IGNORED

A Few Observations

buanryoh

I was just wondering when Ashton gate became a library like stadium? I couldn't hear any singing for most parts of the game and we were winning! I remember when we use to take the roof off with our singing, and I haven't been watching City for more than a decade. I'm talking about the games against Rotherham and Walsall.

Also, when we were winning against Walsall, we kept the ball in midfield for a while and didn't play the ball forward straight away, everyone seemed to shout their disapproval. We just kept it in midfield between Russel and Noble if i remember, as there was not much else on for them. I don't understand the fans mentality on this one. We were winning, we had possesion, nothing else seemed open to them. So why did a big section of fans feel that we had to play it quickly (forward) and lose possesion. Resulting in pressure against us? This happened a couple of times in the match. I would understand if we were losing but when we are winning it seems mad to me. It puts unwanted pressure on the team to be quicker and take more risks even when we don't need to.

Agree about the atmosphere (have the subbers given up om G block ?) I think the encouragement to go forward was based on 3 things

Walsall were there for the taking

We have an abysmal goal difference so even at 3 up we should keep going IMHO

The team were playing well and could quite easily have won by 5 or more ?

I was just wondering when Ashton gate became a library like stadium? I couldn't hear any singing for most parts of the game and we were winning! I remember when we use to take the roof off with our singing, and I haven't been watching City for more than a decade.

I also remember a time when it felt like we were all in it together.....and the noise we used to make!

'97 onwards is the time I've always ear marked for it getting boring. :(

Inhibitions? shyness? Living in such a self-concsiouss individualistic age?

Don't know whats happened?

Any Theories?

It has picked up a wee bit since the start of last season but if people won't sing.... :dunno:

I recon it's down to the old East End that the atmosphere as gone a little quiet, when the East End was open the noise bellowed out like crazy! It had a knock on effect to the rest of the stands and in turn caused a awsome atmosphere, the closest we get now is when Block B or behind the gaol in the atyeo start signing and get the other one gee'ed up ( one day they might get synched :D

First of all and most of all the E.E was an area where all singers from the other 3 sides could and did join in one place;IN UNRESERVED SEATING; Now mainly because of already reserved seats in other areas it is not possible for all to join up.

A unreserved area, in the new stand if it is built, may give a chance for this to happen again. Season tickets could still be brought.

A safe standing area would be even better but cant see it as platinium and hospitality is where the money is and thats the way the club will go. :(:dunno:

tbf mate after ten years without watching the city those 2 games had pretty pants away support

against bigger teams it would have been louder e.g.hartlepool play offs

Just to clarify, I mean't i have been watching city now for about 9 years, but not more than a decade. Not I haven't watched them in a decade. Sorry for the confusion

Agree about the atmosphere (have the subbers given up om G block ?) I think the encouragement to go forward was based on 3 things

Walsall were there for the taking

We have an abysmal goal difference so even at 3 up we should keep going IMHO

The team were playing well and could quite easily have won by 5 or more ?

I understand your point, but there is no need to rush things. If you watch Man Utd against a league 2 team you still wont see them running around the pitch and passing it at 90 miles an hour throughout the game, if at all.

In my first 2 seasons of watching City I sat in Dolman block B. There used to be great noise there. After those 2 seasons I was no longer in the "juvenile" age bracket and had to pay student prices so we moved to the Atyeo stand. Then I had a break from regular attendance due to university and came back as a season ticket holder again in the Dolman last season. I hardly ever hear block B singing again. What's happened to all the singers that used to sit there?

Guest North Street

In my first 2 seasons of watching City I sat in Dolman block B. There used to be great noise there. After those 2 seasons I was no longer in the "juvenile" age bracket and had to pay student prices so we moved to the Atyeo stand. Then I had a break from regular attendance due to university and came back as a season ticket holder again in the Dolman last season. I hardly ever hear block B singing again. What's happened to all the singers that used to sit there?

Dolman B used to have unreserved seating and many used to stand at the rear of the block.It was at times on the wild side in the eighties and nineties as Citys boy had the away fans in close proximity to show off to but it was noisy. Now i am sat next to christ knows who and his kids heading off to buy burgers , coke, & mars bars every five minutes.The club have stifled the atmosphere with their ultra pc approach, with their double standards and Draiseys letters and they are to blame for the demise of atmosphere at Ashton gate.

City's fans can still make a racket on the road noteably at Oldham and Vale but if that was witnessed in the Dolman B BCFC would have the riot police in. Our club actively discourages vocal support of the team.

Open the East End :whistle:

Dolman B used to have unreserved seating and many used to stand at the rear of the block.It was at times on the wild side in the eighties and nineties as Citys boy had the away fans in close proximity to show off to but it was noisy. Now i am sat next to christ knows who and his kids heading off to buy burgers , coke, & mars bars every five minutes.The club have stifled the atmosphere with their ultra pc approach, with their double standards and Draiseys letters and they are to blame for the demise of atmosphere at Ashton gate.

City's fans can still make a racket on the road noteably at Oldham and Vale but if that was witnessed in the Dolman B BCFC would have the riot police in. Our club actively discourages vocal support of the team.

Open the East End :whistle:

Hey man. Thats exactly where my City career began, although I have to admit the Atyeo was already built but the legacy of the B block Dolman lived on. We used to love it up there, we really did. Then it all went quiet and like Gazza, it was cheaper for me to sit in the Atyeo (E-Block). Turning up, expecting some fun (behind the goal - traditional spot for noise making an all that) it was full of middle aged women and people off buying over priced mars bars and returning to their shiny red seats and all this sort of bull5h1t shunanigans. I'd Stand up and try to enjoy myself and I'd just get 'sit down - I'm trying to watch the game'. Then theres the stewards to contend with.

Somehow, like minded up-for-the crack fans of this day and age need to get together, as collectivism is the key to creating a proud and quality atmosphere. The spreading out of these people, without a natural pull (like the East End) is why its so dull down there.

Utterly agree with you on the priority of our muppet features board. (Are they deliberately modelling themselves on the current government or what?)

Hey man. Thats exactly where my City career began, although I have to admit the Atyeo was already built but the legacy of the B block Dolman lived on. We used to love it up there, we really did. Then it all went quiet and like Gazza, it was cheaper for me to sit in the Atyeo (E-Block). Turning up, expecting some fun (behind the goal - traditional spot for noise making an all that) it was full of middle aged women and people off buying over priced mars bars and returning to their shiny red seats and all this sort of bull5h1t shunanigans. I'd Stand up and try to enjoy myself and I'd just get 'sit down - I'm trying to watch the game'. Then theres the stewards to contend with.

Went in Dolman B a few times when I was younger, and the atmosphere was mental. Now, no doubt if you were in that section, or any other part of the ground for that matter, and tried to stand up and start singing, you'd get loads of funny looks, like you were from another planet, and people telling you to sit down.

The atmosphere at away games is much better, and I'm sure that fans of almost every other club would say the same. For example, at Oldham earlier this season, there was a cracking atmosphere, even though we lost. A large proportion of City fans were stood up singing right throughout the second half, and at no point did anyone feel threatened, or complain, and none of the stewards ever felt the need to tell everyone to sit down.

Guest abbiebritt

I was just wondering when Ashton gate became a library like stadium? I couldn't hear any singing for most parts of the game and we were winning! I remember when we use to take the roof off with our singing, and I haven't been watching City for more than a decade. I'm talking about the games against Rotherham and Walsall.

Also, when we were winning against Walsall, we kept the ball in midfield for a while and didn't play the ball forward straight away, everyone seemed to shout their disapproval. We just kept it in midfield between Russel and Noble if i remember, as there was not much else on for them. I don't understand the fans mentality on this one. We were winning, we had possesion, nothing else seemed open to them. So why did a big section of fans feel that we had to play it quickly (forward) and lose possesion. Resulting in pressure against us? This happened a couple of times in the match. I would understand if we were losing but when we are winning it seems mad to me. It puts unwanted pressure on the team to be quicker and take more risks even when we don't need to.

The reason why silence & lack of atmosphere is abundant at Ashton & in most grounds now is that we all have to sit down & totally behave! This has taken the "fun" out of footy now, gone are the days of jumping up & down to A. Stay warm B. Celebrate in style, & C. Using the crowd vocalness to intimidate the oppositions players & fans!! There was always a wag ready with a caustic comment about players, ref's, linesmen & fans from both side, someone who would start off a song etc. Apart from the tragedy's of Hillsborough & Hysel standing room was never a problem! Thanks to the Taylor report it has since spoilt football.

Archived