IGNORED

The Value Of The Academy

mozo

As we've discussed on here recently, there was an article in the Evening Post about the future of the academy. There were two lists printed, one a list of academy players that have moved on and the money made from those sales. The other list was of players brought in and the money spent on them. Both amounts were around £2million spent/accumulated during a certain period of time.

What struck me was that whilst we had spent generally thriftily, we had accumulated very little from academy players (over half was from the sale of Lita, a player who joined from another academy). You might think 'oh well the academy isn't paying it's way', but it seems to me that we could have made far more than we did on some very talented players.

Coles, Doherty, Amankwaah, and Hill all left for less than their true value, for one reason or another. The Rosenior debacle was nothing short of embarrassing and you've got to wonder if the club have made a pigs ear of the way we cash in on academy talent.

In light of this, Golbourne has joined Anyinsah as a young prospect that has been flogged before making a name for himself at the club. Is this getting the best value for money?

On the one hand, I'd be outraged if Cotterill was sold in January, but at the same time, I'd hate for him leave on the cheap when his contract's expiring.

THE BIG QUESTION: Are we getting the most out of our assets??

I just don't know my lovely. I agree, I think Doherty, Coles etc. were sold on the cheap, but wasn't that because Brian didn't want rivals in the dressing room?

I don't know about Anyinsah. Preston don't seem to think he's ready. I do think it is a little disappointing when talented players leave before we've seen what they've really got, but I guess it's the nature of the beast.

I'll have you know that I've been supporting City since 3 seconds after the Big Bang you amateur.

I just don't know my lovely. I agree, I think Doherty, Coles etc. were sold on the cheap, but wasn't that because Brian didn't want rivals in the dressing room?

I don't know about Anyinsah. Preston don't seem to think he's ready. I do think it is a little disappointing when talented players leave before we've seen what they've really got, but I guess it's the nature of the beast.

I'll have you know that I've been supporting City since 3 seconds after the Big Bang you amateur.

Well sunshine, I'd say that players are leaving too early or two cheaply. As for Golbourne, should we hold on to our assets? (ooo-err!!)

Anyway Dagest, I vividly remember the Big Bang, I had a good view of the action from my window. I distinctly remember wearing a City shirt that day you imposter.

Well sunshine, I'd say that players are leaving too early or two cheaply. As for Golbourne, should we hold on to our assets? (ooo-err!!)

Anyway Dagest, I vividly remember the Big Bang, I had a good view of the action from my window. I distinctly remember wearing a City shirt that day you imposter.

That's a scandalous suggestion you blasphemer. And I can't beat it now, so you should be burnt at the stake instead you vile man.

Sorry if I'm being completly stupid, but what is/was the big bang????

Ask Mozo he was there allegedly. Between you and me though I have my doubts. Some say it was the sound of the door closing behind Tinnion. Others claim it was Phillips hitting the floor after hearing he was dropped. Who can truly say?

Archived