IGNORED

The Old "2 For Each Position" Thing

gazareth

So it seems that our squad is being trimmed and new players are on their way. Will Johnson adopt Tinnion's "2 for each position" approach? Assuming that Phillips, the Smiths, Fortune and Gillespie are on their way, here's what we've got. I've put academy players in brackets and players that can cover other positions in italic (i.e. I think the position Johnson would rather have them in is another one):

GK: Basso (Pearce)

RB: Orr, Carey (Jones)

LB: Woodman, Partridge

CB: Heywood, Partridge, Carey, Keogh. Skuse

RM: Cotterill, Murray, Brown (Wring)

LM: Murray, Brown, Wilkshire (Williams)

CM: Noble, Russell, Skuse, Wilkshire, Brown, Orr

FW: Brooker, Savage, Stewart, Cotterill

This leaves us with shortages of cover in these areas:

Goalkeeper

Right back

Left back

Wide midfield

Striker

There's plenty of cover in central midfield and central defence, although I wouldn't be surprised if he brought in someone as cover at the back. I think he's more likely to loan out Keogh to Wycombe and use Skuse as the extra cover there and if necessary make more loan moves a la Sankofa. Then again he's also been looking at a 6' 8" Portuguese defender, so I may be talking out of my ass :D

Similarly he may well be looking long term and looking for a replacement for Wilkshire - if he's off then we're really rather short of proper quality in the middle after Noble and Russell.

As for the wide players, well we lack cover on either side but Murray's versatility means that he could sign either a right or left sided player and we'd be OK.

We all know he's after a striker and I reckon that in addition to Savage as the "big lump" striker, he'll bring in someone small and quick. Then we've got Stewart as a goal poacher (although that tag is ill-deserved so far this season!), Brooker as a bruiser who can cause problems with his strength, movement and aerial ability, and Savage who, well, Savage who is Bas Savage.

So basically we could do with new players in all areas, if only as cover. I didn't expect to come to that conclusion when I started writing :D

Discuss.

One of my favourite topics is we don't need 2 for each position.

Have consistently said on here that a squad of 18 good players with a decent reserve side with good young lads coming through, would do it.

That is, as opposed to a squad of 28/29 (or 38/40 two years ago) including 10 numpties.

The past 6 games have proved that - know what your best team is, and stick to it.

Injuries/suspensions can be dealt with by "utility" players, like there used to be - Paul Madeley, Donnie Gillies.

That way, this club might not lose £2m per season as it has done for the past 5.

It's one thing having cover, and all together different actually having adequate cover. In my mind we have nobody of any real quality in the middle if Russell or noble are injured. Where as the full back positions could be filled by players who could actually do an adequate job.

For me the midfield is the only area where if we lose two players from our starting four then we will find ourselves in real trouble.

Partridge Keogh add the cover that with a bit of shifting would still put out a strong back four.

We only have two central midfielders with the ability to control. Wilkshire has only looked good as a left winger with any consistency and when he has played central a lot of the time we have been apauling.

Overall if you take away the starting 11 from the last few games I would argue that the only players that could really warrant a real shot at first team footy are Phillips Partridge Wilkshire and Stewart. I think a lot of re-building is still to be done until we have a decent squad. All of our youngsters have either been sold or just aren't good enough. Brown for me is some way off the required standard and think he should only be playing the odd game. Skuse shouldn't be allowed near the first team at the moment because his performances have been a disgrace. Keugh has been ok at times and is for me in a similar position to Brown in that he could make a few appearances.

Archived