a poorly performing team, but its not an easy away fixture. If we win, some on here'll no doubt claim we're going up, if we lose people'll say they were right, we're doomed.

We'll see, eh?

It's not just the results which have improved but also our performance, apart from 2nd half against Gillingham, who have a good home record. The players seem to want to play for the club and manager again now, we have been unlucky with injuries at the beginning of the season too.

I have never bad mouthed GJ, and I do feel he is the best man for the job, I'm very happy we are out of the bottom four but we still have a lot of hard work to do, and a long way to go, but we are only 11 points from playoffs. I will be happy with staying iin this league this season, then mounting a strong challenge ready for next season

Only time will tell, but I'm certainly feeling better towards the club and the team now than I did a few months ago

:city:

Witht he right backing from the board GJ will do a good job here. Even when we had lost 9 I wasn't too worried because I could see good signs. Despite our recent 10 point haul I think GJ has a big job on his hands. We lack quality down the left side and upfront in particular but also in many areas. Once GJ could see that a keeper who came out and caught crosses would be better than Phillips I was a fan.

Mozo - I find I agree with a lot that you say. Someone about five or six games ago said they had written us off this year as we were definitely going to be relegated. Even today some people are saying we'll definitely be relegated if Brooker is sold. There are loads of matches left yet and I have no doubts that Bristol City will NOT be relegated. This is because of the resources available to us. Comparisons with 1982 are irrelevant because in that season we were debarred from signing new players. How well we do now will depend on who GJ brings in as well as how those that stay continue to play. If new players are good they'll come at a price because others will want them but our final position will be higher than the one we are in now. On the other hand I hope there aren't too many "playoffs here we come" threads. It's not impossible but it's pretty unlikely. I think you can just about get to the play offs with 15 defeats and we have lost 12 already. Even so, what we've seen over the last 4 matches is a closer reflection of the quality of the team than the 7 league defeats were

Another small victory for the Happy Clappers yesterday. The pro-Gary Johnson brigade so far have been vidicated by the team's performances:

I am part of the pro-Gary Johnson brigade and stand by what I wrote when Gary Johnson was appointed i.e. Gary Johnson is this club's best managerial appointment for 9 years when John Ward came to us.

Mozo - I find I agree with a lot that you say. Someone about five or six games ago said they had written us off this year as we were definitely going to be relegated. Even today some people are saying we'll definitely be relegated if Brooker is sold. There are loads of matches left yet and I have no doubts that Bristol City will NOT be relegated. This is because of the resources available to us. Comparisons with 1982 are irrelevant because in that season we were debarred from signing new players. How well we do now will depend on who GJ brings in as well as how those that stay continue to play. If new players are good they'll come at a price because others will want them but our final position will be higher than the one we are in now. On the other hand I hope there aren't too many "playoffs here we come" threads. It's not impossible but it's pretty unlikely. I think you can just about get to the play offs with 15 defeats and we have lost 12 already. Even so, what we've seen over the last 4 matches is a closer reflection of the quality of the team than the 7 league defeats were

I'd think that's a realistic outlook, pretty much how I see it.

However, not time for I told you so's yet from either the Happy Clapper or Cynic camps yet.

The Yeovil game's huge, not just because of the local aspect, but because they're three points above us in the table. Add to that the 'Gary Johnson factor' and you've got a meaty fixture. Our recent form also means that expectation levels are rising.

Then a home game against an average side, which we'll need to pick up points from. 4 points from two games should appease both camps.

Up-date 2

The cynics are making waves, and the ardent happy-clappers are struggling to justify their patience again.

City's good form disproved the theory that 'by January it'll be too late', but the lack of meaningful transfer activity made for an anti-climactic January.

Cynics level the score, 1-1...big month ahead!

Archived