IGNORED

Phillphs On For Basso ?

Guest zider_head

Guest zider_head

What type of injury ?

Could be a massive 60 mins for steve here ?

Could make or break his city carrer this spell in goal, what happened to the bloke we got in the ex arsenal bloke ?

Guest zider_head

Imagine if he came and sat next to you and started one of his jesus talks you might just get back for the Yeovil game Hmm, I bet there's a smilie on here that conveys laughter but I'm too lazy to look for it.

Now can we get rid of him. Yet again the best shot stopper in the lower leagues is beaten by a 30 yarder......great

:Wave: :Wave: :Wave: bye bye

It certainly won't have impressed any potential buyers though.

At least if there were any doubts about Citys number 1, it now seems pretty clear, lets just hope his injury is not too serious!

We now await the vitriol from the Phillips haters!
I personally don't hate him, I just never trust him to not make a mistake for a whole game, imagine how the defenders feel.
Enjoy your couple of days,
thanks, you too, merry Christmas :whistle:
and hopefully Phillips can shut you all up on Wednesday night!

hopefully he won't be playing! bit touchy aren't you? :handbags:

bit touchy aren't you

Maybe I am. I really get fed up with the level of criticism he gets when he makes a mistake, and yet he never gets the praise he deserves when he has an excellent game, and despite what some believe, he has had some top games. Just watch the comments flow in and you will see what I mean.

Maybe I am. I really get fed up with the level of criticism he gets when he makes a mistake, and yet he never gets the praise he deserves when he has an excellent game, and despite what some believe, he has had some top games. Just watch the comments flow in and you will see what I mean.

I think most agree that Phillips has been a tremendous servant of the club, he's just not a keeper you could ever call solid.

His inconsistancy (perhaps better described as tendancy to make mistakes) has plagued his career, and it frustrates fans to lose 2 points in that manner.

Are you related?? I have never been inspired by his ability to carry out the basic fundamentals, he needs an excellent coach to improve his confidence, I am sure it would improve his game no ends. However, at BCFC we do not have the time/luxury to alow this to happen, if he can find this at another club then I would wish him well.

Guest RedAlex

Johnson says about no one should score from 30 yards, and then comments that the shot was "softly softly" and ended up in the net.

He is clearly irate at Steve again. Its not the first time this season he's done it. I can't believe he'll keep him in January and frankly good riddance.

Guest Cider Red Sam

I think one of the reasons he tends not to get the praise he deserves is because he gives himself so much praise anyway. Every time he has a good game he's on the website gloating about one of his saves (i can remember once when he was on the website making sure everyone realised he did actually tip a free kick onto the cross bar, because it looked like it just hit the cross bar straight away), and when he makes a mistake he always has an excuse (eg the "new" ball they were using in the FA Cup).

And responding to what someone else said, Gary Johnson certainly doesn't sound happy with the goal Phillips let in and said "Nobody should be scoring - for whatever reason - from 30 yards".

Another quote from Johnson... "Somehow the lad has hit the ball softly softly over 30 yards and its reached the back of the net"

Phillips had no wall to protect him when it was clear that he needed one of more then two players. Then let the shot in that was straight at him. And wasn't as commanding as basso. I thought there was a clear difference in class between them. I don't think Basso would have let in that goal, and phillips didn't have much today and did get stuck on his line a couple of times.

It looked like the ref forced Basso to go off, think he wanted his finger taped up cos it was only his little finger.

Guest CITY BOY DAVE

Isee the pick on Phillips crew are in town :doh: So he's having a bad season but don't the other 9 seasons count for anything he was alright then with you lot shouting out Englands no.1 and you call yourself loyal fans hang your heads in shame. I remember times when Phillips came out with injuries and still played and that to me says more than commitment Phillips is loyal to our club so why can't we be loyal to him.

Sit and think about it.......

Isee the pick on Phillips crew are in town :doh: So he's having a bad season but don't the other 9 seasons count for anything he was alright then with you lot shouting out Englands no.1 and you call yourself loyal fans hang your heads in shame. I remember times when Phillips came out with injuries and still played and that to me says more than commitment Phillips is loyal to our club so why can't we be loyal to him.

Sit and think about it.......

Right I have sat and thought about it and he has been a loyal servant to City. However, he has never filled me with confidence and I believe that Basso, I can only judge on what I see, is a better all round keeper, and Mr J obviously feels the same.

Guest claloudav

I agree with you there Dave, I mean Phillips is Bristol City and has been, he may not be absolutelty flawless - but is anyone? Basso had a poor couple of games before he began to settle in and i suspect with Phillips having missed the past 7 games (whereas he was used to playing game after game consecutively) it will probably take him time aswell to get back into the swing of things. You cannot automatically expect someone to come raring onto the pitch and make no mistakes after being frozen on the bench for a number of weeks.

Phillips had no wall to protect him when it was clear that he needed one of more then two players. Then let the shot in that was straight at him.

And it's up to him, and him alone, to sort the wall out. If he says he doesn't want a wall, then allows a shot to beat him like that, then he has to take the full blame.

I agree with you there Dave, I mean Phillips is Bristol City and has been, he may not be absolutelty flawless - but is anyone? Basso had a poor couple of games before he began to settle in and i suspect with Phillips having missed the past 7 games (whereas he was used to playing game after game consecutively) it will probably take him time aswell to get back into the swing of things. You cannot automatically expect someone to come raring onto the pitch and make no mistakes after being frozen on the bench for a number of weeks.

Cos they don't do training or play reserve games these days do they?

Phillips came in and made similar mistakes to those he was making before, for me there was no issue of being rusty, just dodgy.

Whats all the point going on about Basso & Phillips. no matter who's in goal they need our support especially this coming Wednesday against Rotheram. So lets get behind and support who's ever in goal on Wednesday. :clap:

The point is that one is clearly better than the other, and one cost us 2 points today.

Guest claloudav

you seem more concerned about the short term than the long term. the long term is what will make or break the relegation situation and that needs to be considered more carefully.

Whats all the point going on about Basso & Phillips. no matter who's in goal they need our support especially this coming Wednesday against Rotheram. So lets get behind and support who's ever in goal on Wednesday. :clap:

This is a forum for debate so I think that an essential part of it is debating about the quality of our players. Personally I think that Basso is the better keeper of the two and although phillips has been a great servant to the club this should not keep him in the side. If we have a better keeper then he should be played. However, I sincerely hope Phillips rises to the challange of competition on Wednesday and shows how good he is an we pick up three points and if his form improves and he deserves to be first choice again then he should be picked, but at the moment I can't see that happening.

Archived